Stretching

Lisa

Has anyone found that they could stretch longer using a lye relaxer vs a no lye?

I just switched from a no lye (and it was hard to stretch 8 weeks) to a lye relaxer where I'm now 12 weeks post and I could go longer (but I'm afraid of breakage...I've had enough making the switch). Or is it my imagination :lol:

I can definitely stretch longer w/a lye relaxer when it is applied correctly. The no lye doesn't get my hair as straight, so the new growth shows up quicker, IMO.

I've actually noticed the opposite. I had been going to a lady who used lye on me and I could hardly stretch to twelve weeks. My last relaxer was no-lye, I will hit 16 weeks at the end of this week and the stretch has been a breeze.

But really, I don't think it has anything to do with lye or no-lye. For me I have been able to stretch longer because I have figured out how to keep my hair moisturized and how to detangle/comb without breakage.

I would assume that this is probably true because no lye is supposed to get your hair bone straight and lye seems to leave a little texture in the hair so therefore your newgrowth coming in with a lye perm maybe closer to the lye relaxed hair therefore easier to blend and manage and may also not break off at the demarcation line as easy.

This is just a possible explanation. I personally find it hard to stretch with either lye or no lye relaxers.

Back