Stretching w/o Direct Heat, Wigs, Weave or Braids--Can It Be Done?

prospurr4

I'm texlaxed, only 1 week post, and "attempting" to stretch my next touchup to December, which will be 5 months. Most of the stretching info. I've read involve the aid of at least one of the items listed in the title...

...but has anyone stretched "successfully" for as long as 5 months without any of them? If so, please share your tips/info.

My main concern is what styles to wear (and still look decent) after 3 months post, the longest I've stretched so far.

Thanks in advance! *ready with pen and paper*

Are you open to bantu knot outs, braidouts and twistouts? Curlformers, ponytail rollersets, and flexirods are a great choice as well.....I ONLY do braidouts because my twistouts suck as you can see in my siggy lol, bantus tangle my hair, I can't afford curlformers and rollersets and flexirods take too long but they came out nice the one time I did them..

So I could only give tips on braidouts lol

Last edited:
My vote is for Curlformers! They pull the new growth taut allowing it to get somewhat straight. Even though I'm natural now, I used to use them back when I was transitioning. I never had to use heat with them either (only airdrying).

The down side is that they can be a little pricey though.

I transitioned for 17.5 months by cowashing and bunning. I did an occasional roller set or curlformer set, but for the most part I just bunned, and it worked really well.

Are you open to bantu knot outs, braidouts and twistouts? Curlformers, ponytail rollersets, and flexirods are a great choice as well.....I ONLY do braidouts because my twistouts suck as you can see in my siggy lol, bantus tangle my hair, I can't afford curlformers and rollersets and flexirods take too long but they came out nice the one time I did them..

So I could only give tips on braidouts lol

Thanks LaFemme! I do wear twistouts, but they start looking a little "whack" after about 3 months post, and flexirods hurt...maybe I'm not doing them right. :ohwell:

...but has anyone stretched "successfully" for as long as 5 months without any of them? If so, please share your tips/info.
I always stretch for at least four months. This time, I am going for an eight month stretch. Twists left in until my hair dries, followed by twist-outs have made stretching very easy this around. Twist-outs match the texture of the rest of my hair to the texture of my roots, saving me the effort of blow-drying or otherwise climbing mountains in order to get my roots to appear straight.

I have stretched to 5 months without the use of direct heat or weaves/wigs/braids. At the time I used rollersets. What I would do is dry my hair under the blow dryer until it was about 90% dry usually the roots were still slightly damp. I would then take the rollers out and apply oil to my roots, make about 2 to 4 pony tails to stretch the new growth out and then re-roll the ends with flexi rods or magnetic rollers. I would sleep this way and in the morning my ng would be soft and smooth. I would wear my hair in updo's, buns and ponytails. At night for maintenance I would put my hair in to low pony tails tie a scarf around my edges and flexi rod my ends.

Now I do pretty much the same reggie but with air drying my hair and at 90% dry I oil, ponytail and roll it.

I've done 22 weeks. It wasn't so bad. I did it when I was pregnant. I wouldn't have even considered relaxing before my sixth month.

I did it by washing in sections and doing braidouts. This was before healthy hair knowledge, but instinctively I knew to wash in sections and braid my hair tight in sections while it was wet. I'd take out the braid and think "Hey, this looks kinda cute" and wear it that way and get compliments. I don't remember mad growth because I still wasn't treating my ends properly, but I do remember telling my stylist that "natural hair is sooo different than relaxed....it feels so strong..."...she didn't say anything.

We can be stretch buddies if you want. I am 5 weeks post and I am going for 20 weeks also. My feelings were hurt by my last stylist and I just don't want to go near another stylist right now. I also think that the only way I am going to push to BSL is to do one or two long stretches.

But back to how to:

Now I KNOW how to do it. With UBH Lotion Creme Moisturizer it will be easy. The consistency of it is very much like relaxer. When applied to my NG it smoothes it down much like the way it feels when they are smoothing your relaxer. I find that if I flatten my hair at that point with a scarf or flat braidout, the UBHLCM keeps it flat and moist. It works for me. I just can't say enough about it. By the way I have Type 4a hair with a section of 4bz across my crown from ear to ear, and my nape from earlobe to earlobe down is maybe 3a or 3b...so weird and that is the section that grows the slowest, although it never breaks. Makes getting to BSL and longer super hard.

HTH

When I stopped wearing cornrows, buns worked swell for stretching my relaxer. Five months was my usual stretch.

Bantu knot outs work for me (see siggy pic)
To stretch my hair, I braid my hair...then put lightly moisturised hair in bantu knots overnight. In the morn, I take it out, and my hair is 'straighted' and curled w/out heat.

I've done 22 weeks. It wasn't so bad. I did it when I was pregnant. I wouldn't have even considered relaxing before my sixth month.

I did it by washing in sections and doing braidouts. This was before healthy hair knowledge, but instinctively I knew to wash in sections and braid my hair tight in sections while it was wet. I'd take out the braid and think "Hey, this looks kinda cute" and wear it that way and get compliments. I don't remember mad growth because I still wasn't treating my ends properly, but I do remember telling my stylist that "natural hair is sooo different than relaxed....it feels so strong..."...she didn't say anything.

We can be stretch buddies if you want. I am 5 weeks post and I am going for 20 weeks also. My feelings were hurt by my last stylist and I just don't want to go near another stylist right now. I also think that the only way I am going to push to BSL is to do one or two long stretches.

But back to how to:

Now I KNOW how to do it. With UBH Lotion Creme Moisturizer it will be easy. The consistency of it is very much like relaxer. When applied to my NG it smoothes it down much like the way it feels when they are smoothing your relaxer. I find that if I flatten my hair at that point with a scarf or flat braidout, the UBHLCM keeps it flat and moist. It works for me. I just can't say enough about it. By the way I have Type 4a hair with a section of 4bz across my crown from ear to ear, and my nape from earlobe to earlobe down is maybe 3a or 3b...so weird and that is the section that grows the slowest, although it never breaks. Makes getting to BSL and longer super hard.

HTH

Thanks for responding, Chevelure!

I think I will see how far I can get with twistouts. They blend with my NG better than other styles, and I can wear them as updos beyond the second or third day, until my weekly wash.

My hair type is mainly 4b. The back is really cottony and coarse; it shrinks more than the rest of my hair, "appears" shorter, and is just slowing down my progress to WL. So, I plan to just forget about length for a while, until my touchup date of 12/23, which will be at 22 weeks post.

I wish you success with your stretch and that you reach BSL by your next touchup. Have you considered self-relaxing so you won't have to deal with stylist drama? I may be PMing you, from time to time, for encouragement. :)

Thanks ya'll for such great tips!

Last edited:
I have stretched to 5 months without the use of direct heat or weaves/wigs/braids. At the time I used rollersets. What I would do is dry my hair under the blow dryer until it was about 90% dry usually the roots were still slightly damp. I would then take the rollers out and apply oil to my roots, make about 2 to 4 pony tails to stretch the new growth out and then re-roll the ends with flexi rods or magnetic rollers. I would sleep this way and in the morning my ng would be soft and smooth. I would wear my hair in updo's, buns and ponytails. At night for maintenance I would put my hair in to low pony tails tie a scarf around my edges and flexi rod my ends.

Now I do pretty much the same reggie but with air drying my hair and at 90% dry I oil, ponytail and roll it.

I think oiling the roots is an excellent idea...I've never done this, but I just know it will help a lot. What kind of oil do you use?

Thanks, charmtreese! :)

Back