STRETCHING TOUCH-UP

mahogany66

I've noticed that alot of members are strectching the time b/t touch-ups. I was always told that is a NO NO because your hair would BREAK OFF!!!. Can anyone explain why they are doing this? and how can they do it without DAMAGING their hair?

Just try it. I thought I couldn't do it. I was like 'MY HAIR?!?! heck naww'. The more you do it, the better you get at it. You find the products that work for your hair, how you can improve your look.

Some people stretch w braids, I dont. For the first couple of weeks after a relaxer, I rollerset and flat iron roots. Next couple of weeks, I have to wash my hair more often and stop combing my hair when dry. The products I use during these times are sometimes diff. For the latter half I use more oils to slick down my hair. I also wear more protective styles.

Most people do it to avoid overlapping relaxers, helping your hair to retain strength so that it does not just grow and then break. When I think back I realize that my hair was not growing quickly enough to justify getting a touchup every 5-6 weeks, and I was continuously overlapping the chemicals, which is unhealthy. Your hair only needs to be relaxed once.

Also, it is recommended that you build up how long you stretch. Don't just jump from being a 6-weeker to a 10-weeker, it takes time to learn how to take care of your new growth without breakage.

HighlyFavored1 said:
Most people do it to avoid overlapping relaxers, helping your hair to retain strength so that it does not just grow and then break. When I think back I realize that my hair was not growing quickly enough to justify getting a touchup every 5-6 weeks, and I was continuously overlapping the chemicals, which is unhealthy. Your hair only needs to be relaxed once.

Also, it is recommended that you build up how long you stretch. Don't just jump from being a 6-weeker to a 10-weeker, it takes time to learn how to take care of your new growth without breakage.

I agree with this. If you look at your hair 6 weeks after a touch-up, there might be growth, but it's not like you've grown an entire new head of hair between week 4 and week 6. I think most people have been so conditioned that the hair has to be fried, dyed, and laid to the side at all times - at the first sign of growth the hair gets pounded into submission.

Mahogany66: Have you found a good conditioner for your dry hair? I'm going to suggest Jane Carter Solutions Nourish and Shine. I ADORE this stuff. It does wonders for my ends and keeps my hair smooth during my stretches.

You wrote:
IF ANYONE KNOWS of a moisturizer that I can put in my hair when I wear my hair down, let me know. I have DRY relaxed 4a/b hair. Water doesn't work!!

I do it because it prevents overlapping and thining. I thought going that long would break my hair off too, but it's oooooh so wrong. My hair is living proof that it works. A stylist couldn't tell me anything different....as a matter of fact, they still try to tell me not to wait for so long. If I listened to them my hair wouldn't be where it is today.

mahogany66 said:
I've noticed that alot of members are strectching the time b/t touch-ups. I was always told that is a NO NO because your hair would BREAK OFF!!!. Can anyone explain why they are doing this? and how can they do it without DAMAGING their hair?
It is one of the many myths we all learned about our hair, mainly from stylists and relaxer companies.

I love stretching for stronger, healthier hair. It feels good to only use a relaxer 4 x or less each year. It helps me see the demarcation much easier too.

I am stretching for the 1st time ever and I am 12 weeks post (trust me this is unheard of from me). I wash and moisturize often and am actually seeing less breakage then I can ever remember having. I also comb very rarely outisde of the shower or w/o conditioner. And I agree with the post that you can really see the demarcation line better. My hair is easier to manage after washing.....to me thats the key to stretching relaxers - washing often.

there's a great thread on the damaging effects of overlapping relaxers- it's a sort of tutorial with a diagram of a hair shaft and what happens if you relax every month like those of us were trained to do growing up. all that did was result in short hair that kept breaking off for me. ever since stretching my relaxers to every 3 months i've received so many comments on the length of my hair on those extremely rare occassions that i have it down. now make no mistake, if you try to stretch without the proper balance of moisture,protein, proper use of heat, hair protection, etc your hair really could break off and with good reason. it's all about how you treat it during the stetch and no matter how much my hair stylist grumbles, i will never again be a slave to the "every 5 weeks" myth:)

I first learned about stretching when i joined the board and normally got a relaxer at week 8 or 10 faithfully. For me, the first stretch was 16 weeks and then the next stretch was 24 weeks (6 months)

My main reason for stretching was to allow my hair an opportunity to get thicker and fill in more. In the past, even though I have had longer hair than what I do now, it was thinner and realized it may be that it was due to the fact that I got relaxers too often. Even though it's still not as thick as I would like, I could definitely tell a difference in the thickness and the strength of my hair after this past stretch.

Im stretching 12 weeks... Im trying :D
My first time... Im on my 6th week n Im doin pretty good, you should try :)

tuffCOOKiE said:
Just try it. I thought I couldn't do it. I was like 'MY HAIR?!?! heck naww'. The more you do it, the better you get at it. You find the products that work for your hair, how you can improve your look.

Some people stretch w braids, I dont. For the first couple of weeks after a relaxer, I rollerset and flat iron roots. Next couple of weeks, I have to wash my hair more often and stop combing my hair when dry. The products I use during these times are sometimes diff. For the latter half I use more oils to slick down my hair. I also wear more protective styles.

i stretch out my 3-4 months post relaxer with braids because i am hella lazy to try and live with 2 textures of hair...

WOW, thanks ALL,

After reading the posts, I am going to try this. My last touch-up was 4 wks and I was going to make an appt next week, but instead I am going to stretch my hair, I'm going to try a 12 wk stretch.

My stylist uses Kera Care Detangling poo, Humecto Conditioner and Kera CAre leave in conditioner and I know he is going to have a FIT when I see him again for my touch-up. Also, You guys have really given me confidence to ATTEMPT a roller set tonite. I'll let you all know how it came out..:)

Last edited:
aileenadq said:
Mahogany66: Have you found a good conditioner for your dry hair? I'm going to suggest Jane Carter Solutions Nourish and Shine. I ADORE this stuff. It does wonders for my ends and keeps my hair smooth during my stretches.

You wrote:
IF ANYONE KNOWS of a moisturizer that I can put in my hair when I wear my hair down, let me know. I have DRY relaxed 4a/b hair. Water doesn't work!!

I brought the Kera Care line of products and I used the Humecto Conditioner. If this doesn't help my dry hair then I will try the Jane Carter.. THAnks for the info.

I think stretching is easier when your hair is long. My short cut is gonna be trouble. It's already badly underprocessed. Do u have any tips for me? I think I have 2 touch up in 3 weeks.:ohwell:

I'll be stretching my relaxer for the VERY first time. Right now, I'm about 4 weeks post relaxer. Normally, I touch up every 6 weeks. I was an addict to this and would be excited about doing my relaxer because I didn't know how to control the new growth AND I would attempt to wear my standard blow in the wind bouncy bob with 1/2 inch of new growth. Thanks to you guys I now know that is a no-no. I will be moisturizing and wearing protective styles as I do my first stretch from 6 to 8 weeks. I am going to take it slow and not try to stretch to 10 or 12 unless my hair tells me I can do it. So we'll see what happens!

Back