Stretching relaxers and showing length

Armyqt

DO any of you ladies who stretch your relaxer out 3-4 months ever notice a visual length difference from the newgrowth that's accumulated? This probably sounds like a strange question, but I've been wondering about this. I've never really paid attention before, but now I'm documenting my progress month to month using photos. Will I be able to notice a difference in growth before I relax again without straightening my roots?

I noticed my length after I relaxed. Last March, I chopped my hair to a bob which was slightly longer than earlength. I did not relax again til July. During That 4 month period I wore textured stlyes (braid outs) and my friend flatironed my hair a couple of times. It seemed like my hair was not growing at all. I mean I saw a little bit of length but not anything that made it look like a dramatic change. But When I got my relaxer, I was at shoulder length after a trim. I was really surprised. I guess depends on how much your newgrowth shrinks up in order to see growth.

I notice a difference in length when I conditioner wash it. I still remember the first time I felt my hair hit my back.
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Crystena77 said:
I notice a difference in length when I conditioner wash it. I still remember the first time I felt my hair hit my back.
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

oh yeah i stretched too, but that was b4 i fractured my arm and couoldnt reach anymore
frown.gif

Well my new growth seems to grow outward--so unless I press the roots, I can't really see the progress until I do finally touch-up the roots--but that's good. My mother always tells me "a watched pot never boils"--so it forces you to have to wait a while to see any change
grin.gif
--and when the time comes to touch-up the roots, it's nice to see a significant difference.

I know exactly what you mean
smile.gif
. When I used to relax and stretch three to four months, I noticed length usually depending on the style I wore. I noticed length more when doing a rollerset as opposed to a braidout.

Chichi
bdance.gif

Yeah I noticed a difference. Before I relaxed the hair wash thick and bushy and just appeared to not be growing but I could feel the new growth after the relaxer it has stretched out. Right now my V is just touching my back (thank God)

[ QUOTE ]
karezone said:
Yeah I noticed a difference. Before I relaxed the hair wash thick and bushy and just appeared to not be growing but I could feel the new growth after the relaxer it has stretched out. Right now my V is just touching my back (thank God)

[/ QUOTE ]
doesnt that feel great?
drunk.gif

[ QUOTE ]
ayeshia said:
......I guess depends on how much your newgrowth shrinks up in order to see growth.

[/ QUOTE ]

I will be 14 wks this Wed. and I have notice my hair has gotten a little longer. As of late, I take my bun down at night to give it moisture and then wrap it. I think this is helping my roots not to shrink up as much thus I'm able to notice some additional length.

I notice the length best when the hair is wet from the shower and hanging down my back a bit. It's not as obvious as after a rollerset, but there's some indication of growth.

i REALLY noticed growth after the first time I stretched my relaxer to 12 weeks. I was
shocked.gif
.....So I will continue to stretch them just because of the difference I noticed in length and HEALTH of my hair, when I finally did relax.

[ QUOTE ]
Armyqt said:
DO any of you ladies who stretch your relaxer out 3-4 months ever notice a visual length difference from the newgrowth that's accumulated? .........Will I be able to notice a difference in growth before I relax again without straightening my roots?

[/ QUOTE ]

I would say yes in most cases if your monthly growth rate isn't too slow (maybe less than a 1/4 of an inch a month) and you don't have a drawn up tight type of shrinkage.

By taking pictures of progress I would think it would help you to notice the growth better than not to take pictures for reason stated by another posted earlier (a watched pot never cooks analogy). HTH!

Thanks for all the responses ladies. My new growth is coming in pretty loose right now. I credit that to the MSM I've been taking
wink.gif
. Over the next couple months as I stretch this relaxer out, I'd like to see a little progress for motivation to keep going. I'm afraid that if I don't see the progress, I'll be tempted to relax sooner. Well we'll see as this goes along. I'm trying not to pay too much attention to the growth rate, but I am taking a pic every 30 days to track my progress
smile.gif

I notice the new length accumalated from stretching out my relaxers when my hair is wet from rinsing out the creme. Otherwise my new growth is really thick with a lot of shrinkage and I can't tell how much longer my hair's gotten, it just looks thicker.

[ QUOTE ]
ayeshia said:
[ QUOTE ]
karezone said:

[/ QUOTE ]
doesnt that feel great?
drunk.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes it does.

right now im 13 weeks relaxer and my hair actually looks shorter. it seems that for every inch of new growth i get, it looks an inch shorter.
ohwell.gif

i noticed a difference this time
smile.gif
i did it (stretching relaxer) in the first place because i was getting discouraged from not seeing any noticable difference in length. i think it mentally helps you to see the actual difference you get from waiting to touch up longer. i have pics in my album with difference in length after the relaxer i did last week after waiting 13.5 weeks
smile.gif
---jainygirl

Also Anky, i know what you mean about shrinkage, look at the pic i took right before applying my relaxer- ALOT of shrinkage
laugh.gif

[ QUOTE ]
anky said:
right now im 13 weeks relaxer and my hair actually looks shorter. it seems that for every inch of new growth i get, it looks an inch shorter.
ohwell.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
Shrinkage sucks
mad.gif

Back