Stretching Relaxers...AGAIN....

Leslie_C

I know this topic is like beating a dead horse, but I just cant grasp the concept of stretching relaxers succesfully. The last couple of times Ive tried I have gotten breakage at the demarcation line(lovin the 1 inch long fly aways!) no matter how much moisturizing, co washing, or leaving it alone I do!

Now when I used to wear a phony pony for a week at a time I was able to stretch around 4 months with minimal breakage(5 months was just scary bc of all the matting)...but I guess thats bc I wasnt handling my hair at all during the week. Maybe I need to do this after week 8 because around week 7 is when the breakage/shedding starts.

Do u find it easier to stretch with frequent washing,conditioning and moisturizing or by leaving it alone as much as possible?

Any specific methods or products that make it less of a living hell to stretch it out? lol

I reached the point where I gave up but then remember when I did it before the boards without even thinking about it. Now its a matter of #1 it saves money by touching up less frequently, and #2 it does seem to help with gaining/retaining more length and thickness.

so, can we once again discuss this topic???
smile.gif

I stretch my relaxers to 12 weeks and I don't do any frequent washings or conditionings. I only wash my hair 1x a week. But I do moisturize frequently...also SCurl is my friend.
wink.gif
I think what makes it easy for me is that I leave my hair in one style: the bun. Therefore I don't have to do a whole lot of manipulating during the week. Once my hair is in the style of the bun, I don't comb through the roots unless I'm oiling my scalp w. coconut oil 1 or 2x a week. When I wash my hair, I don't do a whole lot of moving my hair around so detangling is not really a prob. HTH

I'm able to stretch to 12 weeks with few washings, every 2 weeks. The more I shampoo, the harder it is for me to stretch. It's just too much work.
smile.gif

Kitchen_tician, I have to agree because during the last few weeks before touchup, I sometimes consider skipping a week and washing after 2 weeks.
smile.gif

i find it easier to stretch when i wear braids a lot. i went to 21wks last time by alternating between cornrows, strawsets, and having the front of my hair braided and the back in a ponytail. i washed maybe once every 2 weeks once i got to 9wks post.. i didnt have any breakage and HARDLY any split ends when i finally relaxed.

What do you ladies use to keep the hair moisturized during the week? Scurl? And butters? Cremes?

I just rub a little oil on my hands and run them through my hair. ORS Carrot Oil softened my new growth a great deal though! I alternate the ORS with Profectiv Healthy Ends, along with the oils.. (i use b&b oil it up).

Thanks candibaby
smile.gif
Do you moisturize daily?I see youlike Nexxus..what do you think of the humectress (have you used Keracare's..if yes..how does it compare?)and the emergencee?

I do moisturize my hair daily, for the first 3 or 4 days after I wash my hair, I use carrot oil, then after that I use healthy ends.

Yes.. I LOVE Nexxus! Humectress is my favorite conditioner, it gives me great slip, makes my hair soft, smells good, can be used as a leave-in.. it never fails to work wonderfully. I've used KeraCare Humecto, it's alright, but it didnt give as much slip or moisture as Humectress.

I've never used Emergencee.. I want to, I just havent had the nerve to spend $15 on that little tiny bottle!

I stretch my relaxers for 3-4 months, then again I'm texturized but I do co washes every other night and frequently moisturize. I separate my hair in sections when I wash and detangle my hair while wet with conditioner on it.

this is my eighth week, trying hold out for twelve weeks and I'm considering putting in a weave or braids. Breakage right now is minimal, but i'm shedding like a cat!! I deep condition my hair once a week, co wash and moisturize like twice a week and keep it in a bun. Humectress is a favorite of mine, but I'm out of it so I used the Humecto the other night and suprisingly it gave me good slip

i stretch 4-5 months, ive gone a year tho, i wash 2-3xs a week only because i do twist outs. i only comb my hair when wet and i only comb it after ive applied conditioner, s-curl, or setting lotion for my twists.

stretching my relaxer causes my roots to puff quicker than normal, so thats why i wash so frequently. for my edges i just put some aloe vera gel on it and put a scarf on it
smile.gif

ITA with what others have mentioned. I wash less frequently (once a week) at the final month. for me S-Curl is very good for the new growth. I also wear my hair in cornrow extensions because I find that the less manipulation the better.

Back