Stretching Question

buttaflye03

Ladies help me out here. When stretching (or trying to) doesn't washing, co-washing, etc so frequently really bring out the new growth in your hair really fast? What I mean is, when my hair is looking nice and straight and then I go wash my hair, the closer I am to my next relaxer the more my roots are saying HELLO I am here! Usu. at this point I have them blow out the roots so my hair can lay down. Sometimes I let my hair go beyond two weeks without washing just so my hair can "look" straighter than I know it will be after the wash. Isn't my new growth there regardless if I wash frequently or not?

I hope I explained myself well. I am only 4 weeks post relaxer and my roots are already "crunchy" after my wash and set Friday. I finally bought some rollers today and will probably start trying to wash and set my own hair thia week, so I'm worried about my NG and how to handle them when wet. I'm new here and I am just trying to understand it all. TIA!

I'm not sure I understand the question but I've realized that the further post relaxer I am, the longer I go between, washes, the better. I also...just recently...decided that airdrying is no longer and option at 8 weeks...I rollerset and hold out as long as possible.

That's what I'm saying too. I would think the longer between washes the better, but I 'm confused because it seems that alot of members here wash their hair a few times a week. Thanks for responding.:)

ETA: You're comparison pics are awesome!

Yes I do think that your ng is more noticeable the longer you stretch. However I have noticed that the only time that I can do anything with my hair is when it is wet. So after CO washing it and puting it in a ponytail to wear my phony or phonie bun I don't comb it any more until the next time that I wet it.

Now I am almost 20 weeks post ( no money :D ) and I am enjoying every momen of it. I have started wet setting my hair but like I said I don't comb it any time expect when wet.

senimoni said:
I'm not sure I understand the question but I've realized that the further post relaxer I am, the longer I go between, washes, the better. I also...just recently...decided that airdrying is no longer and option at 8 weeks...I rollerset and hold out as long as possible.

I think I'll try this. It might be helpful this time around to prolong shampoos to two weeks instead of every week.

Hi ladies I am currently 8 wks post relaxer and I was wondering about the stretching also. It seems that after I cw and comb with a wide tooth I'm still having alot of breakage from tugging on the hair any suggestions.

duanita27 said:
Hi ladies I am currently 8 wks post relaxer and I was wondering about the stretching also. It seems that after I cw and comb with a wide tooth I'm still having alot of breakage from tugging on the hair any suggestions.

Make sure that you slather the conditioner on your hair before combing. IMO the co-washes keep my NG more manageable. But your hair must be saturated with con b4 combing!!

LAYDEE said:
Make sure that you slather the conditioner on your hair before combing. IMO the co-washes keep my NG more manageable. But your hair must be saturated with con b4 combing!!

Okay, so slather on the conditioner, comb, then rinse? Or is this a leave-in conditioner?

buttaflye03 said:
Okay, so slather on the conditioner, comb, then rinse? Or is this a leave-in conditioner?

No its regular condioner. I use NTM, and i cover my entire head from root to tip. i let alittle water run down my hair(shower) then i use my shower comb(jilbere or ouchless) and comb thru maybe 3-4 times.then proceed to rinse.

**Before i do this I usually do a deep condition. I mix honey, evoo and conditoner. add to my hair and sit under heating cap or hooded dryer for 30min to an hour. This make my hair feel so soft and manageable.

LAYDEE said:
No its regular condioner. I use NTM, and i cover my entire head from root to tip. i let alittle water run down my hair(shower) then i use my shower comb(jilbere or ouchless) and comb thru maybe 3-4 times.then proceed to rinse.

**Before i do this I usually do a deep condition. I mix honey, evoo and conditoner. add to my hair and sit under heating cap or hooded dryer for 30min to an hour. This make my hair feel so soft and manageable.

Thank you:)

buttaflye03 said:
That's what I'm saying too. I would think the longer between washes the better, but I 'm confused because it seems that alot of members here wash their hair a few times a week. Thanks for responding.:)

ETA: You're comparison pics are awesome!

Girl, I'm a once a week shampoo-er. There are quite a few that don't shampoo several times a week.

I do agree that the further out you are, the less manipulation, the better. For me that means not wetting my hair more than once a week unless I'm misting it with water/oil to pull it back into a bun.

Back