Stretching....New Growth

West Valley

Hi Ladies! I am new here and have been lurking long before I signed up:look:

I am still trying to find a regimen that works for me, but I am having a bit of trouble with stretching and combing. Before joining LHCF I would go about 12 weeks before getting a relaxer (who knew there was a name for it) but now I am trying to go longer. With the new growth I am having trouble with styling after washing. My hair is thick and it's a doosey trying to style and by styling I mean simply putting it back in a bun. If I don't comb it back into a bun my hair won't lay right to look decent. What am I doing wrong? I am trying out co-washing...loved it the first time I did it but last night I tried pre-pooing....not for me:ohwell:. So basically I need help with low manipulation and maybe a GOOD leave in conditioner that has some army force type of detangler :grin:. I have tried both liquid and cream leave ins and can't find one that will give me what I need. I did not like the cream leave in so I am looking for liquid. Anyone have advice on combing, styling and a good leave in? Any advice is appreciated.

My goal at least for the next six months is to find a regimen that works best with my hair, stretch til May, low maintenance and co-washing.

When I'm stretching and it gets to the point where its hard to lay down or get into a bun. I try working with the new growth instead of against it. For example, instead of trying to make it lay down I do textured styles, like bantu knots or braidouts. Try to use NTM silk touch leave-in cream and tie it down with a scarf overnight (sylver2's method) then in the morning it should lay down if you really want to stick with the buns. Also don't try to comb through the new growth... if you must do it then wait until you are washing your hair and its soaked with conditioner. Try ORS replenishing paks...it makes my hair soft. Good luck!:spinning:

When I'm stretching and it gets to the point where its hard to lay down or get into a bun. I try working with the new growth instead of against it. For example, instead of trying to make it lay down I do textured styles, like bantu knots or braidouts. Try to use NTM silk touch leave-in cream and tie it down with a scarf overnight (sylver2's method) then in the morning it should lay down if you really want to stick with the buns. Also don't try to comb through the new growth... if you must do it then wait until you are washing your hair and its soaked with conditioner. Try ORS replenishing paks...it makes my hair soft. Good luck!:spinning:

Thanks! I love ORS replenishing paks. Sorry I am still trying to figure out all the acronyms, what is NTM?

I think its Neutrogena Triple Moisture...I wanna get some of that too, I need a new leave in, I find I have to moisturize 2 times a day

My little helpers...
  • detangle only in the shower when hair is soaking wet and has conditioner on it
  • prior to washing put hair in sections - fat loose braids or twists...that way it doesn't tangle while you're washing it
  • undo a section, apply conditioner, detangle from the bottom up with a shower comb, wide tooth comb or fingers, redo braid or twist and then move on to the next section
  • check out www.growafrohairlong.com and look at the washing technique Robin Woods uses. It really saved my hair. No tangles and no hair in the drain
And as someone mentioned, slap that scarf on it after you moisturize and seal in the moisture and leave on over night and your hair will lay down.

Props to you for stretching your relaxer prior to LHCF :yep:

Last edited:
To make detangling easier in the shower. Use Capilo Avocado Conditioner. It works for me I have near 3 inches of New Growth and 30 weeks post relaxer. I would need Jesus if it were not for that stuff. I also use Capilo Balsam rinse.. But the Avocado alone will do. I was in shock while detangling. I use Salerm21 Leave in it also gives slip. After the wash and leave in put it in a bun and tie it down and it will lay down. Good luck stretching.

When I would stretch with my own hair out...I would do most of my hair styling in the shower.
I would let the steam of water put my hair back in a loose pony tail...tie it up in a towel to sop up the water, then slather leave in conditioner, which would keep the hair down.

Of course without my trusty satin scarf, to tie it down through the night...the style would not be complete.

For now, my hair isn't super duper long yet (almost full APL now), but I think it is too long to be doing all of that stuff. Plus I'm trying to do very little manipulation. Some people can do alot of manipulation. I have learned that my hair doesn't want it or like it or else it will break. So for 2008 I am stretching in a full curly weave with it cornrowed underneath.

I don't know if weaves are for you, but I don't want to wear MY own hair out everyday. I want to retain my ends and all the NG that I grow.

Back