Stretching for shrinkage???

curlycrocheter

I love the look of twists in general. I love the versatility of styling with them and I think I look very Boho Chic when I wear them :look:

However, I only like them for the first day. When I finish doing my twists (I usually do about 20) they fall right @ my shoulders or a little lower and I'm about 1 inch from BSL strecthed. But when my twists dry, they shrink up literally to my chin!! :wallbash:

It's sooooo frustrating because I have all these cute styles planned, but I can't get my twists to stay stretched!! I expect some shrinkage but 5 inches worth?? :nono:

Ladies, please!! I'm begging...how do you keep your twists stretched out????

If you twist your hair when it is dry it will remain stretched. Twisting your hair when it is wet or damp will cause it to shrink.

That makes sense. Do you use the same products to twist dry hair that you would for wet hair?

Excuse my ignorance, but I don't twist my hair often..just looking for a little guidance :giggle:

Sometimes I put clips at the ends of them, maybe 3 per clip and then I blowdry on low so they dry stretched. They still shrink up but not that much.

That makes sense. Do you use the same products to twist dry hair that you would for wet hair?

Excuse my ignorance, but I don't twist my hair often..just looking for a little guidance :giggle:

It is ok. I do use the same product which is a diluted As Smooth as Silk Conditioner.

I agree. Twist your hair when it is dry. On the second day at night, I retwist my hair dry and my twists come out longer, better, but make sure they're moisturized. As well as banding the twisted hair , it'll produce more looser waves than actual curly waves you get from the twists, but it still allows length to b shown.

I kind of do the same thing as e.lauren. I twist my hair when it's wet and I stretch out the twist and I blow dry them using the nozzle attachment. My hair stays streched when I do them that way. I don't use the same products on dry hair when I do twist like I do with wet. When I twist my hair wet I just use aloe vera gel and when I twist on dry hair I use ORS twist and lock.

Ok...this makes sense. I just don't like manipulating my hair dry...it's like i can hear it ripping
:drunk: You dont have to manip it fully dry. Damp but not too wet can do the trick. It's always good to spray your twist out before retwisting it. Too much water will shrink it.:perplexed

What styles are you thinking of trying? I always style my twists damp. I literally will CW just so that I can be able to work with them. I don't like to style dry twists; I feel as if I'd break my strands. The elasticity when wet makes them easier to work with. Some styles created on damp twists:
TwistsAlongPerimeter706-vi.jpg

TwistsinPigtails07_2006-vi.jpg

TwistandPhonyPuffCozySept2008-vi.jpg

SimpleTwistUpdo-vi.jpg

Mynewtwistupdo-vi.jpg

Back