Stretching and Hair type:spinoff

HeChangedMyName

For all the relaxed/texlaxed ladies:

Do you stretch?
How long?
What is your hair type?
Do you get a lot of breakage?

If you do stretch please share your regimen for keeping the newgrowth from breaking at the demarcation line.

We were talking in the other thread about losing hair while stretching. And I wonder how much hair type effects the benefits of stretching. Does looser hair texttur fare better in long stretches? Does the tighter textured hair cause more damage along the demarcation line?

Last edited:
Do you stretch? Yes
How long? 12-16 weeks
What is your hair type? 4b
Do you get a lot of breakage? No, Thank God! I just shed a lot.

Do you stretch? Yes
How long? i relaxe about every four months this time around 8 months
Do you get a lot of breakage? hmmm not reall jus shedding

Do you stretch? All the time.

How long? 4-6 months

What is your hair type? 4 a/b, Fine textured, relaxed straight, medium, normal thickness, below SL

Do you get a lot of breakage? No. I used to stretch to 3 months at most but in the last two years I have been going for at least four months. At first there was breakage when I went past 12 weeks bcuz I was combing the new growth and straightening, but since, I have learned not to touch the hair at all. I pick styles that help blend the two textures, such as, braidouts, permrod sets, any style where I don't have to manipulate but only on wash days with loads of conditioner.

Stretching is not for everybody but everyone can benefit especially if you have overprocessed hair. When I am over 3 months post, I wash only once a week, DC 30 minutes, Apply leave-ins that moisturize, I may braid 6 plaits or put a few flexi-rods on the ends, then tie a scarf around my head real tight, apply heat to set the newgrowth smooth and airdry the rest, take down apply my moisturizer to smooth the roots down more then re-apply scarf for longer. This helps so much with the roots and cutting back on breakage since I hardly comb out new growth unless its wet and full of conditioner.

Check out Slyver2's fotki. She has the tutorial on how she stretches and she's waist length relaxed. This is how I learned about the importance of leave-ins and what a good scarf can do for you. HTH!

Do you stretch?
No

How long?
I relax every 8-9 weeks.

What is your hair type?
4b

When I did stretch, I didn't have a problem with breakage. My issue was tangling/matting.

Does looser hair texttur fare better in long stretches? Does the tighter textured hair cause more damage along the demarcation line?
I don't really know because I've only had experience with my own 4b texture. I know that I (and my hair) don't like stretching. The longest I've ever stretched a relaxer is 14 weeks...never again.:nono:

Do you stretch? Yes
How long? 12 weeks
What is your hair type? 4ish.
Do you get a lot of breakage? If I did I wouldn't stretch anymore so no.

Do you stretch? All the time.

How long? 4-6 months

What is your hair type? 4 a/b, Fine textured, relaxed straight, medium, normal thickness, below SL

Do you get a lot of breakage? No. I used to stretch to 3 months at most but in the last two years I have been going for at least four months. At first there was breakage when I went past 12 weeks bcuz I was combing the new growth and straightening, but since, I have learned not to touch the hair at all. I pick styles that help blend the two textures, such as, braidouts, permrod sets, any style where I don't have to manipulate but only on wash days with loads of conditioner.

Stretching is not for everybody but everyone can benefit especially if you have overprocessed hair. When I am over 3 months post, I wash only once a week, DC 30 minutes, Apply leave-ins that moisturize, I may braid 6 plaits or put a few flexi-rods on the ends, then tie a scarf around my head real tight, apply heat to set the newgrowth smooth and airdry the rest, take down apply my moisturizer to smooth the roots down more then re-apply scarf for longer. This helps so much with the roots and cutting back on breakage since I hardly comb out new growth unless its wet and full of conditioner.

Check out Slyver2's fotki. She has the tutorial on how she stretches and she's waist length relaxed. This is how I learned about the importance of leave-ins and what a good scarf can do for you. HTH!

Small correction: It's SYLVER2. I just looked her up -- good info! :)

i am relaxed(transitioning)
i usually stretch for 3 -4 months. but have been stretching now for 11 months.
i think my hair type is a 3c but dont quote me on that
i co wash everyday so no, i dont get much breakage.

Do you stretch? Yes
How long? 24 weeks (approx. 6 months)
Do you get a lot of breakage? No. And that's only b/c I wear a sew-in the whole time and my stylist does the take down and detangling.

Do you stretch? not really
How long? i wait 12 weeks.
What is your hair type? 4a, with coils varying from pen spring sized to chopstick sized :)
Do you get a lot of breakage? none

i know i probably could stretch for a lot longer, but i just don't want to. plus, it gets harder to blow-dry my hair perfectly straight the further away i am from a relaxer. i don't like using the flat iron, so i just go ahead and relax :yep:

Do you stretch? Not after this one
How long? the first- 5 month, this time - 3 months
What is your hair type? 3c/4a
Do you get a lot of breakage - I did this time.

I don't think I will be stretching my relaxers again. I have a lot of shedding and I need to figure out how to stop it.:ohwell:

Do you stretch? Yes, I do.
How long? 12 weeks
What is your hair type? 4a
Do you get a lot of breakage? Not a lot. I get some breakage, but it's normal or at least not from stretching.

I would keep my new growth super moisturized/conditioned and wear protective styles that limit manipulation in order to limit breakage at the line of dermaction. I would also do a protein treatment around 10 weeks and beyond to help with that.

Do you stretch? Yes
How long? 24 weeks (approx. 6 months)
Do you get a lot of breakage? No. And that's only b/c I wear a sew-in the whole time and my stylist does the take down and detangling.

How do you make your weave last for 6 months? I would love to see pics.

I used to stretch for 3 months when I had a Wave Nouveau :drunk: but my hair didnt break off probably because I use to steadily over moisturize it (no protein) or I didn't realize it was breakage. My hair used to be every where but I never really missed any of it because my hair is so think. I just thought I had lots of natural shedding cause I had lots of hair :nono:

Yes I stretch,4B
12 weeks max
I shed but I don't think it's a lot.
My hair found a man and it's in love. Mr 100% Glycerine is his name.

Last edited:
Do you stretch? I guess it's a yes (this is my second day)
How long? I would like to have an inch of ng so that my subsequent relaxers will overlap less

What is your hair type? 4a - VERY tight penspring curls - thick, but not resistant to the perm
Do you get a lot of breakage? Yes. Last time I missed a perm my hair all broke off at the demarcation line!!! :cry3: That was jr high school. I never missed a touchup again.

But yesterday, when I was ONE DAY over my 5 week deadline, I saw a hair that was broken at the demarcation line and i instantly did a protein treatment with Cantu Shea butter, slept in it, and then did a moisture treatment with hello hydration (applied like a relaxer). My co wash of rinsing that out left my hair feeling SO YUMMY!!

Today, not so much.

I think I need to cowash every other day while I"m stretching. That's cool as a newbie, but it could get old. We'll see.

For all the relaxed/texlaxed ladies:

Do you stretch?
How long?
What is your hair type?

If you do stretch please share your regimen for keeping the newgrowth from breaking at the demarcation line.

We were talking in the other thread about losing hair while stretching. And I wonder how much hair type effects the benefits of stretching. Does looser hair texttur fare better in long stretches? Does the tighter textured hair cause more damage along the demarcation line?

Do you stretch?
Yes.

How long?

8-10 weeks
What is your hair type?
3c/4a

I get a lot of shedding after more than 10 weeks. I stretched for 3 months one time and vowed never again.

Back