Stretching and Coarse areas

CaribbeanQueen

Ladies, I have learned so much from this forum and currently I stretch and self relax. However I have run into a bit of a problem....

I have experienced alot of breakage in the middle of my hair. The perimeter is a much softer texture and as a result I dont dont run into much problem concealing new growth and smoothing edges when I am stretching relaxers. BUT the middle of my hair is a different story... right now I am 3 months post and the middle of my hair is sooo thick and a bit coarse.

Do any of you ladies run into this problem? How do you deal with it? Should I stop stretching?

Try saturating that area in some oil before you wash to help it stay softer. Also try a different conditioner in those areas. If it is causeing breakage no matter what you do then relax. 3 months is good already

I'm having the same problem:perplexed

I was thinking about flat-ironing that section only on low......but was hoping to avoid direct heat:ohwell:

I also have that problem. So much so that I am always under processed in that area. I am due for a relaxer at the end of January and I think I will go to a hairdresser for that. I am tired of never having evenly relaxed hair.

Thanks ladies for your replies.

Gymfreak336 I think you are right...I may have stretched long enough. I think I am going to relax today and start in the middle... hopefully this will even it out a bit..

I could go to a close friend to get it relaxed but she is going to want to cut...:ohwell:

Thanks ladies for your replies.

Gymfreak336 I think you are right...I may have stretched long enough. I think I am going to relax today and start in the middle... hopefully this will even it out a bit..

I could go to a close friend to get it relaxed but she is going to want to cut...:ohwell:

I have episodes with middle breakage from time to time...the latest time it was like it actually came out...it was like just fuzz in that area..I couldnt even grab it. Like the perm ate it away or something...or it was some type of stress alopecia...Im not for sure which one. Now its filled back in completely but its short. There are a little bit of thin ends that I trimmed and the rest is new growth. Im trying a different angle with my middle...Im going to NOT relax it for a long time and when I do it will be the last part I do instead of the first. Although it is the most coarse part of my hair..it is also the most fragile. That is usually where I start when I put on the relaxer.

I will just continue to rollerset to smooth it out as much as possible, and wear styles that conceal the different texture and the fact that it is shorter. I have a top layer that covers it...so as long as I can make it lay down it wont show. Meanwhile I apply extra conditioner and moisturizer to that area as well. So far so good...Im at 11 weeks and stretching till March. Or at least thats the plan but my new growth is acting up all of the sudden so we will see.

I have a coarser texture and more breakage in that area too. I've recently begun applying products a bit differently: now I start with that part and apply DC, moisturizer, oils, etc. in smaller sections and more heavily than the the front. The texture softened up a lot in just 6 weeks - now I just have to be consistent. HTH.

I am starting to see that this time around that my hair is coarser than other times when i've stretched. My hair is not even that coarse like that but with this stretch it is. I am 4 mths post and doing 4 more mths to total 8 mths before the summer hits.

And I REFUSE to stop this stretch lol!I don't care how coarse my hair gets!

Ladies, I have learned so much from this forum and currently I stretch and self relax. However I have run into a bit of a problem....

I have experienced alot of breakage in the middle of my hair. The perimeter is a much softer texture and as a result I dont dont run into much problem concealing new growth and smoothing edges when I am stretching relaxers. BUT the middle of my hair is a different story... right now I am 3 months post and the middle of my hair is sooo thick and a bit coarse.

Do any of you ladies run into this problem? How do you deal with it? Should I stop stretching?

Girl I so feel ur pain my hair is coarse all ova:lachen:. I have figured out throught trial and error, that 12 weeks is about all I can manage on the stretch tip b-4 things go bad:blush:(dryness, breakage, tangles etc) That is unless I have crazy amounts of time and money to pump into it which hardly ever happens. Stretching should improve the hairs health, length and general appearance/feel if it doesnt then u should stop. I used to get thin parts in my hair from stretching to long til I got a clue my hair LOVES to go 9-11 weeks comes out perfect, for me . Oh yeah amla oil pre-poo on dry hair is the best I have found to deal with 12 wk post hair, also a strong protien treatment may help w/ breakage at the d line if it has been a while.HTH

I am starting to see that this time around that my hair is coarser than other times when i've stretched. My hair is not even that coarse like that but with this stretch it is. I am 4 mths post and doing 4 more mths to total 8 mths before the summer hits.

And I REFUSE to stop this stretch lol!I don't care how coarse my hair gets!

This is EXACTLY what is happening to me. I mean, I have stretched for 6months + on several occasions with no problem... but this time :nono: I was going to relax today but I realized I didnt have any neutralizing shampoo and the stores are shut.

I will probably have to leave it until the weekend now. :ohwell:

I have very coarse sections also. Prepooing is the best way to soften the NG. Hot oil, with a variation of all sorts of other stuff like honey, coconut milk, avocado, etc.... Do some searches on Prepoo threads to get ideas on different concoctions. Co-washes help also.

Also, if you are getting breakage during stretching, then the stretching is becoming counter-productive, and it is time to relax.

You could also try natural texture softeners like pre-pooing with coconut milk, coconut milk and lime juice mixture, or try the caramel treatment u can buy it or make ur own, also herbal pre-poo with hibiscus,nettles, and irish moss is great. I found out about the herbal by accident that it loosen my texture very much so.
But if all else fails u may have reached ur stretch limit

Back