Stretchers, please help!

classylayd

Hi Ladies,

I'm currently 17 week post going for 26 weeks with NO heat. This is my first time doing this. I was always told to leave my new growth alone and do not comb it. I usually wash my hair every two weeks and co wash once a week. I have noticed that when I don't comb it the amount of shedding and breakage is excessive. I tried this week for the first time to use my oil moisturizer on my roots, sealing it with oil, combing it through, then do like 6 braids. When I washed my hair after a week my roots were soft and the shedding and breakage was very minimal. Do you ladies think that for now it will work for me but in the long run it won't be good for my hair?

TIA

I tried low mani before and it was a HAM sandwich :nono: Some people just can't do low/no manipulation. Comb your hair and give her what she wants :giggle:

Tiffers u read my mind....Classy....I tried the whole no combing and it did not work out, my hair gets knots like crazy and knotted hair just comes out when I decide to comb, so just comb, but don't comb so much, I can't suggest anything, cuz I have to add heat to my new growth to get it with my relaxed hair and I actually get less shedding and breakage, see with me, if I wanted to go natural I would have to BC cuz my natural new growth and relaxed hair do not like each other, so I have to add that heat, but I only flat iron once a week or once every two weeks.

Our hair tends to writhe up like a sack of snakes! New growth and ends...for some reason. Sounds like your new growth needs to be gently combed. I'd comb the straightened ends one way and separately from the new growth...in 2 phases. Maybe you can use Stablizer Plus from French Perm, Detangler from Wanakee (hairoil.com), Rusk Smoother Conditioner or some other detangler/conditioner like Hawaiian Silky.

Um, your hair sounds like my hair, but I haven't stretched that long ever. I started stretching about 12 weeks - 14 weeks. That's the longest my hair can make it and for those last two weeks I will wear it up in a moisturized bun and finger comb ONLY. No manipulation does not work for my 4a/b texlaxed hair. If I comb after week 12 - I end up with breakage, not shedding, BREAKAGE. :ohwell:

So my solution has been to texlax at week 12. BUT it all depends on how my hair is doing. If you find a solution, please post it. I think this was a great topic. :yep:

Um, your hair sounds like my hair, but I haven't stretched that long ever. I started stretching about 12 weeks - 14 weeks. That's the longest my hair can make it and for those last two weeks I will wear it up in a moisturized bun and finger comb ONLY. No manipulation does not work for my 4a/b texlaxed hair. If I comb after week 12 - I end up with breakage, not shedding, BREAKAGE. :ohwell:

So my solution has been to texlax at week 12. BUT it all depends on how my hair is doing. If you find a solution, please post it. I think this was a great topic. :yep:

I have stretched longer than this before but the first time I had it blown out straight every two weeks so it was a lot easier to manage myself. I don't even know what my hair type is I wish I knew. I don't have lots of breakage with no manipulation but enough.

I keep reading about texlax but I'm new to all this hair thing so I'm taking baby steps at the time. Don't want to try that just yet.
I will for sure post once I find a solution :grin:

I'm currently stretching for a year and I'm almost 8 months in. Braids have helped me tremendously. My newgrowth is crazy and moisture is a must for me. The detangling process when I wash my hair when its not in braids could be challenging. But I started using CON red lable and it has help really well with detangling.

You should continue to do what has helped your hair from shedding and breaking.

Back