STRETCHERS: How much hair do you lose on relaxer day?

gorgeoushair

For those of you who stretch for more than 10 weeks, how much hair do you lose on relaxer day? How much hair do you think is too much? I know some people who don't lose any hair on relaxer day....why is this?

I lost waaay more hair than I wanted to. One mistake I made was I don't think i detangled right before getting my relaxer but I did the night before so I wouldn't think it would cause me to lose that much hair.

For those of you who have had this experience, what have you done to prevent this from happening again? Thanks

A couple of strands....maybe.

I stretch to almost 10 weeks, and I don't lose any hair on relaxer day. I use no lye relaxer.

When I was using lye, I use to lose a nice sized bunch of hair on relaer day.

I think the lye was just too strong for my hair.

I don't lose any hair on relax day and I stretch from 6months to a yr. If I do then its only a few strands. Now on a regular wash day I may lose more, but it's nothing that concerns me because its a natural process. In other words, I'm not losing an excessive amount. I detangle thoroughly the night before and on the day of I gentle finger comb-not irritating the scalp..

Last edited:
I dont loose many (10-20) and I stretch for a year last time and working on a year this time. I detangle a week before and then part my hair in four slap on my wig for the week. On the day of I do halves and dont rush so I dont loose very many.

Last edited:
I don't loose any or at least its such a little amount I don't notice. I stretch at minimum 14 weeks and my longest so far has been somewhere around 36-38 weeks. I don't detangle the night before. Since I only detangle on wet hair full of conditioner, I detangle very well 3 days prior using my usual method of conditioner and a shower comb.

For those of you who stretch for more than 10 weeks, how much hair do you lose on relaxer day? How much hair do you think is too much? I know some people who don't lose any hair on relaxer day....why is this?

I lost waaay more hair than I wanted to. One mistake I made was I don't think i detangled right before getting my relaxer but I did the night before so I wouldn't think it would cause me to lose that much hair.

For those of you who have had this experience, what have you done to prevent this from happening again? Thanks

I have the same question too. When I relaxed I lost alot more hair than I wanted too. Like a gumball size. And I detangled the night before so I know it wasnt shed hair. I stretched for about 12 weeks.

I have always lost hair on relaxer day, and a significant amount too. I though it was normal, judging by the responses I should havebeen worried, maybe I might still have some hair on my head!

I always stretch 16-18 weeks and usually lose about a dime to a nickel size amount of hair. I think the key for me to losing less hair during the relaxing process has been doing my hard core protein treatment and detangling my hair really well the week before my relaxer. Also, I make sure that my stylist isn't rough while applying/smoothing the relaxer.

^^^^^^ Chasturner,when do you do the hardcore protein treatment and which one do you use?

For the ladies that are losing larger amounts of hair, do you think you will benefit from a protein treatment before you neutralize the relaxer? Maybe this will help

I lose hair on relaxer day! More than I think I should. It's around a quarter size, but might be more. I wish I knew if this is normal. I stretch 3 months. I have started doing hardcore aphoghee 3 weeks straight before relaxing.

I stretch 16 weeks. I don't think that I lose more than my average shedding per wash day.

For the people who are losing alot of hair, are you manipulating your new growth between washes? That could be leading to tangling and breakage.

After I sit under the dryer with my product in and my hair cross-wrapped, I don't comb through new my new growth again until wash day. To keep it flat, I just tie it up at night.

^^^^^^ Chasturner,when do you do the hardcore protein treatment and which one do you use?

For the ladies that are losing larger amounts of hair, do you think you will benefit from a protein treatment before you neutralize the relaxer? Maybe this will help

I use ApHogee 2 step as my hardcore protein the week before my relaxer. My hair is always really strong afterwards.

I lose about 5-10 strands (maybe) my normal. I also do heavy proteins before getting my hair relaxed the week before :D

It depends on when I relax. If I relax during a time when I'm already shedding a lot, then yes, I can lose quite a bit. I try not to do that if I can help it (but if I've already broken a comb, I'm relaxing)

If thats the only time you lose a lot of hair, I would think that detangling really well beforehand should help.

-A

lol thats what I did. The week b4 I used Motions CPR. Also b4 I neutralized I used ORS Hair Mayo. But I lost too much for my liking. Idk this was the first time I stretched for four months. Next time I think Im just gonna stretch for only 3 months and also up the protein treatments. Hopefully it will help.

I stretch 16 weeks. I don't think that I lose more than my average shedding per wash day.

For the people who are losing alot of hair, are you manipulating your new growth between washes? That could be leading to tangling and breakage.

After I sit under the dryer with my product in and my hair cross-wrapped, I don't comb through new my new growth again until wash day. To keep it flat, I just tie it up at night.

For me nope. I stay in a bun 24/7. I wash my hair every 1-2 weeks. And in between washes I def dont comb through my hair. lol I break combs...easily.

Four days to a week before getting my relaxer, I do a protein treatment(usually an egg mixed w/ a good conditioner).

After rinsing out relaxer, I use Aphogee 2 Min Reconstructor then the neutralizing poo.

I don't think so.....the last wash before my relaxer my hair stayed pinned up for two days. I moisturized, base greased scalp, detangled/combed hair and pinned back up.

I don't lose much, but then again I am a stickler for removing the shed hairs when I comb my hair...I believe they cause breakage as they wrap around the other hairs, so I remove them from my comb and pull them out from my hair sections after I comb thru a couple of times....then repeat.

Both times I have self processed I didn't lose much hair at all. This is at about 16 weeks post. I see loads of hair when I don't comb for days or weeks on end. This happened to me a few times at the salon when I was on a strict lo mani regimen. It was too traumatic so I started combing more often.

Hardly any... like none, but I think the key is making sure that your new growth is soft and moisturised so that it wont break at the line of demarcation AND not combing but smoothing the relaxer through the new growth. I use Lye relaxer's, Motions Mild or Mizani.

Back