STRETCHERS: HOW DO YOU KEEP YOUR NG STRAIGHT WITHOUT REACHING FOR THE FLAT IRON?

MissFallon

I want to start wearing my hair down around July 15 and would like to know some techniques you ladies use to straighten your hair without flatironing every week. I am thinking about going to the dominican salon every 2 weeks but that seems like too much heat. I rollerset my hair every week but my roots don't get straight enough to wear my hair down without using heat. What do you do to get your hair straight without reaching for that flat iron???

I would love to hear the rest of the responses. It will be interesting as many ladies can do a serious 16 week stretch. I on the other hand always try to make it to week 12. After week 8 I have to use the flat iron. I went to Sally's and bought a 1/2 inch flat iron so it can only touch the new growth.

I am also considering learning to blow my roots like the dominican salon...if I could only get into Webby's fotki..

I use NTM silk touch, part my hair the way I want and tie with satin scarf. Its flat. I don't comb thru it or anything. As long as NG looks flat thats good enuf for me.
I flat iron probably once every 5 weeks.

MissFallon said:
I want to start wearing my hair down around July 15 and would like to know some techniques you ladies use to straighten your hair without flatironing every week. I am thinking about going to the dominican salon every 2 weeks but that seems like too much heat. I rollerset my hair every week but my roots don't get straight enough to wear my hair down without using heat. What do you do to get your hair straight without reaching for that flat iron???
UBH Dew moisturizer helped soften my NG & make it more manageable but I`m only stretching 12 weeks

When airdrying in a rollerset, I use the ponytail method which safely keeps the newgrowth taut as my hair dries. Then I use Sylver2's NTM and scarf method (as she stated above) to keep my newgrowth and hair flat. I stretch usually 13 weeks, up to 16 weeks a couple of times.

Denim And Leather said:
Here's a thread on Soft N Beautiful's extend a perm kit that was being raved about. I'm thinking of using it myself for when I stretch. HTH

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=89559&highlight=extend+perm

Sylver2, your hair looks gorgeous in your siggy pic! :) I hope I can get my hair to look that straight after 12 weeks!

I've used this before when I stretched for 9 months. It does a good job but it requires heat. If it didn't that would be my first choice. I may go back to using it and washing my hair every other week instead.

When I've stretched 12+ weeks I would have my hair wash at a dominican salon and just tell them only to blowdry my roots. My hair was in good condition.

Now I take a fine tooth comb and a blowdrier and straighten my roots, just like at the Dominican salon.

SleekandBouncy said:
When I've stretched 12+ weeks I would have my hair wash at a dominican salon and just tell them only to blowdry my roots. My hair was in good condition.

Now I take a fine tooth comb and a blowdrier and straighten my roots, just like at the Dominican salon.

Are you using a bone comb? What kind/brand of blowdryer are you using?

I usually opt for curly and wavy styles so I don't have to worry about straightening it. But if I do decide to wear my hair straight I either go to the Dom Salon and get a blow out or flat iron the front with qp curl wax.

I am at 10 weeks post now, and I am attempting to stretch to atleast 21 weeks, if I can keep my hair straight without relaxing I will stretch to 25 weeks and relax for my bday(sept 28th). Then after that I won't relax again from September to May. My ng is soft so that isnt a problem its just that I want it straight. I think I may just go to the dominican salon and have them set my hair and then blow out just the roots. I'm just worried this might damage my hair doing this every other week for 10 more weeks.

bmoreflyygirl said:
I usually opt for curly and wavy styles so I don't have to worry about straightening it. But if I do decide to wear my hair straight I either go to the Dom Salon and get a blow out or flat iron the front with qp curl wax.

That's what I did for my first stretch; braidouts and scurl became my new best friends. I am 8 weeks post and will probably start up with this routine again. Plus, the humidity here is pretty bad...

Has anyone used the extend-a-perm without using heat? I love this product cuz it allows me to stretch until I get sick of using it. But I use it with heat. I never thought about using it without heat. Do you think your hair would get straight using this with a rollerset and wrapping it?

I use BBD Stretch Creme after 12 weeks post relaxer to keep new growth soft and straight.
I apply a little on my scalp and hair and blowdry on a low heat setting until my next hair wash.

sylver2 said:
I use NTM silk touch, part my hair the way I want and tie with satin scarf. Its flat. I don't comb thru it or anything. As long as NG looks flat thats good enuf for me.
I flat iron probably once every 5 weeks.

Sylver2 do you apply the NTM to your scalp or all over the hair?

Shimmerwink said:
Sylver2 do you apply the NTM to your scalp or all over the hair?

Hey, I never apply NTM to my scalp. I usually apply it all over my hair with emphasis on the NG

LABETT said:
I use BBD Stretch Creme after 12 weeks post relaxer to keep new growth soft and straight.
I apply a little on my scalp and hair and blowdry on a low heat setting until my next hair wash.
I'm gonna try this stuff for my next stretch. I keep hearing to many good things about it and I have not found a product yet to help my new growth to my satisfaction. I tried the scarf method last night after my wash and that really helped alot Thanks so much Sylver.

ummm, reach for a blowdryer.... :)

seriously if ur ok with using a blowdryer on warm then use it to straighten ur roots...

Back