Stretcher relaxer= Head sores and pains

peacensoul

Stretching relaxer= Head sores and pains

Is it just me or does stretching your relaxer make your scalp feel sore. My scalp is killing me I don't know how much longer I could go. This is my week 8 and I am dying over here. My hair is really thick to the point that people ask me if I get relaxers or not. My hair also seems shorter n poofy I look like Oprah from the 90s right now. On Thursday I'm traveling so I don't know if I should just get a weave or something for the next two weeks then relaxer here I come. I also tried texlaxing and I don't notice the difference maybe if I wet it then it will curl up but I only did it on my edges and the naps in the back so my ponytails could look pleasant. Check out my profile and please tell me what kind of hair I have its 4 something but I don't know.. Help from a desperate NEWBIE

Last edited:
I've been stretching for 16 weeks now and I don;t really feel soreness, other than my normal soreness that I get in the crown area of my head, but I think thats' when my hair is growing.

Re: Stretching relaxer= Head sores and pains

peacensoul said:
also tried texlaxing and I don't notice the difference maybe if I wet it then it will curl up but I only did it on my edges and the naps in the back so my ponytails could look pleasant.

I love that feeling, it usually means my hair is growing when my scap gets sore. I usually just massage it more during this time because it makes it feel better and also because massaging aides growth. I have heard that texlaxing 4b hair doesnt make it curly because it doesnt have a "curly" pattern like 4a or 3 hair would have. But it should make it easier to manage, I heard.
Anyway, typically your scalp is sore when your hair grows, then when it slows down growth it wont hurt anymore. The soreness for me usually doesnt last long, like a week or so. The longest my head has been sore was like 2 weeks and I had like an inch of NG by the time that mess was over, lol...You would notice some extra newgrowth when the soreness goes away if thats what it is.

Re: Stretching relaxer= Head sores and pains

I stretched for 6 months and didn't get any. It could be the product you are using. YOu have to understand that what you use for relaxed hair is not the same thing you should use for your new growth. how often do you condition? deep condition? what do you add to your hair after your wash? etc. Your regimen is the most important at this stage. also are you harsh with the comb?

I've never heard of this.
I'm 17 weeks post, no pain/sores
for me. The only time my scalp felt
sore is when I was using MTG, but I've stopped
using it...so... :ohwell:

I definitely know what you mean. I stretch for 12-14 weeks and my head is sore after week 10 and itches like crazy. But it is worth it.

I suggest stretching in stages. First go 8 weeks then the next time go 9 weeks. Work up to stretching for longer periods of time. Also my relaxer doesn't take as well because I stretch for so long. Hope this helps!!!!

planodiva said:
I definitely know what you mean. I stretch for 12-14 weeks and my head is sore after week 10 and itches like crazy. But it is worth it.

I suggest stretching in stages. First go 8 weeks then the next time go 9 weeks. Work up to stretching for longer periods of time. Also my relaxer doesn't take as well because I stretch for so long. Hope this helps!!!!

AWESOME advice......thanks for posting it!

Back