Strange texture after relaxing

sereia

Hi you lovely ladies! :wave:

I use a no lye-relaxer (currently Profectiv regular, ORS before). The last year or so I smoothed with my fingers only during the relaxer process. I noticed that my hair gets a strange texture starting a couple of weeks after.
It forms small waves (even smaller than my natural stretched curls!)
I tried to draw it in the attachment. Unfortunately I am not really knowledgeable with computers so bare with me! :look:
Anyway, the left part would be the relaxed part and the right part my natural hair.

I never noticed this when I used to comb during relaxing nor with a lye relaxer.
I usually do an ApHogee treatment one or two weeks after a relaxer. Could that be the culprit? I DC weekly with a mild protein also.
Any ideas?

Attachments

• hair.jpg
    hair.jpg
    1.1 KB · Views: 63
This always happens to me. I dont think ive ever had a relaxer when my hair didnt look like that. My one hairdresser told me its because I didnt "smooth" well enough after I applied it... but the next time I tried "smoothing" more it still did the same thing.

Hi you lovely ladies! :wave:

I use a no lye-relaxer (currently Profectiv regular, ORS before). The last year or so I smoothed with my fingers only during the relaxer process. I noticed that my hair gets a strange texture starting a couple of weeks after.
It forms small waves (even smaller than my natural stretched curls!)
I tried to draw it in the attachment. Unfortunately I am not really knowledgeable with computers so bare with me! :look:
Anyway, the left part would be the relaxed part and the right part my natural hair.

I never noticed this when I used to comb during relaxing nor with a lye relaxer.
I usually do an ApHogee treatment one or two weeks after a relaxer. Could that be the culprit? I DC weekly with a mild protein also.
Any ideas?

When you relaxed did you smooth down the hair with a rat tail comb? this helps to straighten the hair better, and a professional technique. Also did you leave the relaxer in long enough? If it is becoming curly again then maybe you didn't leave the relaxer in long enough.

hth.

Thank you for your answers, ladies! :)

When you relaxed did you smooth down the hair with a rat tail comb? this helps to straighten the hair better, and a professional technique. Also did you leave the relaxer in long enough? If it is becoming curly again then maybe you didn't leave the relaxer in long enough.

hth.

Hi longhairlover; the problem is that it´s not my underprocessed natural texture but a totally new one. My hair has waves that are smaller than my natural stretched out curls. When let it process longer (like 20 min) my hair gets bone-straight which I don´t like.
I am totally at loss because I would like to texlax and airdry but this texture doesn´t allow it.:sad:

Do you mean that I should comb it? I did that pre-LHCF and the results were better texture-wise but my hair was never as long as it is now. Most of the stylists did comb the relaxer through.

Thank you for your answers, ladies! :)

Hi longhairlover; the problem is that it´s not my underprocessed natural texture but a totally new one. My hair has waves that are smaller than my natural stretched out curls. When let it process longer (like 20 min) my hair gets bone-straight which I don´t like.
I am totally at loss because I would like to texlax and airdry but this texture doesn´t allow it.:sad:

Do you mean that I should comb it? I did that pre-LHCF and the results were better texture-wise but my hair was never as long as it is now. Most of the stylists did comb the relaxer through.
no not to comb it but when you are doing the perm you use the back side of the comb that doesn't have the teeth this smooths the hair down, but no combing.

This is the smoothing technique that most hair stylists should use when doing a perm.

I don't know if you are using a regular relaxer of a relaxer specifically for texturizing there's a difference.

The only time is supposed to be combed is on virgin hair that has never been permed. After that you only use the non tooth side of a rat tail comb to smooth the hair down.

hth

Last edited:
@longhairlover:
Thanks for you explanation. I think it should work with a regular relaxer, too.
I will try it with my next relaxer (I don´t trust any stylist anymore :hair:)

BTW:your hair ist stunning! :)

@longhairlover:
Thanks for you explanation. I think it should work with a regular relaxer, too.
I will try it with my next relaxer (I don´t trust any stylist anymore :hair:)

BTW:your hair ist stunning! :)

thanks Sereia. I love my hair! it's my life. Right now i'm stretching. this is month four, i'm trying to get to bra strap i'm like three or four inches away maybe 5. I only know hair kind of well because my mom was a stylist for 20 something years. I perm my own hair, roller set/blow dry, flat iron, color it myself. I don't trust other stylists either.

I would only go to get a wash and set that is as far as I would let someone go with my hair.

Maybe when I get a camcorder I will do something on perming the proper techniques.

Because I honestly think that stylists under process to keep you coming for relaxers which is more than just wash and blow.

Keep in contact.

Any hair questions ask me.

That´s really nice of you! :hug2:
You are doing a very good job! I know you will be at BSL soon! :)

Knowledge is power, that´s why I am forever grateful for LHCF! :clap::love::clap::notworthy:

It would be a great idea to make a tutorial on relaxing because there is none on the internet and on wiki-howto they even said to comb it. Every stylist who relaxed my hair did comb the relaxer through!

I am challenged when it comes to styling and my hair is still not healthy but hopefully one day I can show my hair on LHCF, too! ;)

That´s really nice of you! :hug2:
You are doing a very good job! I know you will be at BSL soon! :)

Knowledge is power, that´s why I am forever grateful for LHCF! :clap::love::clap::notworthy:

It would be a great idea to make a tutorial on relaxing because there is none on the internet and on wiki-howto they even said to comb it. Every stylist who relaxed my hair did comb the relaxer through!

I am challenged when it comes to styling and my hair is still not healthy but hopefully one day I can show my hair on LHCF, too! ;)

lhcf will most definitely help you. there are even licensed cosmetologists on here too I see. Just alwasy remember to be gentle on your hair comb roots first gently. only relax new growth. sample products until you find the right one for your hair, don't perm too much, get ends trimmed a little every 6 weeks or whenever they look a little bad. don't let scissor happy hair stylists near your hair, a trim should not be a scalping lol! and yes trims are esential to keep hair looking fresh.

Back