Straightening your edges

NuMe2004

All,
As many of you may already know, I've been transitioning for the past year or so, and so far it's been great. Yet, I'm finding that whenever I want to wear my hair straight, I can't keep my edges looking neat no matter how much I go over them with the flat iron. So, I was wondering what ya'll thought about just relaxing the edge of your hair in the front? I figure that way I can keep my edges straight without damaging my entire head of hair with a relaxer.

Now, in addition to the first question, I've also been contemplating adding auburn hilites just to the front of my hair in order to accent my facial features. If I do dye the front, I don't want to relax it, because then that would be two harsh chemical processes. Do you think that the hair dye will weaken the strands to the point where it will act like a mild relaxer? My boyfriend suggested that I just dye it and not relax it?

What do you think?

http://public.fotki.com/hair2004/

My aunt swears by the Edgestick . She uses it on her edges every day after she washes her face. I have never used it so I don't know how hot it gets. She's in her 50's and has a head full of hair--no receding hairline.

She got hers from a bss for $10.

Wow - that's an interesting product, Sassygirl. But won't the problem still be reversion no matter what type of heating appliance is used?

NuMe-
Have you tried Healthy Hair Butter or Marguerite's Magic by Carol's Daughter? What I do is put enough on the edges for the hair to stick down. I use a boar brush (lightly) to brush down and then put a headband on or wrap it in a satin scarf. I'll tell you, nothing seems to defy the heat and humidity better than the HHB. I wouldn't do the edges with a perm unless it was Index 1 by Phytospecific. You want the absolute gentle-est? for your edges as edges tend to be thinner and sometimes finer due to the stress we put the hairline under. Besides, it will grow out and then you will have to re-touch. What happens when you have this weaker hair in the front with all that strong hair behind it? Believe me, I've thought about the same thing, but I'm scared for when it grows out. Maybe others have done this with a positive result?

Back