STRAIGHTENING: Which is more important...

If I really had to choose, I'd say what's most important for straightening hair...

• ...are the products used in the hair.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ...is the technique and the tools used.

Votes: 32 40.5%
  • ...is honestly just both. One isn't more important than the other really.

Votes: 47 59.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

zzirvingj

...product?

...or technique/tools?

I ask because when I press my hair there isn't really any product on the hair. But I know it's important to use a good clarifier, deep conditioner, heat protectant, etc, when straightening my hair.

However, even when using these products, my hair isn't salon quality and I'm wondering if it's because of the products I use in my hair...or if it's my technique. I think I need to get a steamer and a new dryer to get better results. Even then, I have to admit there seems to be a certain "skill level" that I simply may or may not ever be able to master when it comes to getting salon quality results at home.

So I ask...which do you think is most important?

The products or the technique & tools used....?

Last edited:
Technique. I've got a Sedu flat iron (that I'm selling, actually), Chi silk infusion and all that other great stuff, but when I flat iron my own hair, it's still puffy and crazy looking.

When I used to go to the salon to have my hair flatironed, I'd use a crappy shampoo/conditioner, air or blowdry with no conditioners, and have her flatiron without any heat protectant :nono:... and my hair was BLINGING!

Of course, my hair would break like crazy afterwards, but it was SO nice the day of. :lachen:

I say both. I've always had the same iron (Babyliss) and I got a good press when I wasn't using any heat protectant, but a better press that took away all fear of heat when I used a heat protectant. My technique has not changed, but adding the protectants has made me more comfortable with using heat and more certain of there not being any damage.

This is the one instance in haircare where I'd say technique and product are 50/50.

You can have technique you've honed down to a science for years but the wrong product can torpedo the whole thing.

I have to have both to have a successful press.

And the tools themselves, too?

By that I mean the blow dryer and/or flat iron...

i air dry first. now that i've bought my first expensive flat iron, i'll say yes to tools too. i used to buy whatever caught my eye and had a good price

I only straighten my hair about 3x a year (so this technique works for me) and I will not do it with any temp less than 450 degrees. I use FHI hot sauce and have yet to suffer heat damage. I use either my FHI Platform or my H2Pro Presto and I get better results than I ever got at the salon.

For me the key is high temp, little product and small sections.

I say technique.

You gotta make sure the hair is deeply moisturized before using heat, and use a ceramic iron that delivers even heat. I dry under the hooded dryer with a stocking cap on my head, to keep the hair straight, or I air dry under the cap.

I do use a leave-in and a little oil on my hair while it's wet, and a heat protectant after it's dry before flat ironing.

ETA--I rarely use heat over 300 with my Solia, the max is 325.

I'm not really sure....
I went to a professional stylist to get my hair pressed. The shampoo and conditioner he used wasn't extra special (I can't remember what it was, but I remember thinking "oh, that stuff is at Sally's"). He did not use heat protectant, but he used Dudley's creme press. My hair was very silky and straight. The press probably could've lasted for a month (seriously), but I washed it out after about 2 weeks because I don't like for my hair to go that long w/o being washed. I did not experience any shedding or breaking. Oh, and I forgot to mention that I got highlights that day too.

If/when I press my own hair, I'm going to use a heat protectant and an electric hot comb. I don't trust myself w/ an oven because I think I might get it too hot.

Both. Using poor quality tools is only going to shortchange you in results and long term health of your hair.

When it comes to products designed to be used on hair that is going to be thermally styled, they can make a huge difference in the long run. They help the hair get into the state you need it to get in to be straightened easily without compromising your hair integrity. Smoothing lines are not like regular moisturizing lines and it can be the difference in having a more professional look for many people.

I really think one reason why some people have not had good experiences with straightening is because they are not prepping their hair for the process just as you would prep your hair for anything else. This is especially true for natural heads.

With technique...DSD has a great flat ironing and blow drying tutorial on her youtube that provides helpful tips. My biggest tip is work from wet hair and take your time to apply a straightening balm to your entire hair in sections. Just clip them up as you go before you blow dry.

Sometimes my hair will start reverting a few days later despite the fact that it's well oiled and pressed straight. I'm wondering if using a different deep conditioner each time I wash my hair is the reason why this is happening, or could it be that I'm not using a hooded dryer to deep condition my hair.

I leave the conditioner on for about 1-1/2 to 2 hours. I keep track of the conditioner I use each time and make a note of whether my hair reverts or not. Last month I used Profective Mega Growth Deep Strengthening Conditioner without adding oil to it, and it didn't revert at all; however, I had to oil my hair several times within two weeks because it was drying out fast despite the fact that I wear a bun 100 percent of the time. Nevertheless, it did the job well, but I will add oil to the conditioner the next time I use it.

Last week I tried Pantene Relaxed and Natural, and slowly but surely my hair is starting to revert even though I added oil to the conditioner.

Whenever I'm washing dishes or taking a bath, I always cover my hair thoroughly to keep it from reverting, and I never have problems. The air in Los Angeles is dry and during the early evenings of the fall, winter, and spring seasons, I normally wear a cap.

Most of the conditioners are fine, even LeKair Cholesterol worked excellent. Even when I bring some of these products into the salon, they work fine. My hair didn't revert, but I'm going to try those other few conditioners again to figure out if my hair swells again due to them. That's the only thing I change up on is conditioners when I'm at home.

I'm wondering if there is something in the conditioner that is causing this. Has anyone had this problem before?

It rarely occurs when I go to the salon, which has been consistently most of my life; but lately, I've been doing my own hair to use up these products.

Last edited:
i believe that both are equally important. i have had bad experience when one of the two departments were lacking :/

I think technique, I have had a GHD and a good blow dryer (although I just upgraded to a tourmeline dryer which I love) for over a year. Even when I was relaxed I could never get a good blow dry and flat iron. I have finally learned the techniques for me to get a salon press. I even get good results with just blow drying now that I know what I'm doing. Its all thanks to you all at LHCF.

Yes, I have this problem. I don't have good technique, my hair reverts the next day.:lachen:

I figure it will get better with practice, I think you need both good technique and good products. I use good products but it doesn't matter because my technique sucks.

When I go to the salon, my hair will last for at least 2 weeks.

Has anyone had this problem before?

It rarely occurs when I go to the salon, which has been consistently most of my life; but lately, I've been doing my own hair to use up these products.

Technique & tools are most important to me.
My steamer and using smaller sections made my hair look like I paid good money to get it done.

Do they use a clarifying shampoo at your salon when you straighten?

I say 30% tools and 70% techniques....I got my hair straightened in Feb (see avatar) at the salon and my stylist washed, conditioned, put me under the hooded dryer, added Moroccan Oil (Argon), and blowdryed. While she blowdryed it she combed it and got it so silky and straight I could have walked right out of there! She flatironed with a regular ceramic flatiron (she says her chi was breaking her clients hair because there is no heat setting adjustment)

I flatironed my hair last Thursday. I washed, deep conditioned, applied Fantasia heat protectant, blow dryed (I cant comb it while Im blowdrying and I was advised not to use the teeth that came with my ionic). I added more hp before I set my wigo flatiron to 330degrees and ran it through my hair about 3 or 4 passes and all I got was frizz and fuzz....see my siggy lol...so I don't have the technique or the tools lol

I've been straightening weekly (for the most part) for the last 16 months and have done enough variations and experiments to know that tools, techniques, and products all matter.
That doesn't mean that only one particular flat iron will work, or one technique, or a specific set of products, but that you will need to find A right combo in order to get your hair the way you want it. There is no single right combo, but there are definitely plenty of wrong ones :lol: (and of course keep in mind that it will be a personal thing -- you can't know that someone else's regimen will work for you unless you try it).

I can use exactly the same set of products for two weeks, but have different results because my technique was different.

Likewise I can use the same technique two weeks, but have completely different results because I used different products.

When you are trying to find the "sweet spot", so to speak, you must vary each thing in a controlled way to figure out why your hair isn't turning out the way you want. Your products may be fine, but your technique is off. Or your technique might be a good one, but your results aren't the best because you haven't found the right kind of products. You won't know what it is until you figure it out. And it does take figuring. You can try to guess and cross your fingers, but it's better to have an understanding of exactly what effect each element is having on your hair. Then if you are forced to make substitutions (say your favorite serum is discontinued), you know what to look for in your replacement.

To have decent looking straight hair I think that technique is more important. If you have the technique down you should wind up with your hair looking nice regarless if the product works well for you or not. I mean, the product could make your hair feel less soft or tangles when combing through. You could hate what you used, but your hair still looks good. If you dont have a technique down and you use a product that just doesnt work for your hair then you are left with poor results. More than like you would be able to compensate for the crappy product. That's why many times people try to use the products their stylist use and wind up with less than desirable hair. To have awsome hair, I think that it takes both product and technique/tool.

For me, I'd say it's 99.5% technique. I can pretty much get the same sleek results using an FHI or GVP flat-iron. I haven't really noticed a significant difference depending on which products I use. But for my next press, I do plan to use very little product...just to see how it turns out

IMO technique is more important. i've been straightening my natural hair for the last 13 years and switch up the products all the time but technique remains the same.

Technique and tools.
When I used to flat iron my hair, if I used too much product my hair wouldn't be as straight and bouncy compared to when I would use little to no product. My hair dresser does the same, uses little to no product. Also, the newer more expensive ceramic-tourmaline flat irons do a better job than the ones that you'd find for $19.99 or so without that technology built in. Higher heat settings do make your hair come out straighter as well but the higher the heat the more damage it will do to each strand you press under scolding hot plates.
Just my two cents. :yep:

really? how are they different?

Straightening lines focus on balancing moisture with other ingredients like certain types of lipids and certain charged polymers that work to strengthen the weak spots of curly hair (the ones that naturally form from the way our hair grows out of the scalp). They focus on smoothing and preserving cuticle layers without over swelling the hair shaft which can cause more cuticle loss...another reason many straightening lines are also marketed to very damaged chemically treated heads as well. Conditioning effectively while reducing cuticle swelling also means hair dries quicker and more evenly. Since heat damage starts from the cuticle, these lines are all about cuticle reinforcement which reduces protein loss which reduces the chances of developing or aggravating an exisiting chronic moisture problem as well as maintain curl retension in both the styled and natural hair.

Straightening lines by virtue are (95% of the time) heat protecting lines so your heat protection starts from the first lather of the shampoo.

Straightening lines are similar to starch for clothes. While you can press a cotton shirt bone straight with an iron, it is easier to spray it with a little starch and iron it out. You use less heat and get done quicker which means less chance to compromise the fiber you are working on. The hair is no different.

Back