Straightening to Braid (natural)

hnntrr

Hi guys. I tried finding the braiding thread but its buried somewhere I am too tired to find right now.

I want to install box braids this weekend possibly but I keep having issues with braiding my natural hair. Mostly that the ends stick out of the braids because they are so curly.

I am thinking of blow drying my hair straight before I braid so the ends are smoother and mix in with the hair better. I think my hair can handle a little heat and as per advice on the forums I know I need to DC really well before hand, I also have a ceramic blow dryer and plan on Shampooing, DCing and then only putting heat protectant on it (shea moisture) before I blow dry and then braid it up and spray my nightly sealing spritz on it when I am done.

Has any naturals had better results doing it this way?

As braider myself, I choose not to straighten prior to an install. I will do a protein t-shirts, then dc. I apply my leave-in and put in twists & stretch them natural85 style.http://youtu.be/rEOutefz_rg
I have 2 suggestions for you.
1. Make sure you seal your hair with something that's pH balanced. When the cuticle is closed you don't get hair that immediately is sticking out of the braided length.

2. Make sure to have a balance between the extension hair & your hair. If you take a large section of your hair and don't use enough braiding hair this can happen.

Maybe someone will find the braiding thread & link it here, since it had great info! Best of luck to you.

I was about to get braids installed last month and the braider mentioned blowing out my hair. I've blown out my hair for professional braiders in the past because it's easier for them; however, for the Havana Twists I plan to install my hair would be totally hidden so I don't see why she wants to blow it out?

This woman took her Havana Twists down so you get an idea of how her natural hair is braided and hidden in the extension hair. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rI79DA47urQ

I was about to get braids installed last month and the braider mentioned blowing out my hair. I've blown out my hair for professional braiders in the past because it's easier for them; however, for the Havana Twists I plan to install my hair would be totally hidden so I don't see why she wants to blow it out?

This woman took her Havana Twists down so you get an idea of how her natural hair is braided and hidden in the extension hair. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rI79DA47urQ

naturalmanenyc...Have you ever had Havana Twists before? How long did you keep them if you had them? Thanks!

felic1
No, not yet. I have the hair (3 bundles) but was told I need 5 bundles. I didn't buy additional hair yet and am not sure I want 5 bundles of hair in my head. I only plan to have 30 or so Havana twists.

I'm thinking about installing them on my own since I won't feel bad if I take them out in 2 - 4 weeks.

I've always blown out my hair prior to braids. Its makes it easier to braid and you have way less hairs sticking out of the braid in the long run

As braider myself, I choose not to straighten prior to an install. I will do a protein t-shirts, then dc. I apply my leave-in and put in twists & stretch them natural85 style.http://youtu.be/rEOutefz_rg
I have 2 suggestions for you.
1. Make sure you seal your hair with something that's pH balanced. When the cuticle is closed you don't get hair that immediately is sticking out of the braided length.

2. Make sure to have a balance between the extension hair & your hair. If you take a large section of your hair and don't use enough braiding hair this can happen.

Maybe someone will find the braiding thread & link it here, since it had great info! Best of luck to you.

I will try the stuff you suggested. Thank you. I just want to figure it out because I can only leave braids/twists in for 2 weeks at a time and I wanna make sure my ends are protected cause thats what its for....so

I do it on damp hair with gell and everything but the ends just stick out so bad.

Back