Straightening Shampoos and Conditioners - Hello!?!

texasqt

Hey Ladies -

I noticed while in CVS last night that there are tons of shampoos and conditioners that claim to straighten or smooth the hair.

Just to name a few of the more common brands, which all have the poo & con too match, there was:
Bed Head Frizz Control & Straightener
Herbal Essence Dangerously Straight
Head & Shoulder Smooth & Silky
John Frieda
Joico
LoReal Pro Smooth
Pantene Pro-V Smooth & Sleek
Paul Mitchell Super Skinny
Sleek.Look
Sunsilk Straighten Up

I purchased the Sunsilk and it worked great on my 6 week post new growth. I believe it may help me stretch longer or at least make it an easier task. My edges fill like they've just been relaxed.

My questions are
1) Do any of you guys use any type of frizz ease, straightening or smoothing poos or conditioners?
2) If so, what do you use? (may not be listed above)
3) and how often? (i.e. all the time vs. only to help out with ng when stretching)
4) Is there anything one should be concerned about when using this type of product?

TIA. All comments are welcome!

Last edited:
I've used the Pantene Extra Liso (I think that's what it is called) and it really did help straightened my hair and I'm 100% natural. I forgot that I used it...the picture in my avatar is from that time. :D I have to try it again.

1) Do any of you guys use any type of frizz ease, straightening or smoothing poos or conditioners?
Yes I use this type of product
Matrix Sleek Look Steps 1, 2, 3.
3) and how often? (i.e. all the time vs. only to help out with ng when stretching)
I only use it during the last part of my stretch (around week 12)
4) Is there anything one should be concerned about when using this type of product?
I don't think so...:)

Miss.Que said:
Yes I use this type of product
Matrix Sleek Look Steps 1, 2, 3.
I only use it during the last part of my stretch (around week 12)
I don't think so...:)

Miss.Que, your hair is beautiful. Welcome to the forum!

Hello ladies, I'm bumping this up.... I'm 3 weeks in to a long 12 weeks stretch, I'm doing my fact finiding a head of time!! This a very good thread for us stretchers!

TIA!

How exactly can a shampoo or conditioner "straighten" your hair, anyway? Just curious. I never purchased any of these types of products because I didn't believe they would work.

I'm still looking...

So far I have found that these are fairly new products. Herbal Essence just released Dangerously Straight in July 2006 and Sunsilk's Straighten Up came out in June 2006. Of course they are competing along with several others I've seen. These are the cheapie brands and there are more. There are other "high end" types available like Therapy-M, Redken, Bedhead, KMS. (I know KMS has had straightening products around for a while.) They are temporary, non-chemical straighteners which probably means water will cause it to revert.

In reading reviews, I found that most of them do what they say although depending on your hair it may not come out super straight. Also, because these products have more moisture in them than others to flatten the hair, frequent use may cause build up and require that you use a clarifying shampoo.

Sunsilk's Straighten Up Conditioner (what I have) is formulated with Elastyn-E which provides elasticity to hair strands, which helps them conform to straight styles. Definitely want to watch your moisture-protein balance when using this.

Going to take dinner break and then I'll be back on the search!!!

Additional Information from Reviews:

- Sunsilk is a new product line? It is taking over Thermasilk.
- Product has been available in 80 other countries for years.

Trying to find out how this temporary straightening stuff works.
Feel free to comment!

I use a straightening poo/conditioner from time to time

Paul Mitchell Super Skinny Daily Shampoo/Conditioner

On a whim...it doesn't take much to get my hair straight.

-Cones build-up. Even though it says "daily shampoo," I personally would not use it frequently.

texasqt said:

Feel free to comment!

I definitely need to start figuring out how to care for my new growth. I will be stretching for 9 weeks. So, is this Sunsilk a leave-in? Do you use it on wet or dry hair. Do you have to blow dry or use heat for it to work? My sister finds it impossible to stretch beyond 5 weeks, so a product like this might help her too!

Also, Redken's Smooth Down line is horrible. A total bust. Both drying and tangling. I really need something moisturizing and detangling.

Last edited:
texasqt said:

Feel free to comment!
You go girl, I love a good researcher!! You got the goods on the stuff! I would say that if you are using these products during a stretch, a good clairify a week before your touch up would be a good idea.... that's just a JJ guess! This is very interesting indeed about Sunsilk. The sell Sunsilk, Hello Hydration, The fruit one and a couple of others by the gallon at sam's club for like 6 bucks!! LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL I mean gallon!

CAPlush said:
I definitely need to start figuring out how to care for my new growth. I will be stretching for 9 weeks. So, is this Sunsilk a leave-in? Do you use it on wet or dry hair. Do you have to blow dry or use heat for it to work? My sister finds it impossible to stretch beyond 5 weeks, so a product like this might help her too!

Also, Redken's Smooth Down line is horrible. A total bust. Both drying and tangling. I really need something moisturizing and detangling.

I used NTM Deep condish last night... you talk about super megga slippage Woo Wee!! I almost slid out of the shower !!! :yay:

Why don't sam's club sell gallons of NTM Products, they carry all the others :look: ???

CAPlush said:

Sunsilk has different categories of products:
Dry = Hydra TLK
Kinky (me, me, meee!) = Straighten Up
Frizzy = De-Frizz
Poofy = Anti-Poof
Flat = Anti-Flat

Each one has a shampoo, conditioner, and a 24/7 creme. The 24/7 creme is a leave-in for daily use.

AtlantaJJ said:
You go girl, I love a good researcher!! You got the goods on the stuff! I would say that if you are using these products during a stretch, a good clairify a week before your touch up would be a good idea.... that's just a JJ guess! This is very interesting indeed about Sunsilk. The sell Sunsilk, Hello Hydration, The fruit one and a couple of others by the gallon at sam's club for like 6 bucks!! LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL I mean gallon!

ARE YOU SERIOUS?!?! I sure do need some more hello hydration!! and i just bought dangerously straight, none of your frizzness, color me happy, and totally twisted...I will be sure to return them for the gallon sizes!!!

Back