Straightening New Growth: I need some Tips...Sorry Pics Are So Big

Missi

Since I stretch for 3 months: i find it difficult to get my new growth straight enough where I can show my length for the 2nd and 3rd month. My first month.

Before: relaxer (jan 12)
backv-vi.jpg

After: relaxer (April 3)
000_0937-vi.jpg

this is wat my rollerset hair looks like at 2 months: shorter then my relaxed pic
may020-vi.jpg

I wanna try blowing out my roots (thxs Sylver2 & Macherieamour) but i'm very open to suggestions to further straighten my new growth. I can't use a flatiron, hot comb, curling iron, etc...

Last edited:
Hey I dont know how to answer your question because I am always in micros but i just wanted to tell you that you got some good growth!

When you say "I can't use a flatiron, hot comb, curling iron, etc..."
Do you mean you don't desire to do that you tried and it never comes out right or are you just afraid to?

Even when I was 5 months post. I was able to get my hair nice & straight by blowing out the roots and flat ironing. Do you have a friend relative or coworker who is also good with hair? If you're struggling maybe you need to recruit some help. OR Go to the Salon and just get them to wash condition and blow dry (NO styling) I've done this once or twice. It's cheap and you don't have to worry about them cutting anything. You can even go do this at a Supercuts or Hair Cuttery they usually have at least one employee who specializes in ethnic hair.

I never did anything real special when I did mine. I would spray with diluted infusium and then spray some IC PM oil on the roots and blow it out with a corney Gold n Hot blow dryer with the comb attachment. And I'd flat iron with my skinny Conair ceramic flat iron. That's it.

When I was relaxed, I regularly went 3-4 months between touchups and I always just blowdried. And then when I transistioned (18 months) I often blowdried to blend my natural hair with my relaxed hair.
If you use a good straightening product that also acts as a heat protectant you should be fine. Frizz Ease makes a good one. I also remember using the one by Pantene from the Smooth and Sleek line. I never had a second straightening step (ironing/pressing), just the blowdryer.
Make sure you keep up your deep conditioning, and I wouldn't use the blowdryer more than once per week.

try getting the blowdryer with the nozzle or attachment nozzle that looks like this :

babyblow.jpg

this is the type of nozzle dominicans use to get the roots straight. make sure you focus on the newgrowth. i would do it while holding it straight with a comb. you could also try it right after you take your rollers out so you have the different parted sections to work with.

tiffanyoneal said:
Hey I dont know how to answer your question because I am always in micros but i just wanted to tell you that you got some good growth!

Thank You Tiffany for ur kind words.

Mook's hair said:
When you say "I can't use a flatiron, hot comb, curling iron, etc..."
Do you mean you don't desire to do that you tried and it never comes out right or are you just afraid to?

Even when I was 5 months post. I was able to get my hair nice & straight by blowing out the roots and flat ironing. Do you have a friend relative or coworker who is also good with hair? If you're struggling maybe you need to recruit some help. OR Go to the Salon and just get them to wash condition and blow dry (NO styling) I've done this once or twice. It's cheap and you don't have to worry about them cutting anything. You can even go do this at a Supercuts or Hair Cuttery they usually have at least one employee who specializes in ethnic hair.

I never did anything real special when I did mine. I would spray with diluted infusium and then spray some IC PM oil on the roots and blow it out with a corney Gold n Hot blow dryer with the comb attachment. And I'd flat iron with my skinny Conair ceramic flat iron. That's it.

My hair challenge says I can use direct heat: starting september I can. I wanna try to blow out my roots w/ a styler dryer: but I don't know a way to get most of my ng straight anyway: Like when I air dry my hair in a ponytail: my ng in the front gets straight and it dryes that way.
I don't know anyone: everyone comes to me...theres only 5 ppl in south jersey that are niko's cousins....thanks for ur help. I do believe their is like a Jamaican salon from me.

I found that when I rollerset with my mesh rollers, my ng get's straight enough so I don't have to worry about blowing out or flatironing my roots. I love the tension that they give. But, I when I wear my rollersets, I wear mine more curly than straight. But you should give them a try.

i can apply Chi Silk Infusion to my newgrowth and use the dryer to straighten: does that sound ok

crlsweetie912 said:
I found that when I rollerset with my mesh rollers, my ng get's straight enough so I don't have to worry about blowing out or flatironing my roots. I love the tension that they give. But, I when I wear my rollersets, I wear mine more curly than straight. But you should give them a try.

I tried: my hair doesn't like them:(

Last edited:
Well, one thing that I finds helps me out A LOT is pulling my hair back in a ponytail while it is still wet. I usually do this while in the shower. I squeeze the water out of my pony then after a few minutes, I take the pony down to spray my infusium in and put it right back into my pony. After that I put a scarf on to tame those edges. This method helps me out a lot because it stretches my NG out and allows it to airdry that way. My roots are always A LOT easier to flatiron after that.

WillyGWifey said:
I don't know anyone: everyone comes to me...theres only 5 ppl in south jersey that are niko's cousins....thanks for ur help. I do believe their is like a Jamaican salon from me.

Uh Oh... :yep: Wait a minute.... Where are you? I'm in South Jersey too.:woot: Uh Oh. :bouncegre:bouncegre
Pennsauken / And I work in Mt. Laurel.

Holla.:yay:

mzhotniz86 said:
try getting the blowdryer with the nozzle or attachment nozzle that looks like this :

babyblow.jpg

this is the type of nozzle dominicans use to get the roots straight. make sure you focus on the newgrowth. i would do it while holding it straight with a comb. you could also try it right after you take your rollers out so you have the different parted sections to work with.

What about using a blow dryer with a comb attachment?

Mook's hair said:
Uh Oh... :yep: Wait a minute.... Where are you? I'm in South Jersey too.:woot: Uh Oh. :bouncegre:bouncegre
Pennsauken / And I work in Mt. Laurel.

Holla.:yay:
:lachen:

Cool: I'm in Sicklerville (the rowan university exit): wow! I did roll call for south jersey and 2 ppl responded: 2 hit me up on fotki: and i just assumed there was one person who didn't read the post.

loved said:
What about using a blow dryer with a comb attachment?

I have a styler dryer (below) to blow out my roots: but I wanna get my new growth straight as possible w/o blowing my roots out first.
hc_sd4blrs.jpg

Good question. I see women 2 months past a relaxer with straight smooth edges and I'm like WTH?!

My hair is resistant to almost everything so blowdrying my roots never really works for me (maybe I'm doing something wrong). When I go to the Dominican salon the stylist blow out my roots with a blowdryer with a tapered nozel and a round small brush or a comb and it comes out perfectly straight, maybe try that.

Also, when I used Wild Growth oil it would make my roots really straight. I've heard that Amla oil can do the same thing without the stink.

thank you caribeandiva :kiss:

also: Sleek&bouncy: amla oil does straighten my new growth out a little straighter: I don't think i ever straightened my hair after I prepooed w/ Amla Oil: I think you gave me a wonderful idea.

ETA: u have long beautiful hair: i saw ur pics: have you ever did a henna: your hair has some beautiful tones: it looks more natural so I'm assuming it is: but it wouldn't hurt to ask.

Last edited:
WillyGWifey said:
thank you caribeandiva :kiss:

also: Sleek&bouncy: amla oil does straighten my new growth out a little straighter: I don't think i ever straightened my hair after I prepooed w/ Amla Oil: I think you gave me a wonderful idea.

ETA: u have long beautiful hair: i saw ur pics: have you ever did a henna: your hair has some beautiful tones: it looks more natural so I'm assuming it is: but it wouldn't hurt to ask.

I've never used henna. I've bleached it for highlights which was not my brightest idea, but those grew out a long time ago. Right now it's mostly my natural hair color, but sometimes I'll use Sebastian's colourshines in a reddish color (I can get the color name if you want). It's brings out the more red/tawny colors in my hair.

You said the front of your hair gets straight when dried in a ponytail?

Have you tried drying your hair in multiple ponies so you target your roots in sections and pull it taut?

SleekandBouncy said:
I've never used henna. I've bleached it for highlights which was not my brightest idea, but those grew out a long time ago. Right now it's mostly my natural hair color, but sometimes I'll use Sebastian's colourshines in a reddish color (I can get the color name if you want). It's brings out the more red/tawny colors in my hair.

would u plz

OnAHairQuest said:
You said the front of your hair gets straight when dried in a ponytail?

Have you tried drying your hair in multiple ponies so you target your roots in sections and pull it taut?

I have before but I still had new growth and my hair was stuck in pigtails: i mean: you can tell where the scunci's and parts were: i couldn't comb them away.

WillyG, have you tried to airdry with the scarf pulled tight on your head? I think Sylver uses this method when she stretches for months on end.

I have a hot air brush, which looks like a curling iron but blows hot air. It does wonders on my ng and since its small like a curling iron I can target the roots.

Cleve_gryl said:
WillyG, have you tried to airdry with the scarf pulled tight on your head? I think Sylver uses this method when she stretches for months on end.

I have a hot air brush, which looks like a curling iron but blows hot air. It does wonders on my ng and since its small like a curling iron I can target the roots.

yup: thats how I dry my hair if i'm not rollersetting: its usually going into my hair that doesn't lay flat: especially my crown area: i try my best to comb my crown w/o snagging and ripping (thanks lacio)....i hope blowing out my roots will be good enough........should I part my hair into sections and pull them tight and then blow out the roots?

thegirltolove said:
Well, one thing that I finds helps me out A LOT is pulling my hair back in a ponytail while it is still wet. I usually do this while in the shower. I squeeze the water out of my pony then after a few minutes, I take the pony down to spray my infusium in and put it right back into my pony. After that I put a scarf on to tame those edges. This method helps me out a lot because it stretches my NG out and allows it to airdry that way. My roots are always A LOT easier to flatiron after that.

WillyG, I think a salon blowout of roots without that excessive heat, brush pulling and smoke I see at my Dominican salon is a great idea. I did my touchup with a good stylist last week and watched her blow out the roots of a client...no smoke, no crazy brush pulling...think I'll try longer than the almost 10 weeks stretch next time and have her do a roots blowout to stretch longer because I love the new, healthy growth I have post stretch.

Thegirltolove....your motivation photo made me laugh with his curled do!!

BrooklynSouth said:
WillyG, I think a salon blowout of roots without that excessive heat, brush pulling and smoke I see at my Dominican salon is a great idea. I did my touchup with a good stylist last week and watched her blow out the roots of a client...no smoke, no crazy brush pulling...think I'll try longer than the almost 10 weeks stretch next time and have her do a roots blowout to stretch longer because I love the new, healthy growth I have post stretch.

Thegirltolove....your motivation photo made me laugh with his curled do!!

:lachen: Leo makes me wanna DC! I wanna be like him when I grow up! LOL!

Back