Straightening natural hair--blow out or wash n set and blow?

PhonyBaloney500

I have natural hair but like to wear it straight sometimes (especially if I'm going to get a trim). Is it better to wash and set and have them blow it out (not just the roots but the whole thing in my case) than to have them blow it out from completely wet hair? I imagine the latter is somewhat bad because it's direct heat with a brush....but on the other hand with a wash and set, you're sitting under a dryer for 40 minutes and THEN getting a blow out and I feel like it takes a long time to get the Shirley Temple curliness out of it.

I've never had it pressed either--somehow that seems especially bad to me!

PhonyBaloney500 said:
I have natural hair but like to wear it straight sometimes (especially if I'm going to get a trim). Is it better to wash and set and have them blow it out (not just the roots but the whole thing in my case) than to have them blow it out from completely wet hair? I imagine the latter is somewhat bad because it's direct heat with a brush....but on the other hand with a wash and set, you're sitting under a dryer for 40 minutes and THEN getting a blow out and I feel like it takes a long time to get the Shirley Temple curliness out of it.

I've never had it pressed either--somehow that seems especially bad to me!

This is just my opinion, as I haven't worn my hair natural in a number of years. I am thinking that it would be healthier to get a wash-n-set, blowing out the roots. If you hair is set properly and dried thoroughly, it should come out straight. In that case, you can blow just the roots, wrap your hair and voila!. On the other hand, if your hair is super curly, you may still see some waves in after removing the rollers, in which you can have your stylist blow it out a little.

I'm just not an advocate for direct heat, of any type.

Back