Straightening my Hair is Impossible

MissMeWithThatIsh

Hey ladies...

Straightening my hair is a trip without my MaxiGlide Flatirons, and it's virtually impossible.

I have purchased CHI Silk Infusion, the Sally Generic Chi 44 Iron Guard, and the ION Straightener from Sally's in ther past week. The week before I had purchased One and Only Ceramic Silk, which was ineffective as well.

When blowdrying my hair, it's just a big ball of volume (I'm 4a in transition so ok that's understandable)... but when flatironing, the hair will only stay flat and straight after it's done and that's it!

When I used to use the Maxiglide, I just used their serum and did it on damp hair, and my hair was flat and would stay flat and moisturized looking until the next work out. I don't know what I'm doing wrong, but I'mm going nuts and I cannot wash my hair everyday and take 2 or 3 hours straightening it (which is my default time as my hair is thick!!!)

Here's the last picture I had with a Maxius Flatiron a year ago... and a BAD picture a few months back of my hair texture... Help!

hair.jpg

IMG000291.jpg

IMG00139.jpg

I realized about 2 weeks ago I was using it improperly, and just applying it like gel to the hair. The most important thing about Curlaway is that you have to straighten your hair while it's in the drying process.

It's made myhair softer and smoother, but the texture is not any different as of yet. I'm now using it 2x a week at night after I wash, in order to start seeing the "promised results". My hair did blow dry with a little sheen but the Curlaway is not a moisturizer or a heat or humidity protectant.

After Curlaway is rinsed out, I still need something that will powerfully help straighten, and keep straight my hair. :sad:

In direct response to your post, I am a 4a natural and my hair laughed at the Chi irons. My hair likes the Jibere iron that is sold at Sallys. The only thing that gets my hair super super straight now are the stove marcel flat irons that stylists use. However, outside of the type of flat iron, it seems to be that you are expecting your natural hair to behave like your relaxed hair used to...and therein lies the problem.

One thing I learned when I was transitioning was that my natural hair does not like to be straight :nono: Part of transitioning your hair is transitioning your mindset...its not just about growing out your natural hair. You have to change your thoughts about what styles your hair can achieve and at what cost (i.e. heat damage). If you start the mental transition about styles and your texture now, then you will be much better off when all you have is a head full of 4a coils.

Instead of focusing on wearing straight styles, I would encourage you to try braidouts, twists, rollersets and other styles that show texture. These styles will also hold up better to your workout regimen. If your intention is to always wear straight styles, then many naturals have found it is better to be relaxed than to damage their hair by constantly using heat to keep it straight.

If wearing your hair straight is your 100% style of preference, then you may want to rethink your transition.
Otherwise, embrace the kinks, experiment with otherstyles, and have fun :grin: I was exactly where you were during my transition...and once I realized that my natural texture was different and therefore did better with different non-relaxer straight styles....then my transition flowed smoothly.

So anyways...hope that helps. Best wishes on your hair journey.

Last edited:
In direct response to your post, I am a 4a natural and my hair laughed at the Chi irons. My hair likes the Jibere iron that is sold at Sallys. The only thing that gets my hair super super straight now are the stove marcel flat irons that stylists use. However, outside of the type of flat iron, it seems to be that you are expecting your natural hair to behave like your relaxed hair used to...and therein lies the problem.

One thing I learned when I was transitioning was that my natural hair does not like to be straight :nono: Part of transitioning your hair is transitioning your mindset...its not just about growing out your natural hair. You have to change your thoughts about what styles your hair can achieve and at what cost (i.e. heat damage). If you start the mental transition about styles and your texture now, then you will be much better off when all you have is a head full of 4a coils.

Instead of focusing on wearing straight styles, I would encourage you to try braidouts, twists, rollersets and other styles that show texture. These styles will also hold up better to your workout regimen. If your intention is to always wear straight styles, then many naturals have found it is better to be relaxed than to damage their hair by constantly using heat to keep it straight.

If wearing your hair straight is your 100% style of preference, then you may want to rethink your transition.
Otherwise, embrace the kinks, experiment with otherstyles, and have fun :grin: I was exactly where you were during my transition...and once I realized that my natural texture was different and therefore did better with different non-relaxer straight styles....then my transition flowed smoothly.

ITA with everything she just said. I had to experience a complete paradigm shift regarding my natural hair texture before I even began transitioning, or else I would have just stayed relaxed. That's probably why it took me so long to go back to natural in the first place: I wasn't ready mentally until now.

Thanks for the input ladies!

I don't expect my hair to act as if it did when texturized. My hair wuold hardly hold ANY style when chemically processed. I like my natural texture when it's properly maintained, but I don't know how to twist or anything plus I'm 1/2 and 1/2. The line of demarcation has caused a loss of hair before and either straw setting (which is not affordable or available out here) or straightening is my only option. Perhaps if I can find a suitable tex laxer can try that, but until then, I'm not touching my hair with any chemical. I'm trying to use curlaway and other pressing techniques, but we'll see what eventually happens !

I don't expect my hair to act as if it did when texturized. My hair wuold hardly hold ANY style when chemically processed. I like my natural texture when it's properly maintained, but I don't know how to twist or anything plus I'm 1/2 and 1/2. The line of demarcation has caused a loss of hair before and either straw setting (which is not affordable or available out here) or straightening is my only option. Perhaps if I can find a suitable tex laxer can try that, but until then, I'm not touching my hair with any chemical. I'm trying to use curlaway and other pressing techniques, but we'll see what eventually happens !

Not to be mean or anything but that sounds like a cop out to me. But trust me, we've all been there. I know I was. There are plenty of other styles you can do besides twists, straw sets or flat ironing. If you don't want to go to a salon, you can use this board as well as the other hair boards for help as far as styles go. I've found that fotki's are very good for that. Since you are transitioning, you need to wear low manipulation styles so you don't stress that line of demarcation. Have you thought about a rod set? What about a twist out or a braid out? You also have enough hair for a bun. It would be easier to try and get your straight hair to look like your new growth than to get the new growth to look like your relaxed hair. Also, IDK how you feel about wearing fake hair (I know some people do not like it) but that is also an option to get through your transition. There are plenty of options as far as wigs, braids, weaves, half wigs/falls, phony ponies, etc.

Not to be mean or anything but that sounds like a cop out to me. But trust me, we've all been there. I know I was. There are plenty of other styles you can do besides twists, straw sets or flat ironing. If you don't want to go to a salon, you can use this board as well as the other hair boards for help as far as styles go. I've found that fotki's are very good for that. Since you are transitioning, you need to wear low manipulation styles so you don't stress that line of demarcation. Have you thought about a rod set? What about a twist out or a braid out? You also have enough hair for a bun. It would be easier to try and get your straight hair to look like your new growth than to get the new growth to look like your relaxed hair. Also, IDK how you feel about wearing fake hair (I know some people do not like it) but that is also an option to get through your transition. There are plenty of options as far as wigs, braids, weaves, half wigs/falls, phony ponies, etc.

It's all good.
I've been bunning and gelling my hair down for 7 months now, and I'm just concerned of weakening the hair by doing such a process over and over. I've been in buns for over a year, and I don't plan on having straight hair all the time when I'm natural, but if I want to press my hair, I feel like I should be able to know how to do it and get salon perfect results when the time is necessary. If I knew how to braid (and I dont) a BO would be fine.

It's all good.
I've been bunning and gelling my hair down for 7 months now, and I'm just concerned of weakening the hair by doing such a process over and over. I've been in buns for over a year, and I don't plan on having straight hair all the time when I'm natural, but if I want to press my hair, I feel like I should be able to know how to do it and get salon perfect results when the time is necessary. If I knew how to braid (and I dont) a BO would be fine.

You can't do individual plaits? You don't have to be able to cornrow or flat twist to do a twist out or braid out. You can just make single twists or single plaits and then take them out.

Hey Lauryn,

I feel your pain and struggle sis. It will get better. I would advise you to stop straightening your hair while transitioning unless you want to big chop. You are going to lose/damage a lot of hair that way. My suggestion is to use the scarf method of smoothing, get braids, or wear cornrows under a wig in order to get a flowing look.

I'm a 4b, but I read that 4a is actually more fragile and prone to damage, so be very careful.

Hey Lauryn,

I feel your pain and struggle sis. It will get better. I would advise you to stop straightening your hair while transitioning unless you want to big chop. You are going to lose/damage a lot of hair that way. My suggestion is to use the scarf method of smoothing, get braids, or wear cornrows under a wig in order to get a flowing look.

I'm a 4b, but I read that 4a is actually more fragile and prone to damage, so be very careful.[/quote]

:perplexed hwhat?!

Is this for real? I heard it was the other way around... I sure hope not, do you mean natural hair or relaxed?

I know Im getting OT, sorry

Hey Lauryn,

I'm a 4b, but I read that 4a is actually more fragile and prone to damage, so be very careful.[/quote]

:perplexed hwhat?!

Is this for real? I heard it was the other way around... I sure hope not, do you mean natural hair or relaxed?

I know Im getting OT, sorry

Yep, I've heard 4a was more fragile due to the number of spirals along the strand. I forget where I read it, it was probably on here.

I agree with the above poster that said that you have to change your mindset. You can't treat natural hair the same way as your natural hair. Even if your hair is natural with fine or medium strands, still not best to treat it the exact same way you would relaxed or bone-straight hair.

Hey Lauryn,

I'm a 4b, but I read that 4a is actually more fragile and prone to damage, so be very careful.

ITA, when I first stopped relaxing I had to cut hair that had heat damage from trying to press it too much.

Hi Lauryn...

I would encourage you to tap into your creative side. I didnt know "how" to do two strand twists and a lot of other styles when I first started transitioning. My first two attempts...I really shouldnt have gone outside the house:nono: It was probably my fourth attempt before I found what products and techniques yielded the best results...but I embraced the journey even the looking crazy as I learned part. Like Bmoreflyygirl said, experiment with plats and see what type of braid out looks that you get. Learning to style is part of the process and most LHCFers had to practice in order to become DIYers.

Some of the other posters brought up a very real risk as well, if you are using a lot of heat during your transition then you risk damaging (making what would have been coils looser or straight) your hair and having to chop off damaged ends when you finally are fully natural.

You are not limited by your current skills or by your half and half hair in the styles that you can wear. Its up to you to be creative, experiment, and not be banished to the bun :ohwell: If you want to stay away from chemicals (which would include texlaxers), I would encourage you to wait until you are fully natural before attempting straight styles. My constant attempts to have straight hair while transitioning almost sent me back to the relaxer.

So anyways....I hope you find the results you are looking for....

Cosigning, especially the bolded part. For years, I was natural and didn't want to relax for a variety of reasons. I relaxed in May and it's one of the best hair decisions I've made. I still have a curl pattern so I can wear it curly but I'm not fighting with my hair anymore. When I was natural, it took me about 5 hours to straighten it. Now, it only takes about 1-1.5 hours to straighten and that includes time used to blow out the roots. Plus, I'm usually doing my hair in front of the tv...I bet if I focused, it would take less time.

I would encourage you to look into other options if you are interested in wearing your hair straight 50% or more of the time.

That is the 100% truth :yep:

Back