straightened naturals what is your regimin??

L.Brown1114

i straightened my hair 2 days ago and i moisturized it and put hot 6 oil on it and half of it reverted :wallbash:. naturals how do you moisturize your hair when its straight??

ps: im going to a white salon to get my ends trimmed, good idea??

Hmmm I think you should mainly focus on moisturizing only the ends, then maybe wrap it at night to keep it smooth and flat,:yep:

And as for the salon thing, ANY stylist can get a little scissor happy so just make sure that they know exactly how much you want trimmed and always keep an eye on them.

^^ That's what I use. I put some on the ends & twist into bantu knots/china bumps at night. If I wanted the sleek look I'd wrap it.

I personally do a good moisture DC before I press then "wet-to-dry" flatiron adding more moisture, then seal with a serum. So for the duration of the "straight look" I don't add anything else. It wouldn't make sense anyway, since the serum seals my hair completely so products would just sit on top.

As far as getting your hair trimmed, take someone you trust with you to be a witness and to make sure they trim what you ask them to trim. I think SHS are bound to behave if they are being watched. :bat:

I DC with cocnut oil n conditioner concentrating on my ends, then the only thing I add is a heat protectant until after I'm done then I use a small amount of Afterparty by bed head to smooth and shine. Then I leave it alone.I may use coconut oil after so many days and even then its just a small amount and really just on my ends when I pincurl it up at night. I dont like wrapping my hair unless I'm just going to wear a ponytail because I hate flat hair. So I pin curl my hair and it takes time but your hair will stay perfect with lots of body and movement. Lots of people think you have to keep moisturizing your hair when its straight but it just means more build up which inturn means heavy hair, dirty hair and stiff hair. if you add a heavier oil like evoo in your DC it will make a huge difference and you wont have to use oils while flat ironing, unless you like that fake bling type of shine. I prefer a natural sheen as opposed to a shine

The only product that keeps my natural hair from reverting after straigtening is grease.

I just recently straightened my natural hair. This is what I did:
Put my hair in 8 fat twists (4 on each side)
Applied Mane n Tail Conditioner to each section one at a time, then blowdried. After blowdrying the section, I would plait it up.
After blowdrying all sections, I would unravel the plait, apply grease (Ultra Sheen), and flat-iron in smaller sections.
That's it.

Last edited:
After washing and DC under the steamer, I put Chi Silk infusion in my hair and spray with Motions heat protectant spray. I only put Moroccanoil, coconut oil, or jojoba oil on my ends after my hair is straight and wrap. Or I will put in a loose pony and put a flexi rod at the top for a little bump. If I'm still wearing my hair straight but in a ponytail, I can use Jane Carter's Hair Nourishing cream. It's pretty light so it doesn't make my hair revert.

Check out this post on my blog, on my straightening technique and results.

http://astrofashionista.blogspot.com/2010/07/carols-daughter-product-review.html

i straightened my hair 2 days ago and i moisturized it and put hot 6 oil on it and half of it reverted :wallbash:. naturals how do you moisturize your hair when its straight??

ps: im going to a white salon to get my ends trimmed, good idea??

L.Brown,
Okay here goes... I'm trying to stay commited to straightening my hair 2x a year MAX because of my MTG/MEGA TEK Challenge. But whenever I do flat iron here is my regimen:

i make sure i clarify first (Paul Mitchell TeaTree is the bees nees!), this gives you a slightly stripped feeling but at the same time very clean and not dry. I want my hair to be slightly stripped so that when I flat iron I can achive maximum bounce. :yep:

then I deep condition w/ 2 ORS paks plus Some Suave Almond&Shea Butter condish. wrap it with saran wrap and sit under a hooded dryer for 45 min.

Rinse out- detangle...
Then air dry with 8 or so two strand twists.

Once i am completely dry i spray in some Aphogee leave in conditioner spray applying it 1 section at a time. I use this as a heat protectant, works wonderfully because it is light and does protect my hair from damage.

Then i blow dry my roots on high heat, and the length of my hair and ends with cool air.

After blowdrying, I start at the back and flat iron 1 inch pieces at a time concentrating on my roots. This takes about 2 hours for me to do b/c my hair is thick at the roots and my flat iron is only a 3/4 inch.

After flat ironing I apply a very small amount of Redkin Heat Glide for humidity protection and shine!!! This stuff works wonders. Ive had it for 2 years and not even half the bottle is gone yet. You can try this or try any other humidity protecting serum.

Because I have done a deep conditioning treatment AND applied Aphogee - there is no need to put anything else on my hair until it's time to wash again. If I did apply other products it would wiegh down my bouncy straight style. This style last for about a month If you don't exercise or sweat a lot.

If this doesnt work you can try doing a dominican blow-out..HOWEVER

.Dominican Blowout DISCLAIMER: a While back I did a dominican blow out and fell in LOVE with it so i went back every 3 weeks to get it redone. After about 4 blowouts my hair was breaking more and more and the length I thought i was retaining was deminishing! :wallbash: It took months for me to nurse my hair back to health and at the mercy of clipping 4 inches of split ends. Although the results are long lasting and AMAZING, this style requires a LOT of heat!!!!! Protected or not, the amount of heat they put directly on your hair can cause major damage if you aren't cautious.

ps. Doesnt matter where you go to get your ends clipped, white, black, hispanic salon.... as long as they can cut some hair go for it. I went to a salon that is a lot like Tony & Guy and they JACKED my stuff up so, make sure you get the 411 on the person who will be trimming you. I advise you to "kick the tires before you buy the car".. If you know what I mean...:grin:

Last edited:
I DC with cocnut oil n conditioner concentrating on my ends, then the only thing I add is a heat protectant until after I'm done then I use a small amount of Afterparty by bed head to smooth and shine. Then I leave it alone.I may use coconut oil after so many days and even then its just a small amount and really just on my ends when I pincurl it up at night. I dont like wrapping my hair unless I'm just going to wear a ponytail because I hate flat hair. So I pin curl my hair and it takes time but your hair will stay perfect with lots of body and movement. Lots of people think you have to keep moisturizing your hair when its straight but it just means more build up which inturn means heavy hair, dirty hair and stiff hair. if you add a heavier oil like evoo in your DC it will make a huge difference and you wont have to use oils while flat ironing, unless you like that fake bling type of shine. I prefer a natural sheen as opposed to a shine

That's the one thing I don't like about the EVCO. I feel like it makes my hair get dirty fast. The only time I ever really use it is when my hair is straight bc that's the only thing I've found to work to keep my hair soft and give my normally dull hair some shine. I also hate the fact that the EVCO freezes in your hair when it's cold outside.

I press my hair every two weeks. Here's my regimen:

Clarify with Redken Hair Cleansing Creme, then Shamppo with Keracare Detangling Shampoo.

Condition with Ms. Clairol Conditioner or HairVeda Shrinillah Conditioner

Use Chi Silk Infusion and a dab of Ultra Sheen Creme Press before blowdrying.

Use Ultra Sheen to press with a hotcomb.

Oil hair with either Hairveda's Shikakai Oil, Coconut Oil, or JBCO.

HTH!

thanks ladies for all the info!! so oils only on your ends and your good to go is wut im hearing but some ppl are iffy about the EVCO. i hate the smell of it anyways so i wont be using it so ill probably try EVOO. and pincurling for bounce and wrapping for flat got it, thanks!

Back