Straight hair with no relaxer and no excessive heat?

jazzybklyn

Hi ladies! I'm here watching ricki lakes black hair episode and it has me thinking about my hair and its great potential. I'm relaxed and considering going natural but I honestly like to wear straight hair most of the time without weave. I wouldn't mind a fro once in a blue but I would like straight most of the time. Before I actually decide to transition is there a way to have straight hair without chemically damaging or heat damaging my hair??

Hmmm basically direct heat often like flat ironing every week

Ok well here is the thing,

depending on your natural hair texture you may be able to get away with rollersetting alone. you will be using heat but it is indirect.

another option is to rollerset and just flat iron the roots.Many people relaxed and natural have success with this method.

my only issue with low heat options for natural hair is that the hair is much more likely to swell or frizz then if heat was applied. some naturals have poofy hair directly after a flat iron. Just imagine when a no/low heat method instead! There are ways to prevent/reduce the frizz of course but I wont get into that now.

another option is fake hair.you can try getting a straight haired wig or you can opt to get a weave with a closure. if applied correctly it looks just like your own hair and you wont have to worry about your hair frizzing up.

It is defineltey possible to be a straight haired natural but there are some times where the curls are more convenient:yep:

Actually, wanting to do the low heat and rollerset thing is what made me relax my natural hair. A beautiful rollerset would shrink into a 2 inch fro after i stepped outside.:nono:

I could go on and on about this but I am just gonna stop here for now....lol

If you have a looser texture (2-3) then you may be able to get straight w/just a blowdry or a rollerset alone.

Brazilian keratin treatment could be the solution. QOD Organiq is formaldehyde free. Ask the leadies on the BKT thread.

Straightening every 2 weeks seems to work for a lot of people, but everybody's hair is different.

What works for me is stretching my hair and it comes out straight enough for my liking. Even if roller sets or stretching don't get your hair straight enough and you have to flat iron at least you're only using one heat source so it's worth a try.

I feel like going natural with no intention of wearing your natural texture is a little risky. You'll either have to embrace the natural and wear it at least sometimes or incur heat damage. But I also don't think heat damage is all that bad :look: if you wear your hair straight all the time. I just wouldn't want heat damage because I wear my natural texture often and it'd look bad.

Well another option if you don't want to rock a fro is to do a long transition and don't chop until your hair is long enough to bun. Wear it in a bun between heat styling. You could still change it up with roller sets and wear it curly to give it a break too.

I am a 4a/b natural and wear my hair straight most of the time. I mostly wear weaves with texture and I just leave a small amount of hair out to limit my heat use. I'm not comfortable wearing closures at the moment. I straighten my hair 1-2 times a month and my hair is healthy and reverts completely. I focus on deep conditioning treatments to keep my hair strong.

It can be done by rollersetting. Especially if you Begin your transition by stretching your new growth in this way.

Hi ladies! I'm here watching ricki lakes black hair episode and it has me thinking about my hair and its great potential. I'm relaxed and considering going natural but I honestly like to wear straight hair most of the time without weave. I wouldn't mind a fro once in a blue but I would like straight most of the time. Before I actually decide to transition is there a way to have straight hair without chemically damaging or heat damaging my hair??

You can rollerset your hair and, if necessary, lightly flat iron your roots. That's a healthy way to wear straight hair without a relaxer. I stetch my relaxers up to 7 months this way and I'm thinking about using this method to transition.

My definition of excessive heat is different than yours. For me, if I flat iron my hair once at a pretty good heat, following all conditioning and heat protections, and it lasts 7-10 days and I can maintain it with soft rollers and dont have to go back to the flat iron, I dont see it that as excessive. Because on the flip side, I am manipulating my hair less, I dont have to add any additional product, and daily styling is much easier. My natural hair is much more resilient than my relaxed hair, therefore it can stand a little more heat.

Ok well here is the thing,

depending on your natural hair texture you may be able to get away with rollersetting alone. you will be using heat but it is indirect.

another option is to rollerset and just flat iron the roots.Many people relaxed and natural have success with this method.

my only issue with low heat options for natural hair is that the hair is much more likely to swell or frizz then if heat was applied. some naturals have poofy hair directly after a flat iron. Just imagine when a no/low heat method instead! There are ways to prevent/reduce the frizz of course but I wont get into that now.

another option is fake hair.you can try getting a straight haired wig or you can opt to get a weave with a closure. if applied correctly it looks just like your own hair and you wont have to worry about your hair frizzing up.

It is defineltey possible to be a straight haired natural but there are some times where the curls are more convenient:yep:

Actually, wanting to do the low heat and rollerset thing is what made me relax my natural hair. A beautiful rollerset would shrink into a 2 inch fro after i stepped outside.:nono:

I could go on and on about this but I am just gonna stop here for now....lol

Loll that's what I am doing now. Well not flat ironing but I'm roller setting and blowing out the roots at the Dominican salon. My hair is very thick and tough I think 4b. Are things like the in styler less damaging than flat irons? Because I know continuos Dominican blowing isn't good either. Thanks for your help!

Straightening every 2 weeks seems to work for a lot of people, but everybody's hair is different.

What works for me is stretching my hair and it comes out straight enough for my liking. Even if roller sets or stretching don't get your hair straight enough and you have to flat iron at least you're only using one heat source so it's worth a try.

I feel like going natural with no intention of wearing your natural texture is a little risky. You'll either have to embrace the natural and wear it at least sometimes or incur heat damage. But I also don't think heat damage is all that bad :look: if you wear your hair straight all the time. I just wouldn't want heat damage because I wear my natural texture often and it'd look bad.

Well another option if you don't want to rock a fro is to do a long transition and don't chop until your hair is long enough to bun. Wear it in a bun between heat styling. You could still change it up with roller sets and wear it curly to give it a break too.

Thanks! Yeaa I agree with it being risky. The binning in between is a good suggestion because I wear buns often being relaxed and wear my hair out straight about once every 3 weeks

I am a 4a/b natural and wear my hair straight most of the time. I mostly wear weaves with texture and I just leave a small amount of hair out to limit my heat use. I'm not comfortable wearing closures at the moment. I straighten my hair 1-2 times a month and my hair is healthy and reverts completely. I focus on deep conditioning treatments to keep my hair strong.

Thanks! Yeaa I usually wear my hair up a lot so once a month can probably work for me

You can rollerset your hair and, if necessary, lightly flat iron your roots. That's a healthy way to wear straight hair without a relaxer. I stetch my relaxers up to 7 months this way and I'm thinking about using this method to transition.

Yeaa that's sounds good and helpful. Thanks!

My definition of excessive heat is different than yours. For me, if I flat iron my hair once at a pretty good heat, following all conditioning and heat protections, and it lasts 7-10 days and I can maintain it with soft rollers and dont have to go back to the flat iron, I dont see it that as excessive. Because on the flip side, I am manipulating my hair less, I dont have to add any additional product, and daily styling is much easier. My natural hair is much more resilient than my relaxed hair, therefore it can stand a little more heat.

Idk if it is excessive for sure just based on the forums browsing that's what I got out of it. Because I don't flat iron at all. It's nice to know that you have success with this method. I think I will do this. What heat protector to you use?

image-4220698421.jpg

image-994535930.jpg

Idk if you can tell if I'm 4a or b from these pics but I just washed my hair today and blow dried it. I last relaxed mid October

jazzybklyn

I wasn't sure what styler you were talking about. I'm sorry if i missed something.

you might consider keratin treatments. the thing is that the formulas vary alot and most of the time people use extremely high heat to apply.(which is unnecessary imo)

as far as your hair texture goes, its too early to tell really, especially if you have blowdried. judging from what i see though your hair doesn't look 4bish to me...

jazzybklyn

I wasn't sure what styler you were talking about. I'm sorry if i missed something.

you might consider keratin treatments. the thing is that the formulas vary alot and most of the time people use extremely high heat to apply.(which is unnecessary imo)

as far as your hair texture goes, its too early to tell really, especially if you have blowdried. judging from what i see though your hair doesn't look 4bish to me...

Nvm the styler thing lol. Yeaaa I was considering the keratin but I have to research it more because I don't want it to be damaging

Sistawithrealhair o. Youtube has pretty wsl? hair, she straightens once,a, month
She does have some straight pieces that won't revert...

Back