Straight Hair With Absolutely *NO* heat

Peachtree

I'm soooo happy
smile.gif
dance7.gif
. I've just discovered a way to achieve "straight" hair without using those jumbo magnetic rollers followed by the dreaded hooded dryer (gosh I hate that thing
mad.gif
).

And to think, I've read tons of posts where members use this technique all of the time, yet I had absolutely no idea that "straight hair" would be the result
hammer.gif
. Sometimes I can be so clueless... but there's hope... I'm learning slowly but surely
smile.gif

Ok, here's the big discovery I've made..... "AIR DRYING IN A BUN"!!!

THIS IS AWESOME
cool.gif
. My hair looks just as straight as it did when I used to blow dry (9 mths ago), but with tons more volume....no frizzies here
nono.gif
. Wow wee, this is a great drying method
grin.gif

Here's what I did...
I tried out my new VO5 Conditioner (Cumcumber & Melon
lick.gif
). I slapped it all over my "dry" hair then placed a plastic cap on. I was intending to leave it on for 15 mins, but I kept it on for an hour. Then I proceeded to the shower where I massaged it into my scalp & gently down the length, then rinsed it out & gently squeezed away the drips. I sprayed my Motions Nourish Leave in, Wonder 8 Oil & combed through. (BTW, the comb literally slipped through my hair
smile.gif
). I gathered the hair into a ponytail, made a bun, covered with a satin bonnet & went to bed.

The next day, my hair was straight with a few waves due to the slight dampness. Today, it is totally straight... it looks like I blow dried or did a roller set with my jumbo rollers. I still can not believe that I have achieved this same look without any heat. I'm having a ton of fun discovering all of the ways that I can "air dry" & achieve a different style with each
grin.gif

Sorry for the long post, but I couldn't keep it to myself....I had to share...
cool.gif

God Bless,
Peachtree

that sounds great! thanks for sharing. so, what do you think contributed to the extra straightness? applying the conditioner onto dry hair or leaving it on for an extra hour. you know i want to try it
sekret.gif

Good tips, Peachtree. Too bad this woulnd't work so well on 4a unprocessed hair, but maybe I'll give it a try using a bunch of little buns...

I wish I could airdry in a bun and have it come out straight but mine always comes out with waves. When you do the bun, do you gather into a ponytail first then twist the length of the hair round and round in a coil that coils around itself into the bun? This is what I do but don't think mine comes out straight
frown.gif

After your hair is completely dry, do you wrap it at nights to maintain the straightness? Please share tips! I want to try!

No problem Prettybrowneyes
cool.gif

Oh, also, I forgot to mention... I have updated pics in my album showing my hair while slightly damp & completely dry. It's under "June 2003"
cool.gif

[ QUOTE ]
that sounds great! thanks for sharing. so, what do you think contributed to the extra straightness? applying the conditioner onto dry hair or leaving it on for an extra hour. you know i want to try it
sekret.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

You're welcome
cool.gif
. Luv, I have no idea
laugh.gif
. This was my first time trying this, so I can't really tell just yet. I'm planning to repeat by applying the conditioner to dry hair leave it on for maybe 15 min & see how that works. Then I'll try it again on wet hair & see if I get the same results. I love experimenting with different lil techniques to see what results I get
smile.gif
... I'll let u know....

[ QUOTE ]
Good tips, Peachtree. Too bad this woulnd't work so well on 4a unprocessed hair, but maybe I'll give it a try using a bunch of little buns...

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks
cool.gif
. I'm wishing u well missbrown
smile.gif

Hi Peachtree,

I do this method too, with success. I don't do a bun. I just do a ponytail and put two magnetic rollers on the ends, put on my satin bonnet, and go to bed. The next day it isn't totally dry, so I wear it in a ponytail. The trick for me though, is to wrap my hair the following night. It comes out just as straight as when I do my rollerset!!
smile.gif
I like it even more because it looks thicker from the airdrying!!

Ooooww... Peachtree, I just LOVE your hair in that Junior Year pic in your album!!! You have the most gorgeous head of hair, girl, and it looks like you were workin it all thru college!!
wink.gif
I know all the girls were HATIN on you!!
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I wish I could airdry in a bun and have it come out straight but mine always comes out with waves. When you do the bun, do you gather into a ponytail first then twist the length of the hair round and round in a coil that coils around itself into the bun? This is what I do but don't think mine comes out straight

After your hair is completely dry, do you wrap it at nights to maintain the straightness? Please share tips! I want to try!

[/ QUOTE ]

BRH, I had a few waves the first day where the satin scrunchie was. That part was still slightly damp. I applied some Wonder 8 Oil throughout my hair (a lil extra in the damp areas), & did another bun. The next day, the waves were pretty much gone
smile.gif

Making the bun with wet hair :
I made a ponytail with a silk scrunchie. I *DID NOT* "coil" twist the length to avoid having any "set" unwanted waves. Instead, I kept the length as straight as possible & proceeded to wrap the length around (on top) of my satin scrunchie. When I got to the ends (about 1"), I sprayed a bit more Wonder 8 Oil on them. I *DID NOT* tuck the ends under the scrunchie. Instead I "hair pinned" the ends onto the hair, slightly away from the bun. I did this to make sure that the ends could be fully exposed thus able to fully dry. Cover with a satin bonnet. (I hope that I'm painting a clear enough picture. If not, I can take a pic & post it to my album if needed).

Making the bun with dry hair: (maintenance)
Same as above, however I *DID NOT* start off with a ponytail. Instead, I gathered the hair loosely towards the back, made about 2 full coils, not down the entire length, but just enough to get the hair to bend around a bit, and kept wrapping around to make the bun. When I got to the 1" end hair, I applied a bit of oil, then layed the ends slightly under the bun. Then I took my satin scrunchie & wrapped it around the outer part of the bun...sorta' like the scrunchie was my "rubber band" holding the entire bun in place. Then covered with a satin bonnet.

shocked.gif
Peachtree my dear, you have got some of the most gorgeous hair I've ever seen. Girl is your hair bionic or something
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
. It's growing fast as heck. Continued success girlie and keep those creative pics coming
smile.gif

Whassup Lindy
cool.gif

Girl, let me tell u. I tried the ponytail with the jumbo magnetic roller.... & well, the "flat hair" dried, no problem. But guuuurl, the "length hair".....it was probably wetter than it was when I was washing it
laugh.gif
. I said nope, won't do this again
laugh.gif

See I know what the problem was... the problem is the magnetic rollers. First of all, they don't allow air to travel through, to the ends, like for instance "mesh rollers". Another thing is the technique itself... the "over lapping of hair". The more times u have to roll or "overlap" hair on the magnetic roller, the longer the airdrying time is....if it dries at all.... mine never did
mad.gif

Next, I'm gonna try air drying on my flexirods. This should dry really easily because the hair is not "over lapped" on the rod... it's "spiraled" & the entire length is fully exposed to the air to dry
smile.gif
.... ohhhh, I can't wait to try this one!!!

BTW, THANKS LINDY GIRL
cool.gif
.... u r soooo cool. I liked my hair in the "Jr" pic too, but I HATED
mad.gif
taking the time to "deal" with it. So much, that I just decided to cut it all off
laugh.gif
. I didn't know what an "at home" roller set was... all I knew about was a hot curler & hardening spritz. I had a caruso, but I didn't use it that often... if only I knew then what I know now.... I probably could have had ankle length by now
laugh.gif
!!!

[ QUOTE ]
shocked.gif
Peachtree my dear, you have got some of the most gorgeous hair I've ever seen. Girl is your hair bionic or something
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
. It's growing fast as heck. Continued success girlie and keep those creative pics coming
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

OMG, I can't type for laughing
laugh.gif
. Stop it, you're crackin' me up
laugh.gif
. I wish it was bionic.... I'd get a "patent" live it up
beach.gif
Thanks for your kindness sweetie
smile.gif

Thanks peachtree for the detailed reply. Now to see if I can actually ACHIEVE the look
laugh.gif
My hair has never ever dried straight when airdried so I'm wondering if its the strength relaxer that I have too which means its easy to go wavy unless I deliberately use heat.

Only one way to find out...

Hey Pebs, let me know how it goes....
cool.gif

BRH, no prob luv.
cool.gif
. BTW, you're right... the only way to find out is to try it... that's my lil motto, & I'm soooo happy that I did
smile.gif

Thanks Peachtree! I've been air drying my hair like this too, but my ends always come out wavy and take forever to dry because I always have it bound up in my little bun. I didn't know what to really do with the ends. (silly me) now it seems so simple reading that you just pin the ends to the hair with a bobby pin. Thanks soooo much!

And your hair type is 4A/B?! Simply beautiful! Has it always been that long and thick? Genetics? Good hair regimen? A combination of both? What? Your pics are VERY encouraging.
smile.gif
Although I'm aiming for shoulder length I want mine thicker and healthier.

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks Peachtree! I've been air drying my hair like this too, but my ends always come out wavy and take forever to dry because I always have it bound up in my little bun. I didn't know what to really do with the ends. (silly me) now it seems so simple reading that you just pin the ends to the hair with a bobby pin. Thanks soooo much!

And your hair type is 4A/B?! Simply beautiful! Has it always been that long and thick? Genetics? Good hair regimen? A combination of both? What? Your pics are VERY encouraging.
smile.gif
Although I'm aiming for shoulder length I want mine thicker and healthier.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're welcome Stormy
cool.gif
Now to answer your questions...Yes, it's been pretty long all of my life. The longest was about 2" longer than it is now (just short of waist length). Genetics & regime...Yes! Although I must say this... my regime is 9 mths old... prior to that I didn't have a regime & wasn't looking for one, yet I still had a nice length. However, sticking to a regime has enabled me to achieve longer lengths *faster*.
Thanks for your kind, kind words. "Thick & healthy" shoulder length hair is sooooo pretty. I'm thinking about the girl on Motions website... I love her hair
smile.gif

peachtree: you are such a beautiful woman; even though your eyes are blocked; that smile tells it all! *S* i love your hair; and what baffles me is that your regimine is so simple. i'm still trying to come up with a good regimine, but i seem to get more misses than hits. if you would, could you review what i'm doing and give me your opinion?

wash:sunday-weds.
shampoo: cream of nature
conditioner: nex humec. daily/ cholestrol bi-weekly/ nex emergency tri-weekly

moistrurizer: scurl,infusium,kemi oyl mixe together and at one with nature itchy scalp treatment
styling: braidouts.

i've just started on this regimine 2mons ago, i'm also on my 6th mon. into my perm. although i do braidouts my hair will look good for a day but will dry up even with the use of the moisturizer.
lol i hope this wasnt too long; but i'd really appreciate your feedback
TIA

Okay Peachtree...keep the good ideas coming. I see someone else has that extra long piece in the back also. I remember someone else posting about an extra long section of hair in the back. I wonder why that happens?...Anyways...although I'm natural I will have to try this...with a roller on the end because I HATE sitting under the dryer. As always your hair looks beautiful and you helpful techniques are the bomb!

i thought everyone here was aware of this ponytail method to achieve strait hair without heat?! isnt this similar to the normal ponytail method by Carolyn Gray? I normally get strit hair without heat at all...using a bun or loose ponytail. in fact airdrying straight with the hair hanging loose is still possible, just keep using your hairs to flatten the hair before it dries
grin.gif

What about the part where the ponytail holder was? You make it sound so easy, I want to try it, couple of ?'s

1) Did you pin the bun? Was it on the top or back?
2)How were you ends?
3) Did this work cause you have good hair, will i look like a chicken? LOL

OK, that was more than a couple, sorry.

Sorry, I posted my post, before I read your post, with the answers to some of the questions, I posted.
drunk.gif

Anyway, thanks for posting your technique. Ive doen the air dry pony tail, but not a bun.

And I'm still searching for a solution to the wavy ponytailholderspot.
drunk.gif

peach tree that is one niiiiiiice head of hair!!seriously i cant wait till i relax my hair (summer 04) so that i too can try all these techniques i'm learning here and best belive i have all these things written down for futeure reference
grin.gif

Back