Straight bangs with natural hairstyle?

Two different textures at once?

• Looks alright to me

Votes: 36 25.2%
  • Um....no

Votes: 107 74.8%

• Total voters

crr0121

Is it a style faux pas to wear straightened bangs when the rest of your hair is natural? Does it look weird? I'm asking out of curiosity. This is a pic from a couple years ago, right after cutting my relaxed ends off. This is just to provide an example of what I'm talking about. My natural bangs never hung or laid right and had no curl pattern, but I have a big forehead so I still wanted to use my bangs. This is not about me though, because it's my hair and "I'ma do what I want anyway" :yep: We're all individuals with different opinions. But I'm just talking about in general, does it look weird on most people? I don't see anyone else do this, so is this some unspoken hair rule, like you shouldn't wear two different hair textures at the same time? What's your opinion?:yep:

Attachments

• 6090_114116953185_509238185_2234491_1563850_n.jpg
    6090_114116953185_509238185_2234491_1563850_n.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 649
In that picture, it doesn't look bad, but imagining someone with straight bangs and a fro doesn't sound too appealing. I think it depends on the style.

NO. It looks stupid. I've seen people try and wear it a billion ways and it never looks good.

Is it a style faux pas to wear straightened bangs when the rest of your hair is natural? Does it look weird? I'm asking out of curiosity. This is a pic from a couple years ago, right after cutting my relaxed ends off. This is just to provide an example of what I'm talking about. My natural bangs never hung or laid right and had no curl pattern, but I have a big forehead so I still wanted to use my bangs. This is not about me though, because it's my hair and "I'ma do what I want anyway" :yep: We're all individuals with different opinions. But I'm just talking about in general, does it look weird on most people? I don't see anyone else do this, so is this some unspoken hair rule, like you shouldn't wear two different hair textures at the same time? What's your opinion?:yep:

Your baby boy is so cute! I had a baby boy in April 2010 also! Yay! I voted "no," but mainly because it just begs the question "Well, what are you trying to do here? That said, i have two textures on my head right now, since I'm transitioning, so, you know, I can't throw stones! LOL I can also relate to having no curly pattern, so, I say do whatcha gotta do.

Lol! Y'all are funny. I don't think her pic looks that bad since it's all pulled back. (I guess?) Lol. I understand what she is saying because I have a big forehead and the front of my hair has a weird curl pattern, but maybe you should just try twisting it? I don't know.... lol. I've never really thought of straightening just my bangs before. The yt girls at my school used to do that though, and that looked a hot mess, but I think that's just because they wore it down. When their hair was pulled back with a straight bang, it looked okay. As if they had straight hair and just curled the ponytail.
Am I trying to save a sinking ship here?

i think it looks beyond ridiculous but for someone reason it seems to be becoming quite trendy.:nono: every time i turn around i see someone with bone straight bangs and curly/kinky hair. they must not know how dumb they look.:perplexed

It looks crazy as hell to me. But since you've made it clear it's your hair, and you gon' do you - ummmm..... :look:

Southern Belle. And as I also stated, this thread isn't about ME. The pic is to provide an EXAMPLE since this is LHCF and we all know how pics are beneficial. I didn't want anyone coming in saying "well I've never seen it so..." or "well do you have a pic of an example?". The pic just happens to be of me. It could've been a pic of a random internet person, the mail man or Mike Jones' mama for all I care. The question is whether its socially acceptable or not. That's why I even stated the part about it being MY hair. To let you know I don't care about your opinion of MY hair or what I do with it. Just the style itself. The first part of your answer was what I was looking for and it will suffice. Thank you.

And ladies, thank you for your honest opinions and keepin it real. I don't take criticism personally and I like seeing others' points-of-view. Haven't done this style since then but I was just wondering if it was like when people wear thin leggings (panties showin thru and everything) with short shirts that don't cover their butts. It's just something you're "not supposed to do." I can see that it IS one of those things, lol. But trust and believe people will still do it. Oh well. That's called life.

Well since you asked...

I personally don't feel comfortable wearing two different textures like that. If you think about it, isn't that why so many spend so much time trying to match weave hair to their own texture so that it blends easily? I don't think anyone wants others to perceive certain sections of their hair as "store bought" or "obviously fake".

*shrug* If it makes you happy...

I'm a middle school teacher in a highly Latin area. A lot of the curly haired Latinas do this ( I guess to hide their curliness or perhaps simply because the hair won't lay right). I said all that to say I don't see a problem with it if the hair is pulled back off the face in a half up/down, pony, or up do. But that's just my opinion. I actually think it's kinda cute.

I'm a middle school teacher in a highly Latin area. A lot of the curly haired Latinas do this ( I guess to hide their curliness or perhaps simply because the hair won't lay right). I said all that to say I don't see a problem with it if the hair is pulled back off the face in a half up/down, pony, or up do. But that's just my opinion. I actually think it's kinda cute.

:yep: I HATE that style. They flat iron the bang to death. Just doesn't look good at all. :ohwell:

OP, how about a twist out bang? It looks more natural and you can still have your bangs. I have short pixie bangs on my natural hair and I either pin them up or twist them.

Your baby boy is so cute! I had a baby boy in April 2010 also! Yay! I voted "no," but mainly because it just begs the question "Well, what are you trying to do here? That said, i have two textures on my head right now, since I'm transitioning, so, you know, I can't throw stones! LOL I can also relate to having no curly pattern, so, I say do whatcha gotta do.

Cherokee-n-Black Thanks. And thanks for reminding me how crazy old my signature was. Finally updated it tho....And I feel you on the questioning of the goal in mind with two different textures. But hey, I didn't know so I asked. Who knows hair better than LHCF?

In that picture, it doesn't look bad, but imagining someone with straight bangs and a fro doesn't sound too appealing. I think it depends on the style.

Yeah I actually agree with you. I obviously didn't think it looked that bad since I wore it that day (Kanye shrug) but at the same time I can't picture it done with a fro either. So I see both sides of it.

But in general, everyone has individual style and some people purposely go against the grain sometimes so I can definitely agree with most of you that it's something different, unflattering (not cute) and out of the norm. Just remember, straight hair on black women at all used to be "weird looking" until enough people started doing it (plus it was the white ideal, but that's another thread all by itself). But whatever it is you do that's "different", as long as it doesn't keep you from being respected by professors, bosses, peers, SO's, family and the like, I don't see the problem (not directed at anyone). Just wanted to know if it's socially accepted, but just because something isn't, doesn't mean I won't do it. It just means I know better but don't care anyway. And see? It's already a trend with Latina's in some areas, lol. :yep: Oh well, guess I'm just "different".:grin:

:yep: I HATE that style. They flat iron the bang to death. Just doesn't look good at all. :ohwell:

OP, how about a twist out bang? It looks more natural and you can still have your bangs. I have short pixie bangs on my natural hair and I either pin them up or twist them.

Thanks but I don't have bangs anymore. They evened out with most of my hair as it grew out and I kept cutting the damage off. I don't do bangs now, straight or curly. My front and edges are usually IN my style if that makes sense. I was going through old pics, saw this, and wondered what LHCF thought of it. Not looking for current suggestions. But I think a twist out could've helped back then though, thanks.

It doesn't look bad in your pic since your hair is pulled back. But in general, it usually looks silly.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using LHCF

There is a actually a saying out out here..."Never trust a chick with a curly hair/weave with straight china bangs":look:

Chicks of "ghetto persuasion" rock that style to death out here...:lol:

I think it would look better if you twisted/out the bang...it just makes more sense...the straight bangs make you look way younger than you probably are...

Last edited:
like some of the other ladies said, its not a good look. IMO its a very childish style. I understand wanting to keep bangs but like Amoreofcurls said it would look great twisted out.

"does it look weird on most people?"

"weird" isn't the word...more like deranged, schizophrenic, hair with multiple personalities.

I just realized the fourth girl on the right in the logo at the top of this page has straight bangs with a natural style, so perhaps?

ETA I meant perhaps it's o.k. but then again, she is a cartoon. :lachen:

Last edited:
Its funny that you should post this question because this is almost the only way my 16yo daughter wears her hair. I think it looks odd but as long as she loves it and it makes her feel confident I'm all for it. My only concern that I have expressed to her is heat damage.

BTW: That style looks so cute on you!

One of my coworkers has loc'd hair but her bang is either pressed or relaxed. Everytime I see it, I get so confused.

Generally, it looks odd to me--rather dated, like the 1980s (when girls wore the curly perm and straight bangs and a ton of hairspray).

um-no.jpg

Depends on the type of hairstyle. If it's an updo straight bangs might look ok. If the hair is down the bangs might look a bit weird but it depends how straight the bangs are versus how textured the natural hair is.

One of my coworkers has loc'd hair but her bang is either pressed or relaxed. Everytime I see it, I get so confused.

Generally, it looks odd to me--rather dated, like the 1980s (when girls wore the curly perm and straight bangs and a ton of hairspray).

Now THAT sounds horrid.

Back