store bought butters?

CaraWalker

now that ive ascertained my hair doesnt like oil, im ready to move on to butters. i am looking for something a little on the heavier side (but hopefully not greasy) that can be applied after shampooing and will leave my hair soft after airdrying. im not ready to attempt making my own just yet, so store bought to see how my hair reacts first.

anyone have any recs?

now that ive ascertained my hair doesnt like oil, im ready to move on to butters. i am looking for something a little on the heavier side (but hopefully not greasy) that can be applied after shampooing and will leave my hair soft after airdrying. im not ready to attempt making my own just yet, so store bought to see how my hair reacts first. anyone have any recs?
Jane Carter's nourish and shine. It is very heavy and thick. It leaves my hair soft and shiny.
4c natural, coarse, normal to high porosity.

Dr Adorable's avocado butter. You can get it from eBay very reasonably priced and also sample sizes, (I think) 2 or 4 oz is the smallest. AND that brand has lots of other butters too. Mostly whole butters, no added ingredients.
For a mixed butter type of product: Oyin's Whipped Pudding is a *divine* shealoe.
Have you tried Shea Moisture's Curl Enhancing Smoothie? Or the Yucca Baobab Masque? (I use the latter as a styler too.)

i really dont want to end up buying all of these. is there a place i can sample them i wonder... prob not...

I think you will have to buy and test products before you find staples. Especially dealing with highly textured hair.

I'd recommend the LHCF product exchange. You may find someone who can ship to you for free/cheap. Or possibly a product swap in your area.

Aside from the obvious possibilities for contamination, I would guess that's a pretty cheap option.

If by "sample" you really meant "free," that might be harder to do, unless you buy from a vendor who gives out samples and even then you'd be spending money to get the samples.

I checked the website I recommended in my original post. You can get 2 oz of 100% pure, organic avocado butter for $5 w/ free shipping. Idk if it gets any better than that. If you got 4 different 2oz samples, it'd only set you back $20 and some days for shipping. Worst case scenario, you'll at least be able to use them for body butter (unless you have allergies, which hopefully you don't). And if you add a little essential oil, you'd be getting way more bang for your buck in terms of a moisturizer.
Here's one website:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/PURE-RAW-AV...-8-oz-12oz-Gallon-Free-Shipping-/180753122191

HTH! :-)

i really dont want to end up buying all of these. is there a place i can sample them i wonder... prob not...

Eden BodyWorks All Natural Curl Defining Creme from their Coconut Shea line. You can purchase it at Sally Beauty Supply for about $9-$10. It has a light hold but is very moisturizing. I'm not really a butter person, but I really like it. A little goes a long way.

ETA: I realize it doesn't say "butter" on the jar, but I consider it a butter b/c it's very thick. Anyway, give it a try.

SBS-649520

Water (Aqua), Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil , Vegetable Oil, Aloe Barbadensis (Aloe Vera)
Leaf Juice, Cetyl Alcohol, Stearyl Alcohol, Persea Gratissima (Avocado) Oil,
Butryospermum Parkii (Shea) Butter, Cetyl Esters, Glyceryl Dilaurate, Steareth-20,
Polyquaternium-7, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Milk, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed
Oil, Limnanthes Alba (Meadowfoam) Seed Oil, Lactobacillus/Tomato Fruit Ferment Extract,
Oryza Sativa (Rice) Extract, Keratin Amino Acids, Acyl Coenzyme A Desaturase,
Cetrimonium Chloride, Glycerin, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil, Tocopheryl
Acetate (Vitamin E), Hydrolyzed Silk, Panthenyl Hydroxypropyl Steardimonium Chloride,
Fragrance (Parfum), Dehydroacetic Acid, Benzyl Alcohol

Last edited:
Back