Stopping Roller Set Breakage....

foxieroxienyc

Ok so today I had no choice but to rollerset. It was FREEZING in the house this morning, and I had washed my hair, and an airdry/flat iron would have led to pneumonia (I thought LA was supposed to be sunny and warm all year round lol:look:).

My mom's here visiting and as to not have a huge argument about airdrying in the cold, I decided to just rollerset my hair, although my hair hates this, or so I think. But my delima is that my hair always feels much dryer after a rollerset in a weird way (even if I DC). Maybe it has to do with the fact that I'm using a soft bonnet dryer :ohwell::perplexed? Also I get so much breakage when I take down the rollers and after when I manipulate the curls. Mind you I have applied leave-ins (usually salerm 21, a little serum, and Tresemme Heat Tamer which I laced with SAA and Coconut oil).

I'm not sure what I can do to fix this breakage, or what's causing it? I use the large grey rollers. What can I do to fix this?

I had this problem for a long time until I discovered its all in the DC.
after you shampoo your hair apply conditioner mixed with olive oil and put it throughout your hair and ends ( a generous amount) go under dryer for 30 to 60 mins. Shampoo slightly just focusing on your roots 1x. and allow the olive oil you put on to stay on the ends. After you shampoo apply some conditioner a small amount on hair and comb through while u are still in the shower. Cool Rinse, then apply Chi silk infusion throughout hair and you should have a moist but bouncy rollerset result.

Good luck!

hmm. how are you manipulating your hair after the rollers come out?

when i rollerset, if i do much more than fingercomb it all into a banana clip, i'll lose hairs. i've found that the less you manipulate your hair after setting, the fewer hairs you'll lose. gently fingercombing my hair guarantees that i won't lose more than about 2 or 3 hairs per set.

but then again, when i set, i wear the curls out (i set on the purple rollers), or smoosh them all to the back of my head with a banana clip.

could be the dryer drying unevenly and/or the products that you use. I would experience the same thing with my gold and hot tabletop dryer.

Maybe the other thing[s ] besides the salerm 21 that you are using making things stick to the roller and break ends off.

also you have to be careful about not stretching the hair too much and rolling too tight. You have to find the right balance of tension and clip placement.

With the salerm 21 alone my hair falls right off the roller when I remove the clips. I can't rollerset with oil. I wait until completely dry and rub some grapeseed oil in my palms and lightly squeeze into the curls.

Just some things to think about. HTH

Hmmm, it's funny because I'm using some serious DC products now, and my hair feels amazing even after I wash it out, while rollersetting too. It's just the after that's the problem. I'm wondering too if perhaps I'm rolling too tight, but it doesn't feel as though the rollers are tight, the roots SURELY are not super straight - or really that straight at all - when I'm done. I can't really use olive oil in my wash or DC though, it leaves my hair supercoated.

hmm. how are you manipulating your hair after the rollers come out?

when i rollerset, if i do much more than fingercomb it all into a banana clip, i'll lose hairs. i've found that the less you manipulate your hair after setting, the fewer hairs you'll lose. gently fingercombing my hair guarantees that i won't lose more than about 2 or 3 hairs per set.

but then again, when i set, i wear the curls out (i set on the purple rollers), or smoosh them all to the back of my head with a banana clip.

What I try to do is just wrap it for the saran wrap thing for a straight look. When I comb out the curls I do use a wide tooth comb, so you'd think it be ok, but all I hear is snap crackle pop!

I rollerset using the Macherieamour method. But I think I may start rolling my sides down instead of up because my hair FLIPS at the ends....:look:

could be the dryer drying unevenly and/or the products that you use. I would experience the same thing with my gold and hot tabletop dryer.

Maybe the other thing[s ] besides the salerm 21 that you are using making things stick to the roller and break ends off.

also you have to be careful about not stretching the hair too much and rolling too tight. You have to find the right balance of tension and clip placement.

With the salerm 21 alone my hair falls right off the roller when I remove the clips. I can't rollerset with oil. I wait until completely dry and rub some grapeseed oil in my palms and lightly squeeze into the curls.

Just some things to think about. HTH

Yeah I've been using this for my "hooded dryer" replacement as my standing Hot Tools one had broken:

AAAAAuthIfcAAAAAALsMFw.jpg

It's great for my DC's, and even when I would set on flexirods. What I notice about this thing today is that the holes where the heat enter are at the very top along the circle, and the back where there's a vent that the air travels from the dryer.

I ALWAYS use a low heat, so I can't see it being a big issue. Maybe for rollersetting I need to use MORE leave in. I normally only use a small amount, Salerm has been a staple of mine for a long time. I think even with my regular standing hooded dryer I still had breakage from what I remember. I would like to have this as an option for styling, but at this rate I loose LESS hair when I airdry flat iron than I do trying to use heat the healthy way.:wallbash::wallbash: I'm so at loss?

Do you guys normally see NO breakage at all? And how tight exactly are you rolling your rollers?

I think it's too much product on the hair that is drying and making the hair snap. I've found the less product the better with a rollerset. I add oils or a moisturizing cream AFTER the rollerset.

I add moisturizer after I rollerset as well. I am always sure to put some serum on each section and put it all the way to the ends. I pull it to the top where its straight, but not pulling it tight. Then I roll down and secure. Its not tight on my head, but my rollers don't wiggle.

Hmmm, ok maybe I'll try the leave-in after I'm done. However, I use very little product in the first place (like a pea size to nickel size for my whole head). What I'm afraid of with this is post wash detangling may be a nightmare since I'm about 6 weeks post relaxer. :nono:

I was never able to get my rollers really tight anways, I do put them in so they're secure and don't wiggle. But they certainly aren't tight where I can feel a pull on my scalp and my roots dry straight.

I ALWAYS use a low heat, so I can't see it being a big issue. Maybe for rollersetting I need to use MORE leave in. I normally only use a small amount, Salerm has been a staple of mine for a long time. I think even with my regular standing hooded dryer I still had breakage from what I remember. I would like to have this as an option for styling, but at this rate I loose LESS hair when I airdry flat iron than I do trying to use heat the healthy way.:wallbash::wallbash: I'm so at loss?

Do you guys normally see NO breakage at all? And how tight exactly are you rolling your rollers?

From my experience those types of dryers can dry unevenly and I always ended up with fried sections closest to the hose.

I would get breakage from using setting lotion/foams, oils, creams because my hair would not dry evenly and be sticky. Removing the rollers I would see a few small broken hairs on the roller here and there, no matter how careful I was.

Now I don't get those little broken hairs because I make sure my hair dries completely. That was the best way to avoid that for me. Also setting with minimal salerm and lots of water. If you use too much salerm 21 B5 it can make your hair sticky and hard, ->broken hairs when removing rollers. Its so concentrated as you know.

I try not to pull on my hair when rolling. The end is saturated so it sticks to the roller and I just wrap the section around the roller. I don't pull and stretch on the end to roll the section (am I making sense?) I don't like the roller too tight, just tight enough to stay in place. As long as I let my hair completely dry it comes out looking like I did a perfect rollerset.

Not to be a pusher, but I firmly believe my results are due mainly to the Pibbs 's whirlwind action. I always had those little broken hairs with any other dryer.
If airdrying/flat ironing works better for you then I would just do what works best for you. The name of the game is doing what works for you to retain your growth. Sorry for the rambling, I am sleepy.

I have been using straight aloe vera gel as a setting lotion. It gives hold, moisturizes and leaves it shiny. You can get it at any health food store. I don't have much breakage (if any) with the gel.

LOL thanks guys. Yeah I'm not sure what I remember my sets being when I used my dryer. I like to rollerset from time to time, especially since my obsession with conditioning my hair is increasing as my hair gets longer (I wash/dc 2x a week, and like to have a cowash in between). For that co-wash rollersetting seems like a good alternative, but it just seems like I'm not getting the results I think I should be. Maybe I need to go back to wetting the hair more, I dont spray my hair with water as I go along anymore, mainly because I gotten better at setting and my hair is still pretty damp while doing it. But it likely needs more water, and less product. Let's see what happens.

I really want to get a Pibbs (lol my light bill is gonna go through the roof lol), budget wise right now, it's not gonna happen, looks like a loooong airdry may be in my rollersetting future.

What I try to do is just wrap it for the saran wrap thing for a straight look. When I comb out the curls I do use a wide tooth comb, so you'd think it be ok, but all I hear is snap crackle pop!

I rollerset using the Macherieamour method. But I think I may start rolling my sides down instead of up because my hair FLIPS at the ends....:look:

Yeah I've been using this for my "hooded dryer" replacement as my standing Hot Tools one had broken:

AAAAAuthIfcAAAAAALsMFw.jpg

It's great for my DC's, and even when I would set on flexirods. What I notice about this thing today is that the holes where the heat enter are at the very top along the circle, and the back where there's a vent that the air travels from the dryer.

When I roller set which is usually, and then under a soft bonnet dryer, I do not see any breakage at all...and I'm natural! I think it's even harder for me to do it than other. I do a pony set ala pocohantas. but what I do is wash, condition, rinse, then leave in some pure moisturizing (non protein conditioner). I then spray with lacio lacio (mixed with water), before pony setting (then depending if I'll flat iron or not, I'll add some moisture block. If I'm not flat ironing afterwards I won't,followed by a tiny bit of coconut oil to seal/ coconut oil is one of the only oils that penetrate to moisturize as well as seal). I don't use olive or Jojoba either. then I do a pony set.. I then remove, wrap to do the silk wrap (w/ saran). I never have a problem and my hair is really moisturized. I haven't tried salerm, but why not give lacio lacio a try? You can order it online and besides moisture block, it's my other secret weapon. I don't think a leave in is bad. But I do mix my lacio lacio with water. Way more water like 1/10th lacio to water. I put it in a spray bottle and continue to spray the hair to make sure it's saturated before I roll so that the hair can lay flat, and while drying it can soak in all the moisture. I think it's all in the products. I've tried many others suggestions and they didn't work but pocohantas did. So anyways, you may have to tweak it for you.

Last edited:
Hey Lady. Be careful with your setting lotion. I am a rollersetting queen and one of my issues has been the setting lotions that I use. I have tried over a dozen different lotions and Kera Care, which is expensive, and QP Elasta design lotion, are two of my favorites. Some of the others contain alcohol which dries the hair out. Products such as Dudleys, and Motions are just no good for me. Of course you have to test the waters in order to find out what will work well with you hair regimen.

I have the same issue with the rollersets but only when i do them myself, when i was in nyc my hair didn't break with the rollersets from the domincan salons in the bx, and harlem.

I especially would get breakage at the crown of my head, so i don't mess with rollersets at home.

I don't know what the issue is but i don't have a solution either so i just stick to my blow dryer.

Hey Roxie!

I know this is a bit of an old thread, but were you applying your leave-ins to dripping wet hair like in the rollersetting dvd? I have found for my fine, delicate strands that I have to towel-dry as much as I can, then apply my leave-in and serum and then wet the section I'm about to roll with plain water. I have found that soaking wet strands dilute and displace the conditioning/strengthening properties of the conditioners, which is not what fine strands need. As a result, the hair is overstretched and the reinforcement the hair needs is lost. For coarser hair strands, there is more room in the strands to hold water and conditioner, so beginning with dripping wet hair works for that hair type (like Macherie for example). So a strengthening leave-in can better reinforce the hair and decrease any breakage that might occur. Leave-in sprays I like are Motions Nourish and Joico Daily Care Detangler (protein and moisture in one). For cream, I like HE Break's Over or LTR. Anything lightweight with a proper balance in one product is good for this.

Does that make sense? I'm multi-tasking right now, so I may just be prattling on... :spinning: HTH :)

To OP-

I recently discovered a better way to do roller sets and prevent breakage....

The problem with rollersets is the manipulation of wet hair which is prone to breakage right?

Do rollersets on dry hair!!! :grin:

I know it sounds weird but basically I use some kind of butter or oil and roll the hair using end papers and all.

When you're done- dunk your head in the shower and make sure your head is good and wet. Now you just dry as normal.

This is absolutely true! I tried it a couple weeks ago and I had zero breakage (yes as in not one hair broken and I always wear a big white tshirt on hair day to really monitor breakage). I still wet set but for me the way to cut down on breakage is to detangle well in the shower and to air dry the sets and flat iron when I have a lot of new growth. My hooded dryer was drying my hair unevenly and I think causing breakage. When I do get breakage now post-rollerset its because I didn't detangle well beforehand (i.e. my comb/fingers should not be hitting tangles when I'm taking my rollers down)

To OP-

I recently discovered a better way to do roller sets and prevent breakage....

The problem with rollersets is the manipulation of wet hair which is prone to breakage right?

Do rollersets on dry hair!!! :grin:

I know it sounds weird but basically I use some kind of butter or oil and roll the hair using end papers and all.

When you're done- dunk your head in the shower and make sure your head is good and wet. Now you just dry as normal.

how tight are you rolling your hair also, yes it has to be taut but too taut and you will break your hair off, since the hair shrinks when it is drying, you really have to be easy with the tension. I do rollersets and I don't roll them so tight anymore and when i take the rollers out no hair except for the normal shedding.

and like poookie said just putting the curls back into a clip eliminates the styling breakage or shedding, I just do pins curls and wear it fluffy and curly til next wash.

Back