Stinky Hair

dany06

Before I joined lhcf i use to maybe wash my hair (that includes shampooes and cowashes) maybe twice a month or until the day i get my hair relaxed. During my pre-lhcf my hair only started to stink after 4 weeks of not washing. As of lately I've been washing my hair like once or twice a week and it stinks by day three of not washing. I usually shampoo my hair on Sundays and I need to co wash or something by Wednesday or my head will stink real badly. There is a bright side to this though, now that I have been washing my hair more frequently it looks shinier,i have faster hair growth, and it has stopped my oh so horrible dandruff that has plagued me for years. Does anybody else experience their hair turning rancid on them shortly after washing their hair? Maybe Im exagerating on the rancid part, but displeasant.

dany06 said:
Before I joined lhcf i use to maybe wash my hair (that includes shampooes and cowashes) maybe twice a month or until the day i get my hair relaxed. During my pre-lhcf my hair only started to stink after 4 weeks of not washing. As of lately I've been washing my hair like once or twice a week and it stinks by day three of not washing. I usually shampoo my hair on Sundays and I need to co wash or something by Wednesday or my head will stink real badly. There is a bright side to this though, now that I have been washing my hair more frequently it looks shinier,i have faster hair growth, and it has stopped my oh so horrible dandruff that has plagued me for years. Does anybody else experience their hair turning rancid on them shortly after washing their hair? Maybe Im exagerating on the rancid part, but displeasant.

What hair style are you wearing? Braids, Sew ins?? Are you letting you hair dry properly? Do you clarify?

My hair does the same thing after 3 days. I guess its gotten used to being washed more frequently. Before I came here, I was one of those girls who didnt wash my hair very often as well. Now I look back and wonder how I would go 2 wks without washing:confused:

dany06 said:

My pre LHCF days were the same as yours. Then I started shapooing once a week and then on the 4th day, I'm like yuk:perplexed Why does it smell like this. I don't know. I just shampoo it and keep it moving.

The weird thing is that my hair smells great on the 4th day since I started using the baggy method. Weird.....I know:ohwell: :look: .

It may have something to do with the air that's hitting it or a mixture of using multiple products....I dunno....I'm making myself more confused just typing this:lol: :lol:

my hair was a;ways like that even in pre LHCF days - that's why short hair cuts always worked for me and always looked healthy and pretty. Because I knew how to miantain it and wash every 2-3 days easily. Why I changed as it grew out I don't know, but it may explain why I never got past neck length. I put a lot of stuff in my hair including some of that Boo Boo - i mean Amla oil and MTG and WGHO- so yes I need to get my head under some water in like 2-3 days. But you see that it's working for you so keep doin what you doin that's all that counts.

My hair has been this way for the past 2 or 3 months. Right now Im alternating between buns and baggie method weekly. About a month ago for 3 weeks i was wearing box braids and I cowashed every other day if not daily.

I usually try to let my hair air dry but since its starting to get cool I just go ahead and use a blowdrier or sit under my hooded dryier. I just bought some keo karpin and dabur jasmin hair oil ( I know it has mineral oil:ohwell: ) but I am hoping that will kind of curb the smell until i get to washing.

Mines hasnt changed. I can go weeks without washing and still no smell. I wash more in the summer and less in the winter but either way no problems or smells :) Are you using different products or using more leave ins? I hate putting product in my hair so I think that keeps the smell down. I usually dont have build up or dandruff either...

I have been using coconut oil lately but it started smelling before then. i dont like too many products in my hair at one time although I am a pj.

dany06 said:
I have been using coconut oil lately but it started smelling before then. i dont like too many products in my hair at one time although I am a pj.
I wash my hair every two weeks and I never have a problem with stinky hair.

When i had braids i notice that also,2 or 3 days after washing my scalp would stink,and to boot i never used any products on my scalp at the time.Now i relaxed my hair,i put a light pomade(natures's blessing) mixed with a 'lil MN and essential oils(grapefriut,lime,thyme,ginger,lyang lyang).And i'm going on 2 weeks without washing and my scalp does not smell at all!!!!!!!!!

Now that its cold i'm trying not to wash my hair too often,but i gotta watch out for my eczema.

I'm wondering out loud if a clarifying shampoo would help. For the next few washes or conditioner washes, maybe follow that with a vinegar rinse. There are several posts regarding the ratios of vinegar to water. The vinegar may do the trick.

I think there are a few things that could be happpening:

1) Your nose became accostomed to the odor before you began washing regularly; and now once your hair has lost that shampoo freshness, you notice it much faster...

2) You are not letting you hair dry when bunning/updoing. When I bun wet, my hair is up during work, then I let it down for some hours at home to finish drying out. I might re-bun to get some waves.

3) The baggie method with some of those oils might make you hair stinky - or at least not fresh. I tried it once and my hair was moist but also, oh, I don't know, dank smelling?

4) Maybe your sebaceous glands are producing more than they used to . Your scalp might just be making more of it's own oil.

5) Oils themselves - can stink! WGO can, but I've found it's scent disapates and I can then smell the conditioner perfume under; I used Kimi Oil a few times and ICK!! That stuff just smelled like rotten fruit on my hair.

Good Luck!!

Back