Steamer and Plastick Cap, Why?

MrsHouston

I read in "I think the Hair Steamer Thread" that you guys are wearing plastic caps under your steamers. Who's doing this and why? I've had my hair steamd for about 3 years 1/2 years and I've always used it w/o the plastic cap. Have I been doing it wrong? Tonight I'm under my stearmer with a plastic cap to see what all the hype is...I wanted to test this for myself to see if I saw a difference. All comments are welcome on this topic...thanks.

omg, i was wondering the same thing. i thought i was the only one who was confused. when i get my hair steamed at the salon they always use the plastic cap. but when i got my home steamer, it didn't seem to work the same for me though with the plastic cap. my bf asked me the same question, why and whats the point? i tried it without it, but i had water and product running down my face and back. hopefully someone else who knows can answer, b/c i have no idea but would like to know as well.

I read in "I think the Hair Steamer Thread" that you guys are wearing plastic caps under your steamers. Who's doing this and why? I've had my hair steamd for about 3 years 1/2 years and I've always used it w/o the plastic cap. Have I been doing it wrong? Tonight I'm under my stearmer with a plastic cap to see what all the hype is...I wanted to test this for myself to see if I saw a difference. All comments are welcome on this topic...thanks.

I've never read that in any of the threads.:nono:

Most Ladies Steam w/o a cap:perplexed

What makes it different from a dryer if you have on a cap? Sounds like it's defeating the purpose of the steamer.

It makes no logical sense to steam with a plastic cap on, that's like putting lotion on your clothes:look:

You're doing everything right OP

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

It makes no logical sense to steam with a plastic cap on, that's like putting lotion on your clothes:look:

You're doing everything right OP

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF
Definitely concur on this one. The steam can't penetrate if it is being blocked by the plastic. Whoever told you this or posted this should be under a hooded dryer doing that, not a steamer. The steamer of course is the better option. ;-)

Keep that plastic cap off while steaming.

For the person that asked what is the difference btwn the two.

Well the steam is microdroplets that infuse the hair with moisture.

Wearing a cap under a dryer offers the same benefits. The heat from your own head coupled with the heat from the dryer will produce steam under the cap.

I had a steamer and got rid of it because it did nothing for me. Now occasionally I will use heat with some conditioners and I get better results.

Thanks guys...during my trial I stopped halfway through to examine my hair and nada...the cap didn't do much...so I went back to no cap and my hair was so moist afterwards. One of my 2011 goals was to steam more.

I always used to wear a cap while getting a steam treatment at the salon. I know it may not make sense but there was always a HUGE difference between sitting under and steamer with a cap and sitting under a dryer. My hair always felt so much more moisturized. When i steam at home i use a cap for hot oil treatments and use no cap for deep conditioning. I prefer it this way.:-)

I never steam at home with a plastic cap. Don't see the logic.

I know at the salon I previously went to (before my hair knowledge) the stylists would steam clients in caps.

Just got my steamer last month and use without plastic cap.

Sent from my DROIDX using Long Hair Care Forum App

I personally have seen women get down right nasty with each other and start throwing their creditials around when you start talking about whether or not to steam with a cap!! You will find just as many stylist who steam with a cap as you will who do not. Whe I first got my steamer I steamed with a cap but have since started to steam without one. I feel as if my hair is more moisturized without it.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Long Hair Care Forum App

Back