Starting over...kinda

tanyaj

Hi Ladies! I hope that everyone had a wonderful Christmas!!
I'm posting because I'm at a bit of a stand still as far as what to do with my hair! I have hypothyroidism which causes my hair to be extra dry and brittle at times. It falls off(from the roots) and breaks off as well!! So, I've had a few setbacks and it has grown quite a bit since I started my journey.

So, my solution is to start over completely!! No, I'm not cutting it off, lol!! What I mean is start my journey over completely as if I'm brand new to this. I will probably do a relaxer today. I'm 6 weeks post...yes I know that's not much time, but my hair usually starts falling out by the handful at the 6 week mark. I will try to stretch it longer, next time, but not this time.

I co-wash with either VO-5, or VS Conditioner or Garnier Masque. I do that at least once a week, sometimes 2x a week. My leave in is either Elasta QP H2 or NTM. My daily(at night before I wrap) is either Mango Butter or a little bit of NTM. My deep conditioner is mostly Cholesterol mixed with honey, olive oil, amla oil, vitamin E and coconut oil. I seal with either castor oil or coconut oil. As far as serum, I use either VS shine serum, CHI, or Biosilk.

For protective styling I sometimes do bantu knots, or braidouts or I just clip it up!! I never blow dry. I flat iron maybe 2x a month(soon to be none) and 1 of those times I only do my roots, but I do use my hot rollers. When I do flat iron I use Tresseme or any other heat protectant that I have on hand.

I'm so sorry that this is long, but I tried to include everything I could think of. Like I said, I'm going to start over as if i'm brand new to this.

Do you have any other medical issues?? Are you on medication for it (them)? If so, some of your medicines may be causing some of your hair problems. What are you taking?

My vitamin reggie is kinda iffy! I do not take them all the time, but I have biotin, msm, fish oil, flax seed oil, garlic, zinc, prenatal, vitamin B and Coconut Oil. For my thyroid, I take generic Synthroid and I have high BP, so I take Metoprolol.

Hi Ladies! I hope that everyone had a wonderful Christmas!!
I'm posting because I'm at a bit of a stand still as far as what to do with my hair! I have hypothyroidism which causes my hair to be extra dry and brittle at times. It falls off(from the roots) and breaks off as well!! So, I've had a few setbacks and it has grown quite a bit since I started my journey.

So, my solution is to start over completely!! No, I'm not cutting it off, lol!! What I mean is start my journey over completely as if I'm brand new to this. I will probably do a relaxer today. I'm 6 weeks post...yes I know that's not much time, but my hair usually starts falling out by the handful at the 6 week mark. I will try to stretch it longer, next time, but not this time.

I co-wash with either VO-5, or VS Conditioner or Garnier Masque. I do that at least once a week, sometimes 2x a week. My leave in is either Elasta QP H2 or NTM. My daily(at night before I wrap) is either Mango Butter or a little bit of NTM. My deep conditioner is mostly Cholesterol mixed with honey, olive oil, amla oil, vitamin E and coconut oil. I seal with either castor oil or coconut oil. As far as serum, I use either VS shine serum, CHI, or Biosilk.

For protective styling I sometimes do bantu knots, or braidouts or I just clip it up!! I never blow dry. I flat iron maybe 2x a month(soon to be none) and 1 of those times I only do my roots, but I do use my hot rollers. When I do flat iron I use Tresseme or any other heat protectant that I have on hand.

I'm so sorry that this is long, but I tried to include everything I could think of. Like I said, I'm going to start over as if i'm brand new to this.

My mom has hypothyroidism too. She went natural and its helped hers, when she got relaxer it would just make the hair falling out worse. I think shes like a really thin 3a. She has found that not bothering her hair (except to wash it) has helped, and she does henna a lot which helps to strengthen her already thin weak hair and she said that helps a lot. She always wears wigs, I hadnt seen her hair until yesterday when she washed it. Her hair is almost armpit length. I can ask her more information about maintaining, but shes been natural for 2 years and it as armpit length and its still curly, so I would assume that if she straightened it it would be midback.

My mom has hypothyroidism too. She went natural and its helped hers, when she got relaxer it would just make the hair falling out worse. I think shes like a really thin 3a. She has found that not bothering her hair (except to wash it) has helped, and she does henna a lot which helps to strengthen her already thin weak hair and she said that helps a lot. She always wears wigs, I hadnt seen her hair until yesterday when she washed it. Her hair is almost armpit length. I can ask her more information about maintaining, but shes been natural for 2 years and it as armpit length and its still curly, so I would assume that if she straightened it it would be midback.

Thank you very much for this. Unfortunately for me, going natural is not an option. I actually like my hair straight. I think I'm a 4b, it's actually kinda thick, which is a good thing. Usually the hypothyroidism doesn't effect my hair..usually! Because if a person is on the correct dosage of medication then their thyroid levels are normal!

I feel you on the going natural isnt an option part hahahaha, hopefully the medication helps! Your welcome :)

Back