Starting over , desperately need help**pictures**

Miak

Ive been natural my entire life, but always had my hair pressed/flat ironed every 2 weeks. About 5 years ago i decided not to anymore and found this site. To say the least it was very overwhelming, so many tips, ideas products etc. As time went on, i settled into a nice reggie and things went smoothly, Then i got tired of waiting for my products in the mail, 3 sometimes 4 weeks, product formulas changing, etc. Last year i got back into braids and weaves, after having either or i finally removed about 2 months ago and am at a total lost as what to do with my hair. Its different lengths, APL on the sides and approaching BSL in the back. Id love to get more into protective styles but short of a bun thats it. I cant cornrow, or flat twist. I two strand twist at night but never know what ill wake up with in the am... my hair doesnt seem to hold them. Right now i wash and condition with organix macadamia oil line. I was using a daily moisture spritz of water and aloe vera juice and my hair started shedding like mad. Now i used water/conditioner mixture and the shedding is slowing down. Ive tried eco styler gel/shea moisture curling smoothie which works well when my hair is styled wet but just seems so dry the next day. If anyone could offer assistance i would greatly appreciate it, id hate to go back to constant weaves/braids or worse yet cut it all off and be in worse shape. I also hate the triangle look due to bangs i had cut in Feb.

thank you

I attached pictures,
1st... is wet styling then air dried with shea moisture curl smoothie and eco styler

2nd... how i sleep with my hair at night

3rd. when i untwist...

last is combed out.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    101 KB · Views: 214
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    115.3 KB · Views: 193
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    92.5 KB · Views: 192
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    39.7 KB · Views: 178
click here the next time you have $65. reeeaaaally helpful.
i'm just gonna go throught all the "i need help threads" and post this, lol

Naptural85 on youtube is great for styling tutorials. Maybe you need to try different products to get lasting moisture. If I use Ecostyler gel my hair will feel dry the next day. For a soft hold over multiple days, I don't add gel. If you like the Curl Enhancing Smoothie, try the Curl and style milk underneath for more moisture. I like it more than the smoothie.
I have a longer review on my blog here.

You have pretty hair. I think your hair texture would do well with a braid n' curl. You can search YouTube for tutorials. I'm still looking for good products so no suggestions there.

I 2nd that naputal85 has sum really great hair tips and styles. Have u tried a braid out. Those r my fav protective style.

No not yet, do you find they work better done on wet or dry hair?

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Bumping for more help!

I really wish I could add anything. I usually wear my hair in twist or braids. Wish I had the patience for out styles. :sad:

Maybe because it can be pinned up? Or it's a setting style that can just be rebraided at night

Anavrin said:
Sorry for the random question but how is a braidout a PS?

It's a low manip style but I wouldn't call it protective.

Sent from my HTC EVO using LHCF. any spelling errors should be blamed on auto-correct.

Are you using any oils to seal in moisture after you deep condition or any hot oil treatments? I think that will help you with manipulation and style control. I don't think anything can replace oils. Olive oil is great start out with and easy to get if you don't have any oils handy.

NIN4eva said:
Are you using any oils to seal in moisture after you deep condition or any hot oil treatments? I think that will help you with manipulation and style control. I don't think anything can replace oils. Olive oil is great start out with and easy to get if you don't have any oils handy.

I tried a styling oil from organix last night, everything felt great and then I woke up this morning and it was like straw. :-(

I'm just so frustrated . I don't have the time to re wash and try again, I'm working 12 hours shifts daily until Friday. I'm also thinking I haven't had my ends clipped in over 3 years and that's what's causing the tangles and dry hair past a certain point. Maybe I should just get it all cut off up to my shoulders and try again. Or find a local braided to my area that could braid my own hair after the cut.

Miak said:
I'm just so frustrated . I don't have the time to re wash and try again, I'm working 12 hours shifts daily until Friday. I'm also thinking I haven't had my ends clipped in over 3 years and that's what's causing the tangles and dry hair past a certain point. Maybe I should just get it all cut off up to my shoulders and try again. Or find a local braided to my area that could braid my own hair after the cut.

You should definitely get a trim and start from scratch. It might be the split ends causing your hair to feel stiff. I think your hair is very pretty. Don't let your stylist cut too much off.

Go buy a jar of coconut oil. You can buy it at Walmart, Target, Whole Foods, GNC or the Vitamin Shoppe. Add some coconut oil to your deep conditioner to add some moisture. You could also use it by itself as an oil treatment. Apply it to your hair and leave it on for an hour before rinsing.

I'm currently using Beautiful Tresses butter ($7.99 at Sally's) and it leaves my hair moisturized and makes my curls look nice. I only do black gel in the front and limit its use because it has protein and could eventually make my hair feeling dry.

Do you do any straight styles? I rollerset my hair and put it up in a ponytail. Sometimes buns are too boring for me, but ponytails give me the change to see the length but it is still up and not rubbing up against my clothes. Rollersets allows me to take a break from constant manipulation. Stretched styles helps me retain length too.

Last edited:
BostonMaria said:
You should definitely get a trim and start from scratch. It might be the split ends causing your hair to feel stiff. I think your hair is very pretty. Don't let your stylist cut too much off.

Go buy a jar of coconut oil. You can buy it at Walmart, Target, Whole Foods, GNC or the Vitamin Shoppe. Add some coconut oil to your deep conditioner to add some moisture. You could also use it by itself as an oil treatment. Apply it to your hair and leave it on for an hour before rinsing.

I'm currently using Beautiful Tresses butter ($7.99 at Sally's) and it leaves my hair moisturized and makes my curls look nice. I only do black gel in the front and limit its use because it has protein and could eventually make my hair feeling dry.

Do you do any straight styles? I rollerset my hair and put it up in a ponytail. Sometimes buns are too boring for me, but ponytails give me the change to see the length but it is still up and not rubbing up against my clothes. Rollersets allows me to take a break from constant manipulation. Stretched styles helps me retain length too.

Straight styles , no not since my weave removal. Roller setting didn't seem to work for me. Lol and I hate the way my hair looks in a pony tail. Stretched styles? Ive never done. ..

I wonder If I'm on Protein overload?...all my products have similar ingredients , the organix macadamia oil line, Shea moisture curl smoothie and carols daughter marguerites magic.

I tried a styling oil from organix last night, everything felt great and then I woke up this morning and it was like straw. :-(

I think she means a natural oil and not an oil product. EVOO, Coconut Oil, Grapeseed oil, Sesame Seed Oil and the like that can be found in the cooking aisle. IA, that the oil products will leave your hair feeling..different. LoL

MzSwift said:
I think she means a natural oil and not an oil product. EVOO, Coconut Oil, Grapeseed oil, Sesame Seed Oil and the like that can be found in the cooking aisle. IA, that the oil products will leave your hair feeling..different. LoL

Oh duh right?! Lol I have large bottles of evoo I use for cooking, I'll try it.

Again thank you ladies for all your suggestions thus far.

Back