Squandered Trust Fund

Hopefully this is a lesson she only needs to learn once.

If she insisted on telling her siblings about buying a house, she didn’t have to share the money was coming from the trust. If she’s working it is possible she saved up for it. That said, they likely would’ve poked until they learned and/or assumed anyway, so i agree with all who said she should’ve kept her cards given that she should know at least one of her siblings are entitled. This isn’t the first time any of this happened.

I only speak to one cousin on the regular. I mentioned I was buying a house and the first thing out of her mouth was hurry up so I can ask you to cosign on my car... I was on the other end of the phone rolling my eyes.

This from the woman who father left her a hefty amount of money from his insurance when he passed. She bought a house and then lost it after using some of the money for a down payment.

Based on her age and what she wrote, it seems she watched her siblings and learned their lessons. Made practical decisions and decided to secure herself. She's young, so hindsight isnt 20/20 yet. Her siblings noticed her decisions and saw the life she was living, so they arent blind. They just probably thought she was working too hard. Whether she told them she still had money or she just moved in silence, her siblings would have still been triggered. It just so happened to occur sooner than later. Her sister will need a helping hand soon and will try to move into that house, sob story and all :laugh: she is not done.

You know on second thought, she probably was flexing on her siblings, She finished college and a graduate program —they didn’t. She got money-they don’t. I say yeah flex. They were probably showing off when they had the fancy apartments.

Are yall saying that she's naive because: she told her siblings that she was buying a house by using some of her inheritance?
They are saying she is naive because she might have been ignorant of the fact people she has known all of her life would not be happy about her achievements and about the reaction she got. I see folks don’t give 25 year olds that can work, save, finish school, & buy a house much credit when it comes to having some discernment about people they were raised with. Her siblings aren’t strangers. She knew what she was doing when she told them.

By the time you are 25, you know better than to tell your spoiled, entitled sibling you still got Halloween candy left from Trick or Treating.

Based on her age and what she wrote, it seems she watched her siblings and learned their lessons. Made practical decisions and decided to secure herself. She's young, so hindsight isnt 20/20 yet. Her siblings noticed her decisions and saw the life she was living, so they arent blind. They just probably thought she was working too hard. Whether she told them she still had money or she just moved in silence, her siblings would have still been triggered. It just so happened to occur sooner than later. Her sister will need a helping hand soon and will try to move into that house, sob story and all :laugh: she is not done.
:yep: They would’ve been triggered regardless. Big sis better not try to move in!! If she does the younger seems to have good boundaries in place so she’s gonna be able to handle the guilt trip she’s sure to be sent on.

She is 25 years old, with a masters degree, and I’m assuming, gainful employment. There was no reason to tell the siblings that she was using her trust money to buy her house. I feel she was trying to rub it in their faces that she still had money, while they, in her opinion, squandered theirs. She was looking for drama, just not as much as she got. lol

Big sis is insane for expecting her to give up the remainder of her trust, cause she has kids.

Hmm yeah.

I have a feeling she was dealing with bs comments from them for a while and she finally had her lil "I told you so" moment. Petty is never right, but depending on their exact circumstances I may be able to at least understand it :look: Tip toeing around certain people while they get to say whatever they want to you gets old.

If ya gonna go that route though you have to say it with your chest and firm it.

tenor.gif

:yep: They would’ve been triggered regardless. Big sis better not try to move in!! If she does the younger seems to have good boundaries in place so she’s gonna be able to handle the guilt trip she’s sure to be sent on.
I read a story of a girl whose mom used her college fund to give to her older sister, she squandered it and left the girl to basically fend for herself. Fast forward, and she graduated and was financially well off. She bought a house and the sister thought she should let her live there and she move out. The mom agreed. They told her she was selfish for not doing so. These stories are disturbing at times.

Well, whether she was naive or messy, she learned her lesson. You don't tell broke people or people who mismanage their money, what you plan on doing with your funds. Either they won't understand why you're doing it or they will be jealous and look for ways to undermine you or get in on your plan.
I learned this from my aunt who’s “lived” at the ripe age of 21.

Lived = that one aunt whose done and been everything but straight.

I read a story of a girl whose mom used her college fund to give to her older sister, she squandered it and left the girl to basically fend for herself. Fast forward, and she graduated and was financially well off. She bought a house and the sister thought she should let her live there and she move out. The mom agreed. They told her she was selfish for not doing so. These stories are disturbing at times.
A6AF5F3A-0F4E-4866-8DF8-92EDA1A613C6.gif

She should just stay clear for a while until THEY calm down. Or not. People act out of hand over ”dead lef”. My friend’s half siblings were furious with her after her father left her a sizeable amount. She had already received her cut from her mother and stepfather‘s estate. So they felt a way when her bio father left her everything and it was sizeable. She felt bad but I had to remind her that she deserved it. She was his child and it was his way of appeasing his own guilt for being an absentee father. I don’t know what they expected her to do, her siblings were not his relations.

Another friend of mine received her inheritance at 21 (her upper middle class father committed suicide when she was a kid but left them well off). Her boyfriend swindled her out of all of it by using it to set up the career of a well known uk singer. He then left her, she committed suicide. I think people should keep their financial status private as much as possible. People turn into jealous vultures when they realize you have more than they do.

I agree.

This is that mid-20s arrogance when you don't know much about life, but think that you do. So yes she is still naive regarding life matters.

I don't think that she told them about the house out of malice though. Just sharing exciting news with her family, probably even more so bc both parents are no longer here.

That is what I was thinking, I didn't get malice or arrogance. However I am older now and see how easily her intentions can be misconstrued. She was niave and didn't properly read the room.

Yeah. there are some wild stories on that site- stories about people who aren't blood relations who want a piece of your inheritance, people who feel entitled to share in what you have worked so hard for, etc. And there are always people on there agreeing 'cause it's FaMiLy'..

I don't think that she was being boastful, just stating facts. It sounds like these children were given a lump sum of money without any guidelines or many rules. It was probably the most money that they had ever seen and two of them began to spend it without hesitation. Like many, they either didn't care or were unaware of how much money they were spending until it ran out (Even the largest trust fund will run out in the face of unchecked spending). One of the children behaved as if she didn't have a trust find (although she probably knew that she could rely on it if pressed). It is not her fault that her siblings were so reckless with their money and no, she doesn't owe her siblings (or their children) any of the rest of her trust fund. She should block her 'family' and move on.

Back