SPLITS

the best thing is to trim the splits so that they dont travel further up the strand...and i find that i get the least splits when i detangle gently (the tangle teezer gave me horrible midshaft splits last yr) , don't use alot of heat, keep my hair relatively stretched (twist/braidouts) & seal the ends with a heavy oil or pomade after moisturizing.

Midshaft splits along with split ends? Sounds like a lot of heat styling. I agree with what @iri9109 said but I would add that you should deep condition with a moisturizing conditioner that contains proteins. I know when I had tons of splits along the shaft to ends, it was because my hair was dried out due to heat. What will also help nourish the hair is sealing the conditioner with an oil on top. I'd recommend EVOO in your case, it's very nourishing. You can also use grapeseed oil.

ETA: I say this but it only worked for me when I airdried my hair and only used heat at the hairdresser 3-4x/year. You can also add pre-pooing to your regimen and leave whatever treatment or deep conditioner you choose for at least 30 minutes before heading into the shower and washing your hair. It's good because the conditioner will kind of act as a barrier against the shampoo totally stripping your hair.

Last edited:
Midshaft split can often come from the tools your using

Aggressive brushing combing detangling using seamed combs etc

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

thanks @Aireen but i barely use heat i straightened my hair for the first time a couple weeks ago

Even though you've only used heat once, unfortunately that's all it takes to damage your hair.

This has happened to me too. You will have to begin babying your hair (conditioning, moisturizing) and gradually trimming your hair. In situations like this, your ends will tell you when you need to trim. They will start feeling rough and looking very uneven.

Good luck doll!

I finger detangle, seal my ends with a heavy oil or butter, and I trim every three months. When it's time to deep condition, I add extra to my ends just in case.

Back