Spiral sets and the like on natural hair

Harina

Has anyone with natural hair (especially in the 4's) gotten a service like flexi rods, spiral sets, or straw sets done at a salon?

If so, do they typically blow the hair out before setting it? And how long does something like that last for you? If you have pics of yourself or other people with styles in this family, please post!

I just realized this is one of the few styles I've never gotten done and would like to do it this weekend!

I haven't gotten it curl sets done on my natural hair at a salon, but I Rollerset regularly.

To me a blow out followed by rollers seems more so for temporary volume/shape as opposed to a set. You need to set went to truly mold your hair into a patter (curl) that will last for days-a week. You may also want to check out the setting to success thread

I haven't gotten it curl sets done on my natural hair at a salon, but I Rollerset regularly.

To me a blow out followed by rollers seems more so for temporary volume/shape as opposed to a set. You need to set went to truly mold your hair into a patter (curl) that will last for days-a week. You may also want to check out the setting to success thread

Thank you I did not realize that about the wet setting. Makes sense.

And when you say you roller set regularly, you do it yourself or do you mean at a salon?

Thank you I did not realize that about the wet setting. Makes sense.

And when you say you roller set regularly, you do it yourself or do you mean at a salon?

I set weekly at home. I haveny done a flexi rod set, though. lulu97 has and they are lovely. You may try her for info. Her post in the setting to success thread have some my envy inducing pictures

Hey Lady. I've never had sets outside of magnetic roller sets done at the salon. I adore flexi rod sets and do them at home. I only visit the salon when I wear my hair pressed straight.

I've done flexi sets on dry hair and wet hair and I can tell you that hands down wet sets win all day. Dry sets last maybe 1 or 2 days tops but I can get wet sets to last up to 2 weeks. Wet sets also look better. They have more volume and look fuller. I'll include pics in the next 2 posts for comparison as I'm posting from my phone.

Flexi rod set done at the salon (beauty school actually) on wet natural hair. I have no patience to do it at home lol

image-63417565.jpg

image-1631946387.jpg

Wet flexi rod sets:

Omg!!! I neeeeed these results lulu97. Do you use setting lotion? How many rods do you use? And what color? These sets are gorgeous! And I love your hair color. Do you have any pics of what your hair looks like prior to applying the rods?

Sorry for question bombarding :kiss:

Omg!!! I neeeeed these results lulu97. Do you use setting lotion? How many rods do you use? And what color? These sets are gorgeous! And I love your hair color. Do you have any pics of what your hair looks like prior to applying the rods? Sorry for question bombarding :kiss:

MamitaLolita

Hey Lady! Thank you for the compliments!

Sometimes I just use a leave in to set (Giovanni Direct) & sometimes I add Nairobi wrap foam on top of the leave in...just depends on my mood. lol

I use anywhere between 25-40 flexi's...it depends on how long I feel like sitting under the dryer. The less flexi rods equal longer drying time. They all give me the same end result though. I have layers in my crown area, so I use grey rods there and purple everywhere else. I don't have pictures of what my hair looks like prior to rolling, but I usually section my hair in 8-10 sections then roll. I do have a picture of after the rollers are all in which I'll attach. HTH

Last edited:
If I ever want to do a spiral set I prefer to use curlformers (fake ones..:giggle:) on soaking wet hair with a little leavin light oil, gives me the best results. Small sections, detangled, about 80 or so curlformers and I let it air dry overnight. :yep:

Thanks for the pics to the posters above and bump! I will not get a chance to do it this weekend but maybe next.

This is my hair in a wash and go
ForumRunner_20140913_144420.jpg

Excuse all the faces these are various spiral sets with different sizes

ForumRunner_20140913_144437.jpg

this was wet hair stretched with curlformers and re rolled once dry on flexirods

ForumRunner_20140913_144501.jpg

small spiral rods in the front and coil out in the back

ForumRunner_20140913_144510.jpg

orange and blue flexirods on heat trained hair(mostly the ends)

ForumRunner_20140913_144547.jpg
Orange and blue flexirods on virgin hair

Oh and these were all done by me. The salons don't ever get my hair smooth

Last edited:
Back