Soooo my hair is mad at me..... :/

delitefulmane

I am sick of my hair!! I know everyone feels this way at sometime so I guess now is that time for me. It feels dry even though I deep condition it and it has like a million knots, like to many to cut away. I want to get spring twists to give it a break BUT my edges are already weak & dry.

WHAT SHOULD I DO? SHOULD I GET SPRING TWISTS TO EASE MY FRUSTRATION ANS STRESS (even though my edges might take a blow)?

Do you ladies who get braids/ twists extensions use an african braider? If so, how do you prevent them from braiding super tight? :wallbash:

Imo, your hair(well ends) will not feel soft until you get rid of those ssks. Do a trim and then see how your hair feels. I've never heard of those twists before. When I get to my laptop, I want to check those out.

Sent from my iPhone using the LHCF App

In defense of my fellow Africans (Igbos...kwenu!), African braiders don't have the market cornered on tight braiding :perplexed American braiders can be just as heavy handed....

My Auntie Ngozi will *** up some edges though....:lol:

Last edited:
Bride91501,
No offense to African braiders, however, this lady is my mom's friend (African) and she braids tight! I have been to African braiders in the past and they have ALL braided tightly even when I asked them not too. Their response " If I don't braid it tight, the style won't come out right" :rolleyes:

Your first task should be to get rid of those terrible acting ends, they are only gonna tear out and stretch out the hair they are entangled with. I would re-assess once that is done. SSk's are what sent me back to relaxers.

^^ But the fact that they are at different lengths on my hair shaft, it seems like doing a S&D would do more harm than good.
Im natural so when should I trim my hair? I haven't figured that out...wet or dry? damp? idk!

Does any one also have any advice on whether I should get the spring twists or not?

I wouldn't get spring twists if my edges were fragile. After trimming my hair (I do it on twisted hair), I would wear a protective style and baby my ends.

How often are you deep conditioning? With what products? When was your last trim? How do you style your hair normally?

If we can tackle the dry hair issue, we can avoid many of the knotting issues you are having.

^^ But the fact that they are at different lengths on my hair shaft, it seems like doing a S&D would do more harm than good.
Im natural so when should I trim my hair? I haven't figured that out...wet or dry? damp? idk!

Does any one also have any advice on whether I should get the spring twists or not?

NOT. Emphatically not. i think you already know this. and you also knw that you'll get it braided it will look nice and shortly after when you take down your braids you'll be taking out your edges along w/ it.

just don't do it. not worth it. be patient. it will work out.

focus on eliminating dryness. hopefully others will continue to chime in w/ advice on addressing your dryness.

I wouldn't get spring twists if my edges were fragile. After trimming my hair (I do it on twisted hair), I would wear a protective style and baby my ends.

How often are you deep conditioning? With what products? When was your last trim? How do you style your hair normally?

If we can tackle the dry hair issue, we can avoid many of the knotting issues you are having.

I don't think I deep condition enough! But when it already takes me like a day to do my hair, I don't feel like takin another 15-30mins just sitting and deep conditioning. I had my last trim when I got my hair straightened like a few months ago. I don't plan on straigthening my hair any time soon so I don't know when or how I should trim it. :wallbash:

I don't think I deep condition enough! But when it already takes me like a day to do my hair, I don't feel like takin another 15-30mins just sitting and deep conditioning. I had my last trim when I got my hair straightened like a few months ago. I don't plan on straigthening my hair any time soon so I don't know when or how I should trim it. :wallbash:

I think it could be worth it for you to set aside DC time. It could make the difference between dealing w/SSKs, dryness, etc. versus not having that problem. You said it takes you a day to do your hair... maybe you can find something to do during the 15-30 min it would take to deep condition your hair on one of those days? Maybe give yourself a manicure, surf the web, catch up on a TV show? These are all things I have done while DC'ing. I DC every other week.

Not sure what your schedule looks like but maybe those things could help?

If you are getting a LOT of SSKs, what are you doing to reduce hair friction? Also, are you moisturizing those ends at least every other night?

I know when its time for me to either get a trim or get back on the moisturize those ends trail....SSKs are a symptom!

E -
Bride91501,
No offense to African braiders, however, this lady is my mom's friend (African) and she braids tight! I have been to African braiders in the past and they have ALL braided tightly even when I asked them not too. Their response " If I don't braid it tight, the style won't come out right" :rolleyes:

I was mostly joking around (as evidenced by the very true statement about my dear auntie lol), but I agree with nzeee - braids should be the last thing on your mind at this point.

IMO, PSs such as braids and weaves should only be done on hair that is healthy and free of major issues. You have to address your dryness and SSKs issues first- I don't have much experience with the latter, but it sounds like they're probably interrelated.

Back