Soooo, I Just Had A Huge Setback

BranwenRosewood

but I'm okay with it.

In April 2012 I bleached my hair twice in the same week. Then I put a black dye on top of that in August. I was natural then and everyone was surprised that I didn't lose all my hair. Today I decided to relax my hair because didn't feel like being natural anymore. As I was doing the protein before neutralizing, I noticed long strands of hair coming out every time I ran my fingers through my hair. I have about 3 inches of growth that's not colored and the breakage started right below that point. I thought I might stop after my hair was dc'd and dried but it didn't, it got worse. When I actually stopped and looked to see where the most hair was coming from, I noticed a good chunk in the front on the left hand side was way shorter than the rest. I decided to cut my losses and chop all of the colored hair off. I haven't had hair this short since I was born, but I'm not worried about it.

I'm going to stay relaxed and do my best to take care of the hair I have. I'm going to install a set of poetic justice braids in a few weeks and probably keep them in for two months. At least I can use all those scarves I bought (they wouldn't work with my SL natural hair). I've attached a picture of what my hair looks like now (the cut is uneven and I'll fix it when I flatiron). I don't have a before because it's stuck on my camera but I was almost full SL until last week where I cut my hair to 2 inches above SL. I'm glad all of that damaged hair is off my head because I had a serious problem with split ends.

I have to create a new regimen some I'm going to be stalking the SL Challenges. I know I'm going to be taking biotin (I get an inch a month from 5,000 mcg) but I don't know what other growth aids I'll try.

photo(2).JPG

oh no :( @RavenSR

i'm very sorry girlie. i'm nervous about you doing braids with that breakage could you wig it for a lil while and stay on top of your protein/moisture/ceramide levels?

ETA: i see you cut the color off but you just relaxed, could you wait 2-3 months before getting the braids? i get nervous about freshly processed hair and installing braids or weave cause its usually fragile.

Last edited:
Sometimes getting rid of the damage the way you did works better in the long run (in life and in hair)... Short styles are really trendy right now. Good luck Mama!!!

oh no :( @RavenSR

i'm very sorry girlie. i'm nervous about you doing braids with that breakage could you wig it for a lil while and stay on top of your protein/moisture/ceramide levels?

ETA: i see you cut the color off but you just relaxed, could you wait 2-3 months before getting the braids? i get nervous about freshly processed hair and installing braids or weave cause its usually fragile.

I'm not gonna do braids just yet. I haven't researched the recommended wait time between getting a relaxer and installing braids but I'm gonna until I'm out of the danger zone. I wanna do everything right this time around.

I don't own a wig:sad: but I'll probably but one at the end of the month.

Sometimes getting rid of the damage the way you did works better in the long run (in life and in hair)... Short styles are really trendy right now. Good luck Mama!!!

Thanks. I could see that leaving that colored hair on would not be a good idea. My ultimate goal is terminal and I'm gonna be kinda mad if I end up loving short hair.

It will grow in strong and healthy before you know it!!! Wigs are fun to play around with for different looks. Various threads are floating about for wigs and haircare for maximum retention so do a search.

I'm not gonna do braids just yet. I haven't researched the recommended wait time between getting a relaxer and installing braids but I'm gonna until I'm out of the danger zone. I wanna do everything right this time around.

I don't own a wig:sad: but I'll probably but one at the end of the month.

So sorry to hear about your setback, I know I would have been devastated if that happened to me. Your hair will be stronger and healthier this time around. You have a positive attitude looking forward and I hope you lock down a new regimen soon. I would probably wait 2 - 4 weeks to do the braids, I also think that wigs are great for PSing.

Sorry yo hear that, it's good to see you have a positive attitude about it.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Whoo Whoo Whoo!
Sorry that happened. You have the right attitude tho! Happy and healthy growing!

So sorry to hear about your setback, I know I would have been devastated if that happened to me. Your hair will be stronger and healthier this time around. You have a positive attitude looking forward and I hope you lock down a new regimen soon. I would probably wait 2 - 4 weeks to do the braids, I also think that wigs are great for PSing.

Aww I'm sorry to hear that OP! You will grow out again as healthy as ever I'm sure.

Sorry yo hear that, it's good to see you have a positive attitude about it.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Whoo Whoo Whoo!
Sorry that happened. You have the right attitude tho! Happy and healthy growing!

Thanks .....

I'm sorry that happened to you. You definitely have the right attitude and I'm sure your recovery will be fast! Good luck on your new relaxed hair journey! :)

Wow, this is exactly how my hair started falling after my perm in 3 yrs. like long full pieces not strands, was falling out as I ran my fingers through my hair during the washing out of the relaxer .

I recently had my hair cut into a short bob a few days ago and was still feeling a bit remorseful up until reading this post. Before I had it cut, I had your same mentality- it's only hair, it'll grow back, even better this time. My hair wasn't falling out but after frequent Dominican salon visits (one of which consisted of a trim that ultimately left my hair growing in funny) I felt fed up with the shape of my hair, the rate it was growing, and the unsatisfactory ends. I went to a salon in Manhattan and had them chop it into a bob up to my chin and that was Thursday. I've been feeling self conscious since that cut, but your post reminded me that its just hair, it'll grow back, and even better this time around. I'm also going to do my hair right this time (less salon visits... At the rate I was going, my hair should've flourished, and the fact that it didn't is such a red flag).

Wow, this is exactly how my hair started falling after my perm in 3 yrs. like long full pieces not strands, was falling out as I ran my fingers through my hair during the washing out of the relaxer .

Yup. Strands were coming out as I washed the neutralizer out and when I was coming the dc through.

I recently had my hair cut into a short bob a few days ago and was still feeling a bit remorseful up until reading this post. Before I had it cut, I had your same mentality- it's only hair, it'll grow back, even better this time. My hair wasn't falling out but after frequent Dominican salon visits (one of which consisted of a trim that ultimately left my hair growing in funny) I felt fed up with the shape of my hair, the rate it was growing, and the unsatisfactory ends. I went to a salon in Manhattan and had them chop it into a bob up to my chin and that was Thursday. I've been feeling self conscious since that cut, but your post reminded me that its just hair, it'll grow back, and even better this time around. I'm also going to do my hair right this time (less salon visits... At the rate I was going, my hair should've flourished, and the fact that it didn't is such a red flag).

I did feel a little self-conscious because I've never had hair that short before but I got over it and now I'm trying to learn some new styles. Our hair is gonna grow back better than ever!

I just experienced the same setback a month ago and I wish I would've had your reaction/attitude. Coodles to you on your optimistic outlook! I wish you much success in the future.

Sorry this happened to you and I know the feeling. Same thing happened to me late 2009, I chopped it off and wore box braids for 2 years and 6 months then relaxed it. It grew some but certain areas did not grow in as anticipated so now I've decided to textlax. I'm using Phytorelaxer Index I instead of 2 for textlaxing. It doesn't get it as straight and I need to flatiron in order for it to get very straight but it looks a bit fuller so I' ll continue textlaxing until my hair says something else.

Back