Sometimes you have to do it..

Tamrin

unapologetic
I know all of are on LHCF to get that healthy long hair. Sometimes we are so obsessed with length that we forget health. I have been here since 2005 and for 2 years I mostly lurked. I have used countless products, and last year I made it 1 + inch past APL. I was jumping for joy. Then I realized that it should have been longer. I realized my hair broke a lot in those years, because I have never trimmed or cut my hair in 2.5 years.

When I started here I had color in my hair. Now I have none. Its because it broke off, all of it. So last week I'm laying in bed, I took a hand full of my hair and looked at it in the sunlight. Behold my hair was split ends central. I DC and moisturize every day like crazy. I started to S&D ( search and destroy split end). After 20 minutes of that, I grabbed the sheers and cut 3 inches off my hair. I'm now 1.5 inch above APL but happy my split ends are gone and my hair is thicker and happier.

Last edited:
I feel you girl. The famous phrase "What works for some doesn't work for all" Some people can go a very long time without trimming...I think I'm one of those who must trim every 2-3 mos. I'm glad your happy with the new health of your hair..it will be back to APL in no time! :yep:

I feel you girl. The famous phrase "What works for some doesn't work for all" Some people can go a very long time without trimming...I think I'm one of those who must trim every 2-3 mos. I'm glad your happy with the new health of your hair..it will be back to APL in no time! :yep:

Thank you. I know it will. I just love how thick and healthy my hair feels and looks. I'm glad those light thin ends are gone. See through brown ends was not a good look.

Yup, Ive been there before...I cut off about 2-3 inches last month, went from apl to cbl, but I was happy with my ends.

Yup, Ive been there before...I cut off about 2-3 inches last month, went from apl to cbl, but I was happy with my ends.

I realized I was claiming APL but my ends were really bad. My strands were looking like tree branches. On top of it my hair hates heat. Even though I have flat ironed and did a Dominican blow out a a few times and I can still count on less than 10 in 2 years. Each times (I used heat protectant) it damaged it even worse.

Good for you and I definitely agree, health trumps length! When hair is in optimal health, ends included, the length WILL come.

Congrats on your cut, enjoy those ends! It makes things so much easier!!

ETA: looking @ your avatar, I couldn't resist, I mean since it's there and everything...sak pase :grin:

Last edited:
I just don't have hair that can go months and months without a trim. Nice looking ends are very important to me. I recently trimmed and my ends look great.

Komun ou ye! :grin: We speak it here too in New Orleans.

I totally agree with you about knowing when to trim. About a week ago, I saw my ends and just knew I needed a trim. I did it all by myself and I was so pleased with how my hair looked. The best part was that I didn't have to trim more than an inch. All I did was curl my hair with a flat iron and trimmed whatever looked nasty.

I don't trim but good for you! Best to get rid of the split ends since you felt they were holding you back.

I concur. Right now, I have highlights and color, and I have had my relaxer pulled through to the ends on about 3 times, since I have had the color and highlights [my hair is really curly, and I thought I would be happy with it finally straight, but the price wasn't worth it :( ]. I now have splits even though about 3 weeks ago I got a decent trim/cut.

I feel you on the cutting vs. long hair with bad ends, but what about when you cut and you still see the splits?

This is why I wind up cutting off my hair every two or so years and starting over, but I sooo don't want to do that. Great threat btw.

Last edited:
I don't trim but good for you! Best to get rid of the split ends since you felt they were holding you back.

I dont either. i really really tried, but it just didnt work out. i used to trim every 3 months but my hair got shorter and shorter so i stopped. Last time i trimmed was December 07 - it was a small trim (hardly noticeable to me at the time) but when i looked back at my progress pics i see it took me from then till THIS MONTH (march 09) to to gain back the little bit i trimmed. I am too much of a slower grower to trim consistently. so for me, i DO have to choose between blunt ends/health and length - so far have not been able to have both so i've resorted to doing s & d. When i reach waist or tailbone i will start trimming again. that is my plan.
i do remember how thick and wonderful my ends felt after a trim, so congrats - im glad your happy. it just wasnt the way to go for me.

I know all of are on LHCF to get that healthy long hair. Sometimes we are so obsessed with length that we forget health. I have been here since 2005 and for 2 years I mostly lurked. I have used countless products, and last year I made it 1 + inch past APL. I was jumping for joy. Then I realized that it should have been longer. I realized my hair broke a lot in those years, because I have never trimmed or cut my hair in 2.5 years.

When I started here I had color in my hair. Now I have none. Its because it broke off, all of it. So last week I'm laying in bed, I took a hand full of my hair and looked at it in the sunlight. Behold my hair was split ends central. I DC and moisturize every day like crazy. I started to S&D ( search and destroy split end). After 20 minutes of that, I grabbed the sheers and cut 3 inches off my hair. I'm now 1.5 inch above APL but happy my split ends are gone and my hair is thicker and happier.

Not PinkSkates! I always focus on Health Before Length. I mentor quite a few ladies and teenage girls. And they know my number one rule is: Get your hair healthy and the length will follow!:yep:

I firmly believe in trimming to keep your ends healthy. Coming from someone who had relaxer pulled through the ends of her hair, I need to trim every so often to get rid of the split ends that were the result of this process.

I try to trim every other month. I don't do huge trims though, an inch or less is okay for me. And usually before I get braids, I trim my hair to reduce or eliminate thin hair.

i just self-relaxed on tues night and on wed during the day saw my ends. not cute. so i took a little less than an inch off last night - by myself - and i couldn't be more pleased. it's hard to be fly with split ends..

Not PinkSkates! I always focus on Health Before Length. I mentor quite a few ladies and teenage girls. And they know my number one rule is: Get your hair healthy and the length will follow!:yep:

You are so right about keeping it healthy. However you know that more often than not, new members are here looking for the pot of gold called instant long hair at any cost. Eventually through trial and error, we all learn overall health is more important..

It's wonderful that you mentor. I hope one day to be able to do that.

Great post! I can celebrate with you!:grin: After a long stretch, I was excited about my lenght progress, but my ends were not cute. 3 1/2 inches later, I'm working my way back to APL but I love my healthy, thick hair. I feel like I have something I can really work with! :yep:

Great post! I can celebrate with you!:grin: After a long stretch, I was excited about my lenght progress, but my ends were not cute. 3 1/2 inches later, I'm working my way back to APL but I love my healthy, thick hair. I feel like I have something I can really work with! :yep:

I feel the same way. Stretching has done so much for me. I commend you. My last stretch which lasted 8 months ended in April. I'm going to try to go for 1 year. I'm texlaxed now. After this trim all I'm doing is protecting those ends and keeping them moisturized and away fro heat.

Good for you, Tamrin. I now look forward to the days I grab my shears and cut off more and more of my relaxed ends..such a freeing sensation.

I am glad that you decided to trim your ends, your hair is going to definitely thank you for this!:yep:

I've always believed in health before length. That's why I cut my hair from BSL to APL. My ends were really bad after growing my hair for over 2 years without any trims. They were weak, thinner than the rest of my hair, tangled and broke. Getting those ends cut were the best thing I could have done. Now my hair is in the best shape it has been in years.

I definitely agree with that. I am going to dust my ends this weekend when my hair dries and nexty relaxer schedule a trim.

I agree with everything said in this thread. But I joined the No Trimming Challenge, so I'm going to try to hold out. I've never gone this long without a trim (last trim was December 2008). :wallbash:

It's harder than I thought. I'm keeping a close eye on my ends though. If they start to look rough, I'm going to have to trim and drop out of the challenge.....:yep:

I agree with everything said in this thread. But I joined the No Trimming Challenge, so I'm going to try to hold out. I've never gone this long without a trim (last trim was December 2008). :wallbash:

It's harder than I thought. I'm keeping a close eye on my ends though. If they start to look rough, I'm going to have to trim and drop out of the challenge.....:yep:

ITA and me too!! But my last cut was April 10, so I'm good for at least another three mos. After that I dunno :rolleyes:

OP your hair looks great! As many have said, health before length is the way to go for me!

I'm in the No Trimming and Baby The Ends Challenge. My last trim was 4/16. I am being vigilant with my ends. Hopefully I will make it the full challenge. If I start to see that I am in need of a trim then I will just have to do what I have to do. I've learned the hard way that I can't put of trims for too long. It is better to trim that little half an inch or so than a couple of inches or more.

I'm in the No Trimming and Baby The Ends Challenge. My last trim was 4/16. I am being vigilant with my ends. Hopefully I will make it the full challenge. If I start to see that I am in need of a trim then I will just have to do what I have to do. I've learned the hard way that I can't put of trims for too long. It is better to trim that little half an inch or so than a couple of inches or more.

That's why I trim often. My hair is really prone to splits for some reason. I can count the number of times I've seen split ends on my mom's hair.

so I have to be conscious of that and trim regularly, so the no trim challenge won't work for me.

when I take out my braids in july, I plan to trim then too. Like Pink said health before length. My hair is growing and I may probably reach MBL this year, would be a shame to have all that hair with nasty looking ends.:grin::perplexed

Back