Something fishy w/ Vitamin Shoppe EVCO

Misstacie

I thought I had found the perfect Ex. Virgin Coconut Oil from Vitamin Shoppe (and on sale too). It's extra creamy w/ no grit and it doesn't have much of a smell, which I like. I went to melt about 3/4 cups to add to my shampoo concoction and it took 2 solid minutes in the microwave on high to completely melt.

There's no way coconut oil should take that long to melt. It will melt at room temperature on a warm day (78 degrees). Not even butter turns to complete liquid at room temp on a hot day. If I put butter in the oven for 2 minutes, it would catch on fire. The only thing I can think of that would make it take that long to melt is that they added patroleum to the mix. It's creamy like vasaline, but feels like EVCO for the most part. ....but now that I think about it, it's not as watery as other COs.

Someone please provide an explaination. I can't believe Vitamin Shoppe would sell bootleg EVCO. :blush:

I bought Coconut Oil from there. I noticed after I got home that it was processed. I think this was the wrong kind. It had no smell. I will go back to Wal Mart to get more.

sounds strange - I swear by Nutiva Coconut oil. Tried a lot of others but this always wins hands down, taste, smell, quality everything.

Is it the Vitamin Shoppe Brand? I ask because I buy my EVCO there, but I only buy Efa Gold EVCO and I haven't had this issue at all. It begins to melt as soon as it touches my hand.

I have the Vitamin Shoppe brand EVCO, and it seems okay to me too -- melts as soon as it meets my hand.

I did try to melt it in the micro and noticed that it took a bit longer than I had expected, but it was also right when I brought the product home...before it had been opened and opened exposed to air and before it had a chance to stand in room temperature at my home. Now that I've had it for over a week, as I said, it melts on contact.

HTH

I get the Spectrum Natural brand from Vitamin Shoppe (looks like the pic but EVCO). It takes about 30 seconds to melt in the microwave. I usually pay around $10...

I get the Spectrum Natural brand from Vitamin Shoppe (looks like the pic but EVCO). It takes about 30 seconds to melt in the microwave. I usually pay around $10...

I use this same brand from Vitamin shoppe and I haven't had any problems with it, actually it melts during the day when it's hot and gets slightly solid when it cools down at night

I use Spectrum. To my knowledge if your coconut oil has no smell to it and doesn't melt when it's suppose to, it's refined oil. It's probably still fine to use for your hair and skin but i wouldn't use it for anything else though.

Walmart only sells Lou Anna brand that I know of. It's refined w/ no smell. I use it for cooking and cosmetics. I have plenty of other low or unrefined oils so for the price it doesn't matter to me if the coconut oil is refined and on the plus side the refined has a much longer shelf life.

I use a product from Whole Foods. It's my second attempt at CO. The first time I bought one that had no smell and was always gritty - even when it was melted. I decided that it may have worked for you all but I didn't like it. But when I ran out and you all kept singing its praises I went to buy another and decided to try a less expensive brand since I didn't love it anyway. This one is a keeper (in a black jar) its EVCO, unrefined I think. It smells wonderful and melts upon touch and has no grittiness. It seems light and easy to use - the other was a mess.

I use the Vitamin Shoppe brand and it melts as soon as it hits my palms. I made sure it said pure unrefined extra virgin coconut oil.

Yeah I use the vitamin shoppe brand too, and I've had no problem. It's hot here and it's sitting on the table looking like a bowl of water. It melts just as you would expect, and starts to solidify as it gets cooler.

Back