Someone Please Help Me With This

divinefavor

I used to blow dry and curl my hair (with a ceramic curling iron) once a week before joining LHCF. I've learned since I've been a part of LHCF that this is not the best thing to do for my fine hair. I have mastered how to do a rollerset with small rollers so that I can have a sort of straw set look or curly look for a few days. However, my issue is rollersetting with bigger rollers to achieve a straight bouncy look that I normally would get with blowing drying and flat/curling ironing. I've tried this for the past few weeks and I can't seem to get it. Please someone help me out with this or share your regimen. I am really trying hard not to blow dry so frequently.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Are you having problems positioning the rollers and keeping them in or is your problem with the end result? I used to have a problem getting that bouncy set when I first started rollersetting my hair. What has helped me is using a creamy leave-in conditioner such as lacio lacio, salerm 21, or giovanni direct and also a spray bottle filled with just water to keep my hair wet as I set it.

I don't think that blow drying and flat ironing would hurt your hair as long as you did not do it that often and used a good heat protectant.

mochamadness said:
Are you having problems positioning the rollers and keeping them in or is your problem with the end result? I used to have a problem getting that bouncy set when I first started rollersetting my hair. What has helped me is using a creamy leave-in conditioner such as lacio lacio, salerm 21, or giovanni direct and also a spray bottle filled with just water to keep my hair wet as I set it.

It's the end result that I'm having trouble with. I'm not sure if I'm supposed to take the rollers out and then wrap it and get back under the dryer for a few minutes (which I have done before and still turned out to be a disaster) and I've also taken the rollers out, wrap and put a scarf on right away. What am I supposed to do once I'm done under the dryer maybe that's the key. But, I also could be positioning the rollers wrong on head as well.

Last night I used Keracare Wrap Foam mixed with a little Elucence MB Conditioner right before rollersetting.

How hot is your dryer? Does the set not come smooth? That is essential also. If you have a frizzy roller set, then your wrap will be frizzy. Is the hair completely dry when you remove the rollers? That makes a difference also.

Webby, used to have step by step instructions in her Fotki album, but I cant seem to get in there now for some reason.
I wish I could be more help.

karezone said:
How hot is your dryer? Does the set not come smooth? That is essential also. If you have a frizzy roller set, then your wrap will be frizzy. Is the hair completely dry when you remove the rollers? That makes a difference also.

The dryer is usually on high. Thank God, my hair is never frizzy so maybe I'm doing something right. I may not be staying under the dryer long enough though.

For some reason I cannot seem to get the same effect that I would if I had only blow dried and flat/curling iron. I see people on this board who are very successful with doing the rollerset/wrap for straightness.

divinefavor said:
It's the end result that I'm having trouble with. I'm not sure if I'm supposed to take the rollers out and then wrap it and get back under the dryer for a few minutes (which I have done before and still turned out to be a disaster) and I've also taken the rollers out, wrap and put a scarf on right away. What am I supposed to do once I'm done under the dryer maybe that's the key. But, I also could be positioning the rollers wrong on head as well.

Last night I used Keracare Wrap Foam mixed with a little Elucence MB Conditioner right before rollersetting.

Gotcha! If your rollerset is coming out stiff after it's dry, I would say that you used too much Foam. Next time try using just the wrap foam and a spray bottle filled with water. You don't really need too much foam on your hair in order for the set to come out right. Make sure that you're using more water than foam, a little goes a LONG way. After I take my rollers out, I usually apply a little oil to my hair, wrap it up and sit under the dryer for another 10 minutes, then just put my scarf on. Once I take my hair down, it is usually sleek and silky.

HTH

divinefavor said:
The dryer is usually on high. Thank God, my hair is never frizzy so maybe I'm doing something right. I may not be staying under the dryer long enough though.

For some reason I cannot seem to get the same effect that I would if I had only blow dried and flat/curling iron. I see people on this board who are very successful with doing the rollerset/wrap for straightness.

I used to have the same problem! Try the dryer on a low setting. What I do now is start off on high for like 4-5 min, then switch to low. My set comes out much better that way. Also, mochamadness is so right about less product is more. For my short 6" hair, I only need one small pump of foaming wrap, and like one little drop of leave-in (I didn't know that 'til recently).

After my hair is dry, I let the hair completely cool first, then take out the rollers. I just wrap mine up loosely, tie it up and go to bed. If you're going somewhere, you can wrap it up after applying a little oil, and sit under the dryer on low to loosen the curl a little. My rollerwrap usually lasts me about 5 -6 days.

mochamadness said:
Gotcha! If your rollerset is coming out stiff after it's dry, I would say that you used too much Foam. Next time try using just the wrap foam and a spray bottle filled with water. You don't really need too much foam on your hair in order for the set to come out right. Make sure that you're using more water than foam, a little goes a LONG way. After I take my rollers out, I usually apply a little oil to my hair, wrap it up and sit under the dryer for another 10 minutes, then just put my scarf on. Once I take my hair down, it is usually sleek and silky.

HTH

Thank you so much, I'll try it this weekend!

shunemite said:
I used to have the same problem! Try the dryer on a low setting. What I do now is start off on high for like 4-5 min, then switch to low. My set comes out much better that way. Also, mochamadness is so right about less product is more. For my short 6" hair, I only need one small pump of foaming wrap, and like one little drop of leave-in (I didn't know that 'til recently).

After my hair is dry, I let the hair completely cool first, then take out the rollers. I just wrap mine up loosely, tie it up and go to bed. If you're going somewhere, you can wrap it up after applying a little oil, and sit under the dryer on low to loosen the curl a little. My rollerwrap usually lasts me about 5 -6 days.

Thank you so much!!! Wow, on low setting, huh?!?!?!? My dryer only has two settings and that's low and high. :lol: I'll try this too on this weekend.

Thank you all so much!!! My rollerset turned out this time and I was able to get the straight look with bounce.

Mochamadness - I followed your recommendations on using more water and less foam. I had little EQP H-Two left in an old bottle, I added water to that, poured a dollop of the foam and a dollop of Elucence MB Conditioner into the same bottled sprayed a little bit and voila!!! As you suggested, I added a little oil after taking out the rollers, wrapped and got back under the dryer for about 7-8 minutes!!!

Shunemite - I started out with high heat, ended with low heat and then a cool setting before taking out my rollers. This worked like a charm! I used my new Ion Soft Bonnet that I purchased today!!!

Again thank you all so much!!!

Back