Someone help before I shave my NAPE!

motherx2esq

Okay, the rest of my hair is thriving BUT this nape is just not growing. I cannot bun or pony to high because my nape is sticking out or just not cute. Is there any help in sight or should I just shave it off? I have not relaxed since June and I don't start in the back. I am just growing tired of it. Any suggestions? I'm 4 a/b, relaxed, I sleep in a 100% silk scarf or satin bonnet and I wear protective styles 98% of the time.

Maybe your problem IS the bunning/pony tails. Maybe to much stress in that area?? Also, perhaps you should skip perming that area period, or until it at least it fills in the way it should. Lastly, is that area extremely dry? Does it need more moisturization?

Do you have to relax that area at touchup time, meaning is there NG there when it is relaxer time?

If so, then you know it is actually growing just not retaining. It could be because of you scarf or bonnet, as well. I was having problems in my nape area and realized that my bonnet was causing it back there. I had to switch it up and when I did that area just started retaining like crazy.

But, if you are not getting NG in that area you could start stimulating that area with a nice essential oil mixture or a premixed one. I have been getting good results from the Lenzis Request oil in a section that I have having problems with. I have heard good things about the oils from Nasabb and Hair2Heaven, as well.

If you shave, won't your problem be worse than before? You'll have to first watch it grow back (s-l-o-w-l-y, based on your statements) to its current length before actually seeing any progress.

Continue to baby that area, use castor oil, BT, hummectants... whatever you prefer, to keep the area moisturized. Also, make sure that your stylist rinse the relaxer from that area real good. I remember reading somewhere that not rinsing relaxers properly and thoroughly from the nape area is the primary cause for short napes.

HTH

Maybe your problem IS the bunning/pony tails. Maybe to much stress in that area?? Also, perhaps you should skip perming that area period, or until it at least it fills in the way it should. Lastly, is that area extremely dry? Does it need more moisturization?

I wouldn't think the bunning is doing it because the hair doesn't get in the bun. lol I usually try to lay it down at night with NTM leave in or QP Mango Butter and a scarf. By the end of the day it has reverted and is frizzy.

I think I will stop relaxing that area. I've thought about it.

Nope, not extremely dry, I moisturize and seal with oils. I've been trying to do a scalp massage back there. I think I just need to be patient. :wallbash:

Do you have to relax that area at touchup time, meaning is there NG there when it is relaxer time?

If so, then you know it is actually growing just not retaining. It could be because of you scarf or bonnet, as well. I was having problems in my nape area and realized that my bonnet was causing it back there. I had to switch it up and when I did that area just started retaining like crazy.

But, if you are not getting NG in that area you could start stimulating that area with a nice essential oil mixture or a premixed one. I have been getting good results from the Lenzis Request oil in a section that I have having problems with. I have heard good things about the oils from Nasabb and Hair2Heaven, as well.

See that is where my problem is. I don't know if there is NG because from root to tip it all feels like NG. Could it be I am not retaining my length? I need to pay attention to see if it is breaking off.

I am thinking that the elastic around the bonnet may be harmful. I have started using a wave cap that is satin that I can pull all the way down without it being tight or having the elastic around the edges.

That oil mixute sounds heavenly. I will look into that! :grin:

I dont know what the problem is with the napes. My nape is not really on point, either. Ive just given up on it.:ohwell:

If you shave, won't your problem be worse than before? You'll have to first watch it grow back (s-l-o-w-l-y, based on your statements) to its current length before actually seeing any progress.

Continue to baby that area, use castor oil, BT, hummectants... whatever you prefer, to keep the area moisturized. Also, make sure that your stylist rinse the relaxer from that area real good. I remember reading somewhere that not rinsing relaxers properly and thoroughly from the nape area is the primary cause for short napes.

HTH

Not if I keep shaving it! lol

I have self relaxed for years so no stylist to blame. I do try to rinse all the relaxer out of the entire head. But I should pay extra attention when doing it in the future. I think I will not relax that area for the next couple of touch ups.

Thanks you guys are being so helpful and making me evaluate what I'm doing that could be harmful. Putting the clippers away. lol

I dont know what the problem is with the napes. My nape is not really on point, either. Ive just given up on it.:ohwell:

I feel you but I am determine to try until I really just say to heck with it. And I am getting pretty close to the to heck with it part. But I am going to try. :spinning:

I was on point with my nape for a while but fell off while wearing a weave. Moisture is key. You have to baby your hair back there. No brushes or pulling with a comb. :nono::nono::nono: BT helped me to grow it out really well the first time. Now the very bottom of my edges are about 2 inches and usually very dry. I've been using BT, Mizani Rose h2o or s-curl, and coconut/evo oils once or twice a day. :yep: It's been working so far.

HTH

I agree with the bolded...my former stylist did this to me a year ago and I'm paying for it now...whatever you do, don't shave it.

I am having problems with my nape area too. Actually the whole perimeter of my head, from the hairline to about an inch back is only about 3-4 inches long.

I think wearing my hair pulled back so tight was the problem. So I am trying my best not to to pull my hair back everyday by doing rollersets. I went out and bought all kinds of hair clips and accessories so I will have options.:yep:

Back