Some older ladies at my church following LHCF methods right under my nose....

RabiaElaine

This weekend this lady at my church who I've known for years had her hair out for the first time in months. It grew soooooo much. She was wearing an ear-length shaved in the back style earlier last year. Then for the last couple of months I noticed she was wearing the classic french roll with some spiral curls in the front.

Anyway her hair is now about 2 inches past her shoulders. It's all even and shiny, beautiful.

Well me being the investigative LHCFer :sekret: that I am started asking questions. She along with a couple other older ladies that were standing around told me, the key to hair growth is to put the hair up and away from your fingers and your comb. Another key was to limit the amount of relaxers you get, once every 3-4 months. Simple.

I know we all know this now...it's just so funny that these ladies follow these simple regimens for long hair and I never realized it since I never see their hair out!

Anyway just thought I'd share.

I wish we had a secret sign, so that you could recoginize other LHCF'ers on the street. I want to talk HAIR many times, but don't want to be considered a freak.

:eek: Women can be so wierd when you ask a simple question about thier hair or routine!

CurliDiva said:
I wish we had a secret sign, so that you could recoginize other LHCF'ers on the street. I want to talk HAIR many times, but don't want to be considered a freak.

:eek: Women can be so wierd when you ask a simple question about thier hair or routine!

:lol: I wish we did too. When I see some women with varying protective styles or with a ponytail that they've pinned the ends up I wonder if they are a fellow LHCFer. I would love to talk to them but same as you don't want to be considered a freak. I'm always staring at women's hair on the street :lachen: .

I spend part of the church service yesterday staring out the ONE girl with healthy, long hair sitting a couple rows in front of me. :) In fact, I took a personal poll and there was not one woman on the choir that had "healthy-looking" hair, just healthy--not long.

This is why I love LHCF so much, I don't see many beautiful heads of black hair (long or short) often!;)

CurliDiva said:
I spend part of the church service yesterday staring out the ONE girl with healthy, long hair sitting a couple rows in front of me. :) In fact, I took a personal poll and there was not one woman on the choir that had "healthy-looking" hair, just healthy--not long.

This is why I love LHCF so much, I don't see many beautiful heads of black hair (long or short) often!;)

My church actually has a lot of women with long healthy hair. Most of them wear their in protective styles 90% of the time, most of them don't relax often, most of them don't let stylist trim them often. Most of them go to domincan salons when they do need to get their hair done, but they don't go often.

And then the girls with unhealthy hair long or short always have it down brushing against their clothes, have a bunch of gel or hairspray in it, they wear braids that are toooooo tight and small.

It's really funny that for most of us to have healthy long hair we have to keep it out of sight, and then those that want long hair always want to have their hair down and abuse it and wonder why the other ladies have long hair:ohwell: .

I'm actually thinking about hosting a session for the young ladies about healthy hair practices. (We have a support group for all of the young ladies in my church ages 12-18).:perplexed

RabiaElaine said:
Well me being the investigative LHCFer :sekret: that I am started asking questions. She along with a couple other older ladies that were standing around told me, the key to hair growth is to put the hair up and away from your fingers and your comb. Another key was to limit the amount of relaxers you get, once every 3-4 months. Simple.

I know we all know this now...it's just so funny that these ladies follow these simple regimens for long hair and I never realized it since I never see their hair out!

HAHA. I bet they're reading your post right now. :lol:

They must be fellow LHCFers. We have tons of members that lurk but never post.

That's funny b/c whenever I see a person with their hair pulled back in a bun, and a little rough around the edges, the first thing I think is "oh, I wonder if she is stretching and doing a protective style too", whereas the average person would probably look at her and say "oh, her hair looks toe up from the flo up!!". I also go into automatic LHCF mode whenever I see someone with a braidout or twists too!

ITA I am always admiring different hair styles and I was sitting in the hospital waiting in the waiting room and this woman came in and I loved her hair. I wanted to know how long did it took for it to grow out, and it wasn't long it was about I would say 6-8 months of new growth out of the TWA but she was offended and wouldn't answer me and looked at me like I was bothering her. My daughter (12) was embarassed she said you and that hair - no one wants to talk about hair and I didnt' say anything else about the hair. It was dry and I would have told her she needed to spritz it more with moisturizer but of course, I wasn't going to say anything until she gave me an opening or even a freaking chance. But she avoided me for the rest of the time we were waiting. I said your hair looks nice how long did it take to grow out and she never said a word not even thank you. So after that I don't comment I just look. I wouldnt mind wearing a necklace with LHCF initials. or a PIN

I was at the salon the other day and a young beautiful sister came in with BBSL. One of the stylist shares that she comes weekly and she only gets a blow out once on a whlie. She was a 4 a/b and it was lovely.

I wanted to ask do you belong to LHCF ? :ohwell:

CurliDiva said:

:lol: ME 2!!1 I saw this woman on the train the other night with nice long, relaxed bra strap length hair and I kept wondering if she was an LHCFer.....I kept looking at her hair to make sure it wasn't a weave, :lachen: !!

I can often be caught when passing a woman with exceptionally healthy/long hair, turning around after I've passed to get a second look and to double check to see if it a weave or not.:cool:

RabiaElaine said:
I can often be caught when passing a woman with exceptionally healthy/long hair, turning around after I've passed to get a second look and to double check to see if it a weave or not.:cool:

I'm not a good weave detector; my gf has to tell me better. From actually seeing it with my own eyes and from seeing beautifult heads of hair here on LHCF, whenever i see a woman with healthy looking/long hair, I automatically assume its hers and I am always telling my friend how pretty the person's hair is (sometimes have to be careful about complimenting people on their hair; I learned my lesson - whole nother thread!)...................That's when my gf has to tell me that its not really hers that its a weave!

blackbarbie said:
I'm not a good weave detector; my gf has to tell me better. From actually seeing it with my own eyes and from seeing beautifult heads of hair here on LHCF, whenever i see a woman with healthy looking/long hair, I automatically assume its hers and I am always telling my friend how pretty the person's hair is (sometimes have to be careful about complimenting people on their hair; I learned my lesson - whole nother thread!)...................That's when my gf has to tell me that its not really hers that its a weave!

I've somehow learned over the years how to tell...usually how it moves when she moves her head, the textures, etc.

Back