Solar Rollers are the ShizNit!!!! : A Non-Biased Review.

LadyChe

Hey Ladies!!

This is one of those times that I wish I weren't so lazy about purchasing a digital camera...

I don't know if you've ever seen Solar Rollers at your nearby Walmart or CVS, but they are small gold fabric rollers that bend and flex. I've been searching for things to help me reduce the amount of heat that I put on my hair and these babies are AWESOME!!

The claim is that the special fabric that encases each roller "sets" the curl in your hair. I don't know if that's the case, but they definitely work!

They cost about $6 for a pack of twelve rollers. I rollerset my hair yesterday and wanted to maintain my curly/wavy look for today. I made big vertical sections of my hair and used about 8 solar rollers - twisting my hair around each and then folding the edges of the roller down to hold it in place.

Because the rollers are not hard, it was easy to tuck these under a bonnet and go to sleep without giving myself a headache or a crick in my neck from trying to hold my head in one crazy position all night.

And VOILA!! My hair is bangin today!! Just a bit curlier than it was with the rollers, but because I don't use hairspray, the curls fell to perfect length by mid-morning.

I consider Solar Rollers an awesome alternative to pin-curl/bantu knot challenged women like myself.

Has anybody else tried these?

Thanks for the review. I've always wondered how they worked. Is that special fabric smooth like satin?

It is smooth. I wouldn't say that it is as smooth as satin. It kinda feels a bit stiff - like plastic tablecloth fabric - if that makes any sense.

Yeah to solar rollers. If u like those, try the Wrap Snap and Go set! They are a little longer than the solar rollers but have no wire inside to break (at least that's what happened to most of mine over time). The Wrap rollers also use a snap made into the ends to hold the roller in place. Thay r a real time saver. I use that cirular hair comb I'm always talking about to put mu hair up and roll up my ends. In the morning, I just unroll finger fluff and go! They r great!

Does solar mean u have to be out in the sun for them to work?

LadyChe said:
Hey Ladies!!

This is one of those times that I wish I weren't so lazy about purchasing a digital camera...

I don't know if you've ever seen Solar Rollers at your nearby Walmart or CVS, but they are small gold fabric rollers that bend and flex. I've been searching for things to help me reduce the amount of heat that I put on my hair and these babies are AWESOME!!

The claim is that the special fabric that encases each roller "sets" the curl in your hair. I don't know if that's the case, but they definitely work!

They cost about $6 for a pack of twelve rollers. I rollerset my hair yesterday and wanted to maintain my curly/wavy look for today. I made big vertical sections of my hair and used about 8 solar rollers - twisting my hair around each and then folding the edges of the roller down to hold it in place.

Because the rollers are not hard, it was easy to tuck these under a bonnet and go to sleep without giving myself a headache or a crick in my neck from trying to hold my head in one crazy position all night.

And VOILA!! My hair is bangin today!! Just a bit curlier than it was with the rollers, but because I don't use hairspray, the curls fell to perfect length by mid-morning.

I consider Solar Rollers an awesome alternative to pin-curl/bantu knot challenged women like myself.

Has anybody else tried these?

ravensunshine said:
Yeah to solar rollers. If u like those, try the Wrap Snap and Go set! They are a little longer than the solar rollers but have no wire inside to break (at least that's what happened to most of mine over time). The Wrap rollers also use a snap made into the ends to hold the roller in place. Thay r a real time saver. I use that cirular hair comb I'm always talking about to put mu hair up and roll up my ends. In the morning, I just unroll finger fluff and go! They r great!

I love the Wrap, Snap, and GO. I can't sleep in the hard rollers, so this is perfect for me. It reminds me of when my mom used to roll my hair up using brown paper bags. The only downside is that these are cloth, but I haven't had a problem with dryness or my ends when I use them.

Dogmd said:
Hi thanks for the review... Did these rollers create tight curls or loose waves?

Well, since I used them vertically, I got medium sized waves. I find if I make horizontal parts, I get results like a tight bantu knot set.

Are you ladies air drying your hair first then moisturizing and setting or setting on wet hair? Please explain as I currently roller set and would LOVE to cut out the time I spend under the dryer. Thanks.

SNyeema said:
Are you ladies air drying your hair first then moisturizing and setting or setting on wet hair? Please explain as I currently roller set and would LOVE to cut out the time I spend under the dryer. Thanks.

Ditto on that and bump...

I use them to refresh my curls. I dampen my hair slightly and then roll it up on a diagonal for spiral curls. I've never tried them for a roller set, I prefer the flexirods for that.:)

I used them on dry hair and then added a creamy moisturizer and rolled. I'll try it on wet/damp hair one day to see the results.

MonaLisa: I'm glad they worked for you too.

kitchen_tician said:
I used them on dry hair and then added a creamy moisturizer and rolled. I'll try it on wet/damp hair one day to see the results.

MonaLisa: I'm glad they worked for you too.

Yuppers. Solar Rollers & Mango Butter. They are my warm weather friends...:grin:

I bought some of those rubber tube like rollers that you just twist. Do you need end paper to use these or can you just wrap your hair round it and it will work?

I have these and I love them. I don't use them often because I don't wear my hair down much.

Back