Soft bonnet dryer vs. Bonnet dryer attachment Reviews and/or Suggestions!!!!

myxdchiick

I am really wanting a bonnet dryer attachment because I am trying to be cheap...especially in this economy, but I want to know if it would be worth the money.I need pros and cons for both, to see which would be a good deal. Anybody can contribute their reviews on either/ both. Suggestions on brands and suggestions in general are also welcome...Thanks A Bunch!

P.S. I've tried the search and it didn't work, but I'll try again.

ETA: yea I've even read about how some of them fly off the head once the blow dryer is turned on. I know I'm probably asking for too much if I say I plan on using it for prepoos, DCs, and rollersetting. If that's not possible I'll just use my Gold n' Hot tabletop dryer for prepoos and DCs. I guess want something that is good for rollersetting so I can multi-task aka Homework.

Last edited:
I have a soft bonnet blow dryer attachment. It's made but Gold N Hot and was $8 at the BSS. I like it for pre poos and use my table top dryer for DCing. I read reviews stating that it doesn't dry the nape when doing roller sets but for my purposes it works well.

ETA: It's got hot and fit over by blow dryer perfectly. It doesn't slip off my head either which is another complaint I read about.

i use a soft bonnet. i like it for the fact that it does the job (may take a little longer), and I can lay in the bed, read a book, go to sleep, and just be comfy. I have a hard hood i never use. i just keep it in case the soft bonnet breaks. FYI--the bonnets start to wear out. my suggestion is to get some extras. I have a vidal sasson and i have to call helen of troy to get replacement caps $6 each, but other then that, I will rock on w/ the soft bonnet. Got it on right now actually.

I have a Carel Soft Bonnet Dryer and I also have a soft bonnet blow dryer attachment. Both have their pros and cons. The Carel Soft bonnet Dryer takes forever to dry my hair, but it stays on well. The soft bonnet blow dryer attachment sometimes comes off of my head when I use it to dry or deep condition my hair. It does not do this when I have rollers in my hair because I guess there is more in the bonnet for it to have a more snug fit. I think the soft bonnet attachement costs about $6 at Sally's. I forget how much the Carel Soft Bonnet costs, but I bought it at Sally's as well. I think I like the soft bonnet attachment better because I use it with my ionic blow dryer which also has more watts than the Carel Soft Bonnet dryer. The Carel Soft Bonnet dryer is not ionic. I was debating whether to buy a rollaround stand up hood dryer, but I think the soft bonnet/attachment serves my needs for now. I think the soft bonnet attachment is a cheaper alternative especially if you have a blow dryer with a cool setting and ionic setting. If I could just get it to stay on my head when I am not using rollers! HTH.

Last edited:
I have the dryer attachment that I slip onto my cheapy hair dryer. I use it for rollersets and it takes an okay amount of time to dry (recommends medium heat instead of low). I use it for about 2 hours and let the rest air dry. I usually do rollersets Sunday nights before work, so it gets the job done as far as I'm concerned. It sometimes slips off the hand dryer, so I end up holding the dryer in my hand the entire time:look:

Right now I am using the bonnet dryer attachment with my Red Ceramic Blow dryer and it works good enough...until I get my Pibbs....

The attachment is cheap and I think it works just as well as the bonnet dryers. I have to put rubber bands to keep it on the dryer though. And I wish the bonnet had elastic around it so it would stay on when I don't have rollers in. If I am DC'ing I tie a net or large scarf around the outside of the bonnet to keep it on. It stays on fine if I have on rollers though.

Hey I bought the Gold n Hot version of the soft bonnet attachment and I LOVE IT! I had the conair soft bonnet dryer but took it back ASAP because it sucked. My only complaint with the soft bonnet attachment is that it blows off your head if you're not using rollers. You have to either hold it down on your head if you want to use it for deep conditioning or maybe you could lie down with it, I haven't tried that yet. It also gets really hot so make sure to put your blow dryer on warm or you're going to burn up! I did a pony tail rollerset and sat under the dryer for 30 mins and then went to bed. My hair was dry in the morning. Hope this helps!

i use the gold n hot soft bonnet dryer. i've had it for 6 years and you can still buy it online (amazon.com). i really wish that i could find a bonnet dryer with higher wattage. i live in a studio apartment and do not have room for the hard bonnet dryer or anything that stands tall... i need things that are compact. ;-)

i may consider buying the bonnet attachment for my blow dryer since i have a conair ionic tourmaline blow dryer with a much higher wattage. my bonnet dryer only has 350W. my blow dryer is at least 1700W.

i use the bonnet dryer for DCs and roller sets. i am under the dryer now... with 90 minutes to go at least. *sigh* i get no sleep.

i have a soft bonnet, its by gold n hot. the model # is SBD-40 ... I've had it for a long time, since the 6th grade!! (11 years total) It works pretty good.i dont really use it that often, probably why it still works LOL.

I got the soft bonnet gold n hot attachement for $10 bucks at sallys. I LOVE IT. It dries fast and works great. It fits my blow dryer easily and stays on the blow dryer.

It does like to blow off if i do not have rollers in but i tie a scarf loosely around by head before i turn it on. It stays put. That is a small price to pay for a great inexpensive product.

I have a Gold N Hot attachment, too. I really like it because I just needed something cheap that would do the job until I could get my hard bonnet dryer from my parents' house out of state. I've been using it for a few months now. It's great for when I want to be a lazy bum and just lay in bed. When I finally get my hard bonnet back I might still use this one because I love sitting in my bed so much!

I also like that I can use it with my 1875 ionic vidal sassoon blow dryer! I think this really helps considerably with the amount of time I have to sit under the dryer. I have neck length and shoulder lenght hair and depending on the rollers I use, I can be dry in 40-45 minutes with the dryer speed on low and temp on warm. I also don't have a problem with it staying on my blowdryer or my head as long as I have rollers on my head. When I do silk wraps, I have to position it at just... the right... spot...and not move too much :)

I still use my conditioning heating cap for prepoos and deep conditioning because I don't like trying to keep the attachment on my head. I might try the scarf idea that some of the ladies were talking about.

I had a Hot 'n Gold dryer attachment that I used for deep conditioning. I couldn't use it for rollersets because it wouldn't dry my hair properly. During my dc's I'd have to hold the sides of the attachment down to keep it on my head, otherwise it would blow off. I didn't like it, and I wouldn't recommend it.

I later invested in Sally's Ion Soft Bonnet Dryer which has since been discontinued. Hot n' Gold makes one as well, and I assume it's just as good. I :love: this thing. I use it for rollersets, and it dries my hair quickly. It gets uber hot, and it was one of the few dryers I could fit my head under with purple and grey rollers comfortably when I was relaxed...I have a big head. I love the fact that I don't have to waste time sitting in one place, I attach an extension cord and be about my business. I've never used a Pibbs, but I can't imagine ever wanting to upgrade, this dryer is the biz. :grin:

I had a Hot 'n Gold dryer attachment that I used for deep conditioning. I couldn't use it for rollersets because it wouldn't dry my hair properly. During my dc's I'd have to hold the sides of the attachment down to keep it on my head, otherwise it would blow off. I didn't like it, and I wouldn't recommend it.

I later invested in Sally's Ion Soft Bonnet Dryer which has since been discontinued. Hot n' Gold makes one as well, and I assume it's just as good. I :love: this thing. I use it for rollersets, and it dries my hair quickly. It gets uber hot, and it was one of the few dryers I could fit my head under with purple and grey rollers comfortably when I was relaxed...I have a big head. I love the fact that I don't have to waste time sitting in one place, I attach an extension cord and be about my business. I've never used a Pibbs, but I can't imagine ever wanting to upgrade, this dryer is the biz. :grin:

Not to be funny but do you have a big head? I have a big head, with BSL - MBL hair and I don't really want to purchase a Pibb$. I need a soft bonnet that won't make my brain feel like it's melting, that can dry my hair evenly. Is that a lot to ask for? DH says, I am better off not wasting my time and he will get me a Pibb$ for my birthday. WTH does he know? Tell me he's wrong! :yep:

ETA: I just saw the pic, LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not to be funny but do you have a big head? I have a big head, with BSL - MBL hair and I don't really want to purchase a Pibb$. I need a soft bonnet that won't make my brain feel like it's melting, that can dry my hair evenly. Is that a lot to ask for? DH says, I am better off not wasting my time and he will get me a Pibb$ for my birthday. WTH does he know? Tell me he's wrong! :yep:

ETA: I just saw the pic, LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Girl I have a biiiiiiig ole head! I remember reading somewhere that Pibbs is not for the big headed ladies which is just as well cause I don't have Pibbs money :lachen:

Girl I have a biiiiiiig ole head! I remember reading somewhere that Pibbs is not for the big headed ladies which is just as well cause I don't have Pibbs money :lachen:

^5!!!!! How long does it take you to dry your hair? Does your brain hurt? I had a soft bonnet and my brain was throbbing. I need to retain all of my brain cells!!!! :yep: :lachen:

It depends on how I set my hair. If I do a flexirod/mesh roller set, it dries in about 45 minutes. Just over an hour for sets with magnetic rollers. It gets hot, crazy hot. The only thing that makes my head hurt is setting my hair too tight.

Bumping this one because my Gold n' Hot Soft Bonnet Dryer just died (mid DC.. the nerve!) Anywho, I'm looking for up-to date suggestions on a replacement. Preferably a dryer that's flexi rod set friendly. They took forever to dry with the Gold n' Hot Soft.

I just used the Gold N Hot Dryer attachment for the first time. It's good, but I had to hold it down with my hand because it flew off several times. Next time, I'll tie a scarf on the outside of the bonnet. Thanks for the tip ladies.

I ordered my hand held dryer and bonnet attachment products from Amazon.com; just trying to save some money in this economy. The dryer really gets hot. Not bad for $14.99 + 9.99 for the bonnet attachment.

Last edited:
Back