So, Uhhh... What Exactly Is Going On Here?

toufa

I've recently started taking better care of my hair. At least I thought I was. But I notice that I'm actually LOSING more hairs than before I started this new regimen. :perplexed For example, when I moisturize and seal and put my hair in plaits, now I can actually pull full hair strands out of the plait! And I'm not really tugging at the plait. Just smoothing down the length of the plait all the way to the end and the full strands just slip out. :nono:

Things I've recently done differently: baggying 4-5 times a week. Is it possible to get too much moisture?

Oiling scalp each day. At first I think I was putting to much oil on for sure. But now I only put on just a bit. But maybe even a bit is too much oil? Can one be oil-sensitive? How often should I be oiling my scalp each week? I'm using JBCO, Emu and Jojoba oils.

I've also started co-washing at least 2 times a week and DC 1x a week. Could it be too much manipulation? I hope not b/c I rather like washing my hair more often.

I also notice my scalp itches sometimes, even after co-washing. But after I oil my scalp that goes away. It occurred to me that maybe it was residue/build-up so I started doing an ACV rinse too. That didn't really help.

I've also started taking biotin and garlic pills. But I can't imagine these could be a problem. :perplexed

Any thoughts on why I'm loosing MORE hairs than before I made these changes? TIA :)

Last edited:
Maybe you aren't losing more hair. Maybe you perceive it as such because of the way in which they are shedding. You could try a garlic deep conditioner like Alter Ego. As for the tinglies, I think there was a thread on this earlier this week. It could be that your growth is increasing due to the supplements and techniques you are currently using. But I suppose if you are losing full strands and yet have the bulb at the end, that you are safe. Also, I've heard that biotin can increase shedding

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Maybe you aren't losing more hair. Maybe you perceive it as such because of the way in which they are shedding. You could try a garlic deep conditioner like Alter Ego. As for the tinglies, I think there was a thread on this earlier this week. It could be that your growth is increasing due to the supplements and techniques you are currently using. But I suppose if you are losing full strands and yet have the bulb at the end, that you are safe. Also, I've heard that biotin can increase shedding

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Thanks for your response. I will look into the Alter Ego conditioner. It seems strange that I can be shedding more (i.e. losing more hair) than before if my hair is actually being treated better and (presumably) getting healthier. :ohwell:

Garlic Shampoo saved my life after having a serious shedding problem. Also, you are starting something new, right. We are 100% more aware of our hair when we're checking it every day. It might be a combination of these two factors. Have you added any new vitamins or growth aides to your regime or stopped any medications recently?

Please don't forget...the seasons are changing..Changing seasons = increased shedding.

Are you transitioning?

I know exactly what you are speaking of, like there is no breakage but if you touch your hair, even a very soft stroke hair just comes out, well shed hair comes out, in clumps or at lease 6-7 strands at a time.

I remember this happening to me, on the board I was told it was normal shedding but that was not normal shedding, at least not for me. Anyway, after a while it just went away, it could of been to much moisture or the fact I was getting rid of the relaxer (I have heard, women say on the board I started shedding so i had to relax, so don't know if that has anything to do with it.

Using ayurveda powders really helped me through that faze. HTH. : )

Garlic Shampoo saved my life after having a serious shedding problem. Also, you are starting something new, right. We are 100% more aware of our hair when we're checking it every day. It might be a combination of these two factors. Have you added any new vitamins or growth aides to your regime or stopped any medications recently?

Please don't forget...the seasons are changing..Changing seasons = increased shedding.

Are you transitioning?

I know exactly what you are speaking of, like there is no breakage but if you touch your hair, even a very soft stroke hair just comes out, well shed hair comes out, in clumps or at lease 6-7 strands at a time.

I remember this happening to me, on the board I was told it was normal shedding but that was not normal shedding, at least not for me. Anyway, after a while it just went away, it could of been to much moisture or the fact I was getting rid of the relaxer (I have heard, women say on the board I started shedding so i had to relax, so don't know if that has anything to do with it.

Using ayurveda powders really helped me through that faze. HTH. : )

Thanks for your replies. I'm gonna look into the garlic shampoos and conditioners. I guess it could just be that I'm paying more attention to my hair so I notice the shedding more. IDK. I have been taking garlic, biotin and some other (non-hair related) supplements. But I wouldn't think those would be a problem. No medications.

@Truth. So changing seasons = more shedding? I didn't know that.

@C00KIE. That's it exactly. Its scary! :blush: I'm not transitioning. I'm all natural, but I'm wondering if my hair/scalp is reacting to the use of much more oils/conditioners plus so much more moisture from bagging and 2xCW-1xDCs each week; whereas before my routine was very minimal.

Perhaps I should scale things back a bit w/the co-washes and oils. But I thought those would be good for me. :perplexed Maybe I should shampoo more instead of CW-ing. IDK.

Last edited:
I felt like I lose more hair during my healthy hair journey than I did before I started taking care of my hair. I look around my bathroom floors and my house and there are little hair balls EVERYWHERE. I know for a fact, I never loss this much hair before I started taking care of my hair. The ironic thing is however, is I'm still getting tons of growth. So idk.

It could be too much moisture as well. How often do you use protein?
Reason for me believing it could be too much moisture is because, when this was happening to me I remember my hair being very light and fine strands...

BTW. Welcome to the board

Last edited:
I felt like I lose more hair during my healthy hair journey than I did before I started taking care of my hair. I look around my bathroom floors and my house and there are little hair balls EVERYWHERE. I know for a fact, I never loss this much hair before I started taking care of my hair. The ironic thing is however, is I'm still getting tons of growth. So idk.

I hope I get the same results! :)

It could be too much moisture as well. How often do you use protein?
Reason for me believing it could be too much moisture is because, when this was happening to me I remember my hair being very light and fine strands...

BTW. Welcome to the board

Well, I'm now using AO GPB conditioner as a DC and for protein. So far I've only used it 1x. I thought that would be a good start for a light protein since I haven't really used protein before.

As far as the moisture, I had been baggying overnight 4-5 times a week and I think that may have been too much. I'm going to cut back on the baggying, the oiling and the CWing for a minute and see what happens. When I go back to bagging I think I'll only do it for a few hours at a time.

Last edited:
@ellebelle88 and @toufa, I don't think you're losing more hair. I think you just notice it more because you're more attentive to your hair now that you're taking care of it. It's normal to lose 100 hairs a day, but ask anyone who has never been into hair and they'll call that BS. They'll swear that doesn't happen to them. And it's not because it doesn't happen that they're so sure; it's because they are oblivious to it.

Think about people who, before they joined hair forums or learned about their hair, believed that their hair could only get to shoulder length (:wave: Heyyyy!). Ask them (me back then) if they (I) experienced breakage and they (I) will swear "No." The tiny pieces that broke off went unnoticed because people are not that attentive. Then you'll see people collecting their shed hair and freaking out about it once they join the forum, when it's the same amount that is considered normal but just looks more coz they are more observant or because their hair is longer. And they notice all these things because NOW they're paying attention.

Ever learned a new word and then suddenly realized everyone around you is using it more? It's not because they too just learned it or it suddenly became hip to use. It's because now you recognize and understand the word so it doesn't go over your head anymore. Similar thing going on here.

@ellebelle88 and @toufa, I don't think you're losing more hair. I think you just notice it more because you're more attentive to your hair now that you're taking care of it. It's normal to lose 100 hairs a day, but ask anyone who has never been into hair and they'll call that BS. They'll swear that doesn't happen to them. And it's not because it doesn't happen that they're so sure; it's because they are oblivious to it.

Think about people who, before they joined hair forums or learned about their hair, believed that their hair could only get to shoulder length (:wave: Heyyyy!). Ask them (me back then) if they (I) experienced breakage and they (I) will swear "No." The tiny pieces that broke off went unnoticed because people are not that attentive. Then you'll see people collecting their shed hair and freaking out about it once they join the forum, when it's the same amount that is considered normal but just looks more coz they are more observant or because their hair is longer. And they notice all these things because NOW they're paying attention.

Ever learned a new word and then suddenly realized everyone around you is using it more? It's not because they too just learned it or it suddenly became hip to use. It's because now you recognize and understand the word so it doesn't go over your head anymore. Similar thing going on here.

you are so right!! i swore my hair would only get to shoulder length and it would break off if i didnt perm and also it never occurred to me that the reason that my hair was always at shoulder length was because my ends were snapping off, they had me believing since i didnt take care of my hair it just wasnt growing...lol I was so horrible back then.:nono:

You may be sensitive to the protein. Try using less or a more natural protein. I cannot use hair mayonaise. I started off using it but now the minute I put it on my hair I get big clumps of hair in my hand so I use Aubry Organics.

Back