So my texlaxing is breaking my hair...

AlexLyons

Ok Ladies,

I'm gonna get right to it.

I've been texlaxing for 2 years now and though I love the increased thickness that comes with it, my hair is too hard to detangle, and is breaking pretty badly at the front, at the line of demarcation between the texlaxed hair and the relaxed hair. I've proteined more and moisturized less and I've moisturized more, and protein less,- nothing works :crybaby:. I at least didn't have this problem with relaxed hair. So I've decided to go back to relaxing- sure my hair will not be as lovely and thick- but hopefully it won't break as much either.

a)Has anyone ever experienced anything like this before (bad personal experience texlaxing that is ?)
b)Has any gone from texlaxed back to relaxed?

All help is appreciated.

Well, I guess the first thing is, what moisture/cd are you using? What kind? I ask because, I'm transitioning from relaxed to texlaxed, and I've found that moisture is really important in keeping the texlaxed hair blending properly.

Also, how much relaxed hair do you have left? Or, to put it another way, do you have enough texlaxed hair to possibly cut off the relaxed part, thereby fixing the problem you're having at the line of demarcation?

Like I said, I'm transitioning from relaxed to texlaxed, so I'm interested in the responses you get.

Sorry to hear about your problem with breakage! The first question that popped in my head is... What state is your hair in when you are detangling or combing? I never detangle or comb through my hair unless it has conditioner in it.

Hopefully more texlaxed ladies will chime in soon.

btw, have you tried co washing at all? i co washed when i was transitioning to texlaxed from relaxed.

Last edited:
I found that I use to loose a lot of hair if I wait too long to detangle. I just cant go that long. 3 days is my absolute limit or I begin to loose hair.

Last edited:
I found that texlaxing broke my hair very badly, though I'm prone to blame it more on the lye relaxer that I used (ORS). The last time I texlaxed I used a no-lye, and also smoothed more and made the hair a bit straighter. I find that my straighter roots are stronger than the more textured hair at the middle and ends. If I were to continue texlaxing, I would remove more of the texture, it made it easier to handle.

With that being said, I'm going back natural. Good luck with whatever yu decide!

Taxlaxing didn't work for me either. For my hair it's either all or nothing, relaxed or natural. You can still retain your hairs thickness with relaxing by stretching your relaxers.

I don't texlax either, leaving my relaxer on 20-25 mins (app and smoothing time) works best. A uniform texture throughout helps me maintain the health and thickness of my strands and im able to manage my hair much better between touch ups.

Taxlaxing didn't work for me either. For my hair it's either all or nothing, relaxed or natural. You can still retain your hairs thickness with relaxing by stretching your relaxers.

Hey Charmtreese, So what did you do? Was it breaking your hair? And how long had you been texlaxing? And did you just go back to relaxing?

Is it possible that your hair is harder to detangle because its getting longer? If you have texlaxed for 2 years without a problem than maybe its something else.

Well, I guess the first thing is, what moisture/cd are you using? What kind? I ask because, I'm transitioning from relaxed to texlaxed, and I've found that moisture is really important in keeping the texlaxed hair blending properly.

Also, how much relaxed hair do you have left? Or, to put it another way, do you have enough texlaxed hair to possibly cut off the relaxed part, thereby fixing the problem you're having at the line of demarcation?

Like I said, I'm transitioning from relaxed to texlaxed, so I'm interested in the responses you get.

Hey Honey Bee,

Alot of this is my fault...I started out ok,but then I started blowdrying it twice a week so that it always looked on point, and also, I thought that I should step up my protein treatments instead of my moisturizing one to keep the line of demarcation strong.

My hair is normally an even thick shoulder-lenghth but now the top horse-shoe bit has broken out to about 3-inches :nono:. Thank God I can still style it out though so no one can really see the damage...

I've now stepped up my moisturizing regime so I 'm moisturizing everyday with Cathy Howse's moisturizer, and at least once a week with Doo Gro Deep Penetrating Conditioner. I normally use Elasta QP DPR (I think its off the hook, lol) but I live right outside London and its a bit hard to get at the moment...

Good luck with your tex laxing!I'm sure it will go much better than mine.:yep:

Is it possible that your hair is harder to detangle because its getting longer? If you have texlaxed for 2 years without a problem than maybe its something else.

I know what you mean but I have VERY fine strands of hair and detangling it is becoming way too stressful :wallbash:...Its a mission when my hair is dry, much less wet. I've kinda had enough of tex lax for the moment. Maybe one day I'll go back but right now I just wanna know if its safe for me to go straight back into relaxing or if I should expect more breakage :ohwell:.

Over 3 years ago, I transitioned from relaxed-straight to texlaxed and gradually trimmed off the relaxed ends. I love the thickness and natural-ish styles I can create with my underprocessed hair. :grin:

To detangle, with minimal breakage, I use my fingers first, while my hair is still dry. Then I apply conditioner, allow it to sit for a while, rinse and then gently detangle with a shower comb. I do this weekly and never comb my hair when it is dry.

Also, my hair requires much more moisture than protein. I do protein treatments only 4 times a year, at touchup time.

I hope this helps you.

ETA: If your hair is in good condition, relaxing straight should not be a problem.

Last edited:
How much of the straight relaxed hair do you have left? It it is breaking mainly at that line, it might be time to trim it off.

On a percentage scale, how straight are you going? Is is like 60% 80% etc...

Hey Charmtreese, So what did you do? Was it breaking your hair? And how long had you been texlaxing? And did you just go back to relaxing?

I had been texlaxing (underprocessing) my hair for a while, long before people coined the term "texlaxing". For the longest I couldn't understand why my hair kept feeling rough, matting, tangling and breaking. I realized that my fine 4b hair could not withstand the randomness of textures on each strand. I ended up going to the salon for a corrective (a couple of yrs ago) and I have not looked back since!

I had been texlaxing (underprocessing) my hair for a while, long before people coined the term "texlaxing". For the longest I couldn't understand why my hair kept feeling rough, matting, tangling and breaking. I realized that my fine 4b hair could not withstand the randomness of textures on each strand. I ended up going to the salon for a corrective (a couple of yrs ago) and I have not looked back since!

Do you know what they used for the corrective? Also, did they pull the corrective all the way through your hair since you had random textures throughout? This is my exact problem now.

If you are losing more hair when you try to detangle, maybe a detangler will help. I really like the Sally's GVP PM The Detangler knockoff. If you use this after conditioning it may help. There are spray detanglers as well, Just for me has one. Also maybe a smoother cuticle will help. You can try Porosity control or diluted ACV rinses. Also a good heat protectant for blow drying. Protective styles as everyone mentions and using less heat to minimize heat damage. Let us know how things turn out.

thought it was just me. . . I was texlaxing using ORS. . . I thought maybe because there were times I left it on longer than other times. . . it just DOESN'T detangle well at all. . . I have decided to go all the way natural. . . so crossed fingers. REAL shoulder length or bust! lol. I just wish I didn't even start texlaxing. . . my hair would have been there by now *tear drop*

I know what you mean but I have VERY fine strands of hair and detangling it is becoming way too stressful :wallbash:...Its a mission when my hair is dry, much less wet. I've kinda had enough of tex lax for the moment. Maybe one day I'll go back but right now I just wanna know if its safe for me to go straight back into relaxing or if I should expect more breakage :ohwell:.

I totally understand. I have read that protein is very beneficial to those with fine hair and they can get away with or even need it more often. Sounds like you are ready to make your hair straighter. You still don't have to go bone straight. Wavy hair will make it easier to detangle and let you have more volume when straight.

How much of the straight relaxed hair do you have left? It it is breaking mainly at that line, it might be time to trim it off.

On a percentage scale, how straight are you going? Is is like 60% 80% etc...

Hey gymfreak,

My hair is just past shoulder-length (about 6-7inches root to tip), and about 1/4 at the end of that is still relaxed, but my hair is breaking about 3 inches in...right before the halfway point:perplexed...too much to trim unless I were to get a really BC!, lol.

Thanks everyone for answering!!! I think I may just start relaxing again from the beginning and hope for the best, lol!

I say don't do it..i went from a texturizer..i had no problems just wanted to go back to a relaxer and did..

the relaxer on texturized hair resulted in over processing ..

Let's just say im back where i started..and back on this board..3 years of progress..GONE..i might be worse off then my original starting pt..

don't mean to scare you..hey maybe i just did something wrong..but this is just something to keep in mind..

please learn from my mistakes

wow... twice a week blow drying is a lot. I think it might be best if you just try to stretch out your relaxers to have the thickness instead of texlaxing.

Back