So my mother said...

AmyRose92

(I think a good portion of the threads are posted about my mother or at least influenced by her. :spinning:)

So, this morning, as I'm prepping my hair to put on my wig, she comes in and starts telling me that I need to braid my hair in smaller sections so that my hair doesn't get damaged under the wig.

This is what I do:
1. Part hair into four sections
2. Moisturize
3. Twist the four sections
4. Tuck the twisted ends underneath the hair
5. Place a satin cap over the hair
6. Place a stocking cap over the satin cap.

I think it's an awesome protective style but whenever my mom says something, I end up second-guessing myself. :ohwell: Could she be right about this?

SIDE QUESTION: It seems that people (particularly women) just scoff or give me that pitiful smile whenever I say my hair should be this length by the end of the year if I retain all of the inches 'cause they're just that skeptical. How do you ladies deal with the skepticism? 'Cause I need a lot of encouragement at the moment. :yep:

I dont deal with skeptics. They'll see for themselves when my hair is swangin down my back. Time isn't going to stop, so they'll see eventually.

I'm not sure about the mom and damaging wig thing... It sounded pretty protective to me though.

I agree with Miryoku on all points. Personally, I do my sections much smaller so they last longer (and I limit manipulation), but that's just me. What you're doing seems fine.

Regarding "convincing" others of how realistic your hair goals are......girl, don't waste your breath. When you're rocking that empressri CL hair, that'll be convincing enough :yep:

Last edited:
Your routine to protect your hair sounds pretty good to me, but I am no expert.

And on the skeptics........Don't waste your time, breath or energy. They are gonna think what they are gonna think. They will see in time.

I've never worn a wig so I couldn't say anything on that front. I agree with bride that maybe smaller sections would mean not having to re-do as often which would mean less manipulation.

As far as skepticism is concerned, I wouldn't let it bother you. I don't share my hair goals too much with people IRL and will let my results do the talking. No one believe I'd stay natural this long and that my hair would grow. Now everytime someone in my family sees me all they can talk about is how nice my hair looks and how long it's gotten.

You can see your progress in your siggy so I wouldn't worry bout what others have to say about your goals. Show em where you can't tell em

It sounds protective to me. With a satin cap, a stocking cap and a wig, I don't think that your hair will get damaged.

I don't share my hair goals with anyone who isn't also on a hair journey so I don't have to deal with skeptics. I don't actually talk about hair unless it is someone I know is on a hair journey and is somewhat opened minded. It's just a waste of time.

You're doing a great job! And don't worry, I dealt with the same stuff when I lived with my mom. She always told me that I was going to destroy my hair, and "Why don't you just go back to a stylist?" Then when I did find a stylist, she said, "See? Your hair is soooo much thicker now that you're going to a stylist!" She didn't realize that it was MY initial hair care routine in between the stylist that was making the difference. Then I stopped trusting stylists all together. My mom was sure my hair would be gone within a year.

Now four years later (with setbacks and all), I'm finally BSB (from just above SL) and still growing. Do you know what my mom did? She stopped going to stylists, she's transitioning (because I was a while ago), and she asks my advice all the time. :spinning:

My point is, it will take time for people to start believing. Seeing is believing for most people. It's human nature. I know their skepticism gets you down sometimes (especially if you have a setback) but keep going and keep pushing! The proof will shine through eventually when you have thick, plush WL hair!:grin:

(I think a good portion of the threads are posted about my mother or at least influenced by her. :spinning:)

So, this morning, as I'm prepping my hair to put on my wig, she comes in and starts telling me that I need to braid my hair in smaller sections so that my hair doesn't get damaged under the wig.

This is what I do:
1. Part hair into four sections
2. Moisturize
3. Twist the four sections
4. Tuck the twisted ends underneath the hair
5. Place a satin cap over the hair
6. Place a stocking cap over the satin cap.

I think it's an awesome protective style but whenever my mom says something, I end up second-guessing myself. :ohwell: Could she be right about this?

SIDE QUESTION: It seems that people (particularly women) just scoff or give me that pitiful smile whenever I say my hair should be this length by the end of the year if I retain all of the inches 'cause they're just that skeptical. How do you ladies deal with the skepticism? 'Cause I need a lot of encouragement at the moment. :yep:

My family doesnt get "protective styling", which is what I tend to wear. I tried to explain it to a few of them once and it was like talking to a deaf wall. Not just a wall but a deaf wall.

I dont listen to the skeptics. Usually those that are skeptical are the ones holding onto hair that is barely EL. I dont share my hair goals with anyone becuase they dont get it, wont get it and are too obsesses with straight hair to see the beauty in it.

It sounds protective to me. With a satin cap, a stocking cap and a wig, I don't think that your hair will get damaged.

I don't share my hair goals with anyone who isn't also on a hair journey so I don't have to deal with skeptics. I don't actually talk about hair unless it is someone I know is on a hair journey and is somewhat opened minded. It's just a waste of time.

Just watch the edges. Regular use of elasticky type things around the hairline can take your hair off and you'll never notice it till it's gone. I think there's a thread in here about safe wig wearing that everyone should read if they plan to use wigs for protective styling and hair grow out.

Sounds like you're on point with your protective styling, but make sure to be very careful with your hairline while you're wigging it. :yep:

As far as other women that skoff.. don't let them discourage you and if they insist on being negative, don't share your goals with them. Those type of people you have to ignore. Let your progress speak for itself! :yep:

I keep my length goals to myself or only share with the online hair community because I used to get too many side eyes when I would tell people how long my hair was going to be at the end of the year. Now when friends and family see my hair straightened they always have 50-11 questions on what to do with their hair.
If what you are doing is working for you and your hair, stick to it! :yep:

Thank you all for the wonderful comments and suggestions! Seriously, I feel so much better. With time, I'll let my progress speak for itself :D

Back