So many Questions!...Well really just 3..

UniquelyDivine

Ok here is the deal,I have been struggling with retaining growth and its really starting to get to me :sad:.I have been on my healthy hair journey for about 6 months not and while I have noticed a slight difference in health, I'm stuck like chuck at SL ! I know its growing because my new growth gets wilder and wilder each month, I have been trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong and hoping some kind soul can set me on the right path!

Question #1-Is air drying bad?

I always thought it was a good thing but after reading that it leaves some folks hair feeling dry and brittle, I'm wondering if maybe its just not right for my hair? I usually just let put it in a messy bun and let it dry, but sometimes I will just let it hang free.

Question #2-Is it still lacking moisture or not enough protein?

I dealt with protein overload a while back and I drenched my hair in nothing but moisture and it stopped but then it started to break from that as well so I added a mild protein back into my line up, however I'm still dealing with the breakage :wallbash:. Its pretty mild and only small pieces but still! Should I try a hardcore protein or add even more moisture?

Question #3-Is it my regimen?

I wash once a week with either Scala 3G ceramides shampoo or organix coconut...just depends. I also condition with either organix coconut conditioner or scala 3G ceramides and shea butter treatment..again just depends. After my shampoo I apply NTM and paul mitchell anti snap leave in treatment, and top it off with some good ol coconut oil and let it air dry in a loose bun.

I deep condition once a week on dry hair with a mixture of EVOO and cream of nature deep condition treatment for an hour with heat.

My daily regimen is NTM applied throughout my hair then sealed with coconut oil, I protective style everyday with either a half wig or a bun, flat iron 2x a month sometimes more if my edges are acting up..

Any help is greatly appreciated!!!

air drying is not bad. naturals and relaxed ladies air dry with great results. it cuts down on heat usage which can cause damage after a while.

maybe you should clarify your hair and then do a really deep moisturizing treatment. the next week do a light protein treatment and see what happens.

Air drying is bad for me, my hair is much more manageable/smoother now that I blow dry on cool. I am 11 months into my transition.

My hair hates hates HATES airdrying hanging loose, it gets brittle and dry. it has to be in a bun or braid or plait, etc. i dunno about the protein/moisture balance tho, sorry. im sure someone else will chime in.

I always thought it was a good thing but after reading that it leaves some folks hair feeling dry and brittle, I'm wondering if maybe its just not right for my hair? I usually just let put it in a messy bun and let it dry, but sometimes I will just let it hang free.

Are you using leave in conditioner? Air drying is all about your leave in's. Using the proper leave in's will allow your hair to airdry moisturized and tangle free.

I dealt with protein overload a while back and I drenched my hair in nothing but moisture and it stopped but then it started to break from that as well so I added a mild protein back into my line up, however I'm still dealing with the breakage :wallbash:. Its pretty mild and only small pieces but still! Should I try a hardcore protein or add even more moisture?

Your moisture protein balance is off. What products did you use?

I wash once a week with either Scala 3G ceramides shampoo or organix coconut...just depends. I also condition with either organix coconut conditioner or scala 3G ceramides and shea butter treatment..again just depends. After my shampoo I apply NTM and paul mitchell anti snap leave in treatment, and top it off with some good ol coconut oil and let it air dry in a loose bun.

You need a moisturizing shampoo I believe organix coconut has keratin, and Redken anti snap is also protein. Your balance is off what works for me is if I use a moisturizing shampoo I use a protein condish.

Then the following week I use a protein shampoo and use a moisturizing conditioner.

The same with your leave in's one has to be moisturizing and one has to be protein in order to keep a balance.

I deep condition once a week on dry hair with a mixture of EVOO and cream of nature deep condition treatment for an hour with heat.

My daily regimen is NTM applied throughout my hair then sealed with coconut oil, I protective style everyday with either a half wig or a bun, flat iron 2x a month sometimes more if my edges are acting up..

Any help is greatly appreciated!!![/QUOTE]

Reevaluate your products ensure that whatever product you have you use one that's moisturizing and one that's protein and make sure that they are equal in strength for instance you wouldn't use a heavy protein and then light moisture. If you use a heavy protein use heavy moisture to balance. If you use a light moisture use a light protein.

I believe hairlista.com has a list of moisture based shampoos conditioners, and leave in's

and Protein Shampoo's, conditioner's and leave in's to help you select the right products.

Hope this helps a little.

Last edited:
Ok here is the deal,I have been struggling with retaining growth and its really starting to get to me :sad:.I have been on my healthy hair journey for about 6 months not and while I have noticed a slight difference in health, I'm stuck like chuck at SL ! I know its growing because my new growth gets wilder and wilder each month, I have been trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong and hoping some kind soul can set me on the right path!

Any help is greatly appreciated!!!

1. I don't think so. I think it's just a matter of finding what works for your hair - which is pretty much what makes this whole hair thing such a gamble. Some women simply airdry, others with thinner or fine hair rollerset their hair without heat, still others wrap their hair with silk or satin scarfs, or even wrap it around their ends like a ponytail shield as a way of protecting their hair. Keep trying, experiment a little, write down your results and try to see what is the most beneficial.

2. The moisture/protein game is hard, I still struggle with it but I got some great advice and I've also learned a lot. 1. Too much of a good thing is never a good thing. Balance is key and what happens is you experienced total absence of something and ran with moisture, while this helped bring your hair back from moisture deficiency it slowly began to also take it's toll. Think of it this way, drinking water is a good thing and if you're dehydrated you need more water than usual. However if you drink too much then you risk causing just as many issues. In an extreme case a woman actually died from consuming too much water, so it's all about balance. Just think of your hair breaking as it's way of telling you you've reached your goal and now need to focus on balance again. Keep in mind some people's hair prefers moisture to protein so it will never be 'do this x amount of times' but what you can do is try to set up a stable regime, make subtle changes and see how your hair reacts.

My advice: Moisturize daily, deep condition 1x a week, use a mild protein weekly, hard protein 1x a month and like I said moniter changes, record positive or negative growth and experiment carefully.

I used to seal my hair ontop of a moisturizer daily but found the excess moisture wasn't good for ME, I stopped and stuck with simply using Chi Keratin Mist + a moisturizer and the breakage stopped significantly. I quickly figured out sealing should probably wait till the dryer winter months, I recorded the positive growth and realized that tiny protein treatment worked great for ME.

3. I don't see anything wrong with your routine but your hair may still be recovering. Sometimes it's not about products, sometimes it's just about letting your hair slowly recover from a bad period and giving it the good stuff it needs. Basically just like recovering from a cold. Sure it may not seem like anything is instantly happening when you take your medicine but you know it's working on a deeper level and in time you'll see the effects.

Back