So let me get this straight. AVEDA color is only available

sprungonhairboards

in an Aveda salon? You can't buy the color to apply yourself right? I've been scouring for info for days and of course the board was down when I needed you guys most. So far all I came up with is that you can only get the color done at an Aveda salon. They don't sell it on the Aveda site or anywhere. I saw some on ebay but they have different kinds. I know some you mix with something else (whatever that would be) and some you don't. I don't know which is which on ebay. Plus I want to see a color palate. :confused:

I really need to dye my gray but I don't go to salons and all the salons I've seen that use Aveda are white salons and I've never been to a white salon and I'm scurred. :sad: I can't see them knowing what to do with my hair once water hits it and it changes form, length and texture. Maybe I'll have them dye it and wash it and go home and do it myself. :confused:

sprungonhairboards said:
in an Aveda salon? You can't buy the color to apply yourself right? I've been scouring for info for days and of course the board was down when I needed you guys most. So far all I came up with is that you can only get the color done at an Aveda salon. They don't sell it on the Aveda site or anywhere. I saw some on ebay but they have different kinds. I know some you mix with something else (whatever that would be) and some you don't. I don't know which is which on ebay. Plus I want to see a color palate. :confused:

I really need to dye my gray but I don't go to salons and all the salons I've seen that use Aveda are white salons and I've never been to a white salon and I'm scurred. :sad: I can't see them knowing what to do with my hair once water hits it and it changes form, length and texture. Maybe I'll have them dye it and wash it and go home and do it myself. :confused:
The only folx I allow to color my hair is white folx...No offense! They tend to take all the color classes and updates a lil more serious than we do. What I mean is they focus more on what they do and us on what we do....Ya know?

My color is done at an Aveda concept salon and my color usally is da bomb! The guy who does my hair is Arabic and he hooks me up with the perfect combo of highs and lows. Now, right now I look like an old grey mair...Cuz dude is in Europe....So I needs to be retouched...stat!

I 100% trust them to COLOR it and would have no problem with that. Especially an Aveda stylist. I just don't trust them to DO it afterwards, rollersetting, flatiron, COMBING, :lol: etc.

I have an upcoming apointment at the institute. I will post my experiences. I don't have a problem with the skin color or race of the stylist. It's all in the exeperience. Some black stylists can't do natural hair.

JG- May I ask how much do you pay at the salon? I think my hair services will cost $100.

sprungonhairboards said:
I 100% trust them to COLOR it and would have no problem with that. Especially an Aveda stylist. I just don't trust them to DO it afterwards, rollersetting, flatiron, COMBING, :lol: etc.
You might be pleasantly surprised at how well they can style your hair. I say go for it!

Country gal said:
I have an upcoming apointment at the institute. I will post my experiences. I don't have a problem with the skin color or race of the stylist. It's all in the exeperience. Some black stylists can't do natural hair.

JG- May I ask how much do you pay at the salon? I think my hair services will cost $100.
Wow, CG, $100 at the Aveda Institute? For that price, you must be getting a base color, highlights, deep conditioner, press/flat iron and a facial.

balisi said:
You might be pleasantly surprised at how well they can style your hair. I say go for it!

I know that's right! I had a white man do my hair using Aveda products and that was the best salon experience I have ever had. NO stylists has yet to top him!

Country gal said:

It's $65- $135 depending on what I get.

If he foils
Then blends
Then slaps another layer
Then cuts
It's $135

If he retouches it's $65

I go to the Aveda Concept salon, which is a franchise I guess?

Really? I ono. Maybe if I was relaxed with straight hair I'd feel more comfortable. I havent been to a salon in years and would be really nervous about going out of my comfort zone 1st time back. I remember the crazy looks and the 'we dont do that kind of hair' responses I would get when my grandmother would take me to one of her salons when I was little. Yes I was literally told that on more than one occassion. She had the wash rollerset and go hair but me? :nono: They didnt even own a pressing comb or know what a relaxer was! I guess things have changed. I know that some of the best coloring and cutting is done at the white salons. But all I've ever seen them do as far as styling is pulling with that round brush and blowdrying and something with foil:confused: And I've NEVER seen a black person in a white salon. EVER. Not in L.A.

So does that mean I can't buy the color or what?!?

I really want to dye my hair but I only want to use Aveda and if Kimberlys Caucasion cuts is my only option then dangit I'm willing to give it a shot.:lol: I'm holding ya'll responsible though.

JamericanGurl said:
The only folx I allow to color my hair is white folx...No offense! They tend to take all the color classes and updates a lil more serious than we do. What I mean is they focus more on what they do and us on what we do....Ya know?

My color is done at an Aveda concept salon and my color usally is da bomb! The guy who does my hair is Arabic and he hooks me up with the perfect combo of highs and lows. Now, right now I look like an old grey mair...Cuz dude is in Europe....So I needs to be retouched...stat!

:lachen: Ok Granny Fanny! Is the color chemical free? I want color w/o use of chemical. I was just at Aveda online site over the weekend looking for information about their color services. I was thinking of visiting the S.C institute. I also wanted to check out Paul Mitchell (the school) in Virginia.

sprungonhairboards said:
Really? I ono. Maybe if I was relaxed with straight hair I'd feel more comfortable. I havent been to a salon in years and would be really nervous about going out of my comfort zone 1st time back. I remember the crazy looks and the 'we dont do that kind of hair' responses I would get when my grandmother would take me to one of her salons when I was little. Yes I was literally told that on more than one occassion. She had the wash rollerset and go hair but me? :nono: They didnt even own a pressing comb or know what a relaxer was! I guess things have changed. I know that some of the best coloring and cutting is done at the white salons. But all I've ever seen them do as far as styling is pulling with that round brush and blowdrying and something with foil:confused: And I've NEVER seen a black person in a white salon. EVER. Not in L.A.

So does that mean I can't buy the color or what?!?

I really want to dye my hair but I only want to use Aveda and if Kimberlys Caucasion cuts is my only option then dangit I'm willing to give it a shot.:lol: I'm holding ya'll responsible though.
I don't believe that Aveda color is readily available to the consumer on a retail basis. It's certainly not offered in their stores. I would be skeptical of any Aveda color being sold on ebay.

They were using the foil method of highlighting hair.

I had my color done there this past February (The Institute). It was $25 for a one process color with style, but she had no idea what to do with my kinky hair :) I would definitely go back though...

sprungonhairboards said:

i got my hair dyed at an aveda (white) salon and she did a great job. she did good with styling too. it was funny because the first time she combed my hair she used a small tooth comb and of course it was difficult. when i went back a second time she had a wide tooth/shower comb. i was cracking up :lol:
she put lots of heat protectant on it and flat ironed. she could have roller set but i didn't want to be there all day.

she told me that they actually have to do "all" types of hair. they were having classes the following week to "stay up" on their skills. they were going to do mizahni relaxers that week.

so all in all i was satisfied with the experience and she did "exactly" what i asked. i would give it a shot. good luck :)

To be on the safe side, I am bringing in $100. I plan on coloring my whole head and then adding highlights. I wonder how they will style my natural hair too.

JamericanGurl said:

How much do you pay for these type services? I have an appointment aon the 15 of April and I want to make sure I am not paying too much. I am having a base color done (like a caramel brown) and highlight (using the foil method- a honey blonde color). I got the idea from February issue of Essence. They had a picture of Iman in the area where they are talking about hair color with the change of the seasons. At the salon I am going to the stylist is caucasian too and I have to admit I am hesitant. But, I have to admit two things that I have seen other ethnicities do well and that is cut and color.

sprungonhairboards said:

I think that is my thing too. Especially since I am stretching (currently 16 weeks)

Country gal said:

Okay thanks for asking this because at my consultation, mine was quoted to be about the same and I wanted to be sure I was being charged right. But I am also weighing in the quality of the service. I am willing to pay for quality service and a beautiful outcome.

BTW.. I don't have a problem with skin color either. My concern is whether or not they have experience with doing AA hair and are they comfortable with doing it.

JamericanGurl said:
It's $65- $135 depending on what I get.

If he foils
Then blends
Then slaps another layer
Then cuts
It's $135

If he retouches it's $65

I go to the Aveda Concept salon, which is a franchise I guess?

Thanks because that is exactly what she quoted.

firecracker said:
:lachen: Ok Granny Fanny! Is the color chemical free? I want color w/o use of chemical. I was just at Aveda online site over the weekend looking for information about their color services. I was thinking of visiting the S.C institute. I also wanted to check out Paul Mitchell (the school) in Virginia.

There are some chemicals but it is mainly plant based. That is how it was explained to me by the stylist.

I think I may be paying to much for the institute since it is a school. It seems like you ladies are going to the Aveda salon.

Okay, I am back. I am cancelling my appointment at the salon and I am going to the school. The school is only going to charge me $55.00 as oppose to $135.00. Hey, I love great work and great products but if I can get it for less I will. Thanks to all the LHCF ladies for your imput! I truly appreciate it. Now, I don't break my hair budget!

And they were cool with me stretching my relaxer.

Back