So, last night I went to a speed-dating event . . .

Glib Gurl

(Swiped from my blog: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/blogs/20702-glib-gurl/23131-adventures-speed-dating.html)

So last night me and my BFF went to a black speed dating event. And here's how it went . . .

Despite advertising that it would be an equal number of women and men, there were at least 2 women for each guy . . . know how I know? Every other time the women had no one to talk to (they did a musical chairs kind of thing where the men rotated). In fact, the men were so slow in showing up they ended up pulling dudes OFF THE STREET (like, "Hey, there's a dating event - wanna come?") and started about an hour and a half late. *smh*

During the speed dating, I found that men have very limited conversation skills. Basically, of the 20 guys I talked to, the opening lines were generally one of the following:
  • "So, what brings you here?" (Duh, I want to meet a guy.)
  • "You got any kids?"
  • "You mind dating a guy with kids?"
  • "You married?" (No lie - at least 4 guys asked me that. WTF?)
Yeah. And then there was the one dude who said I looked like Queen Latifah. *blank stare* (Really, though?) And some dudes were straight rude. Talking to you, but clearly checking out the girl to your right or left. Or acting uninterested, like, "So, which one are you?" Ultimately, there were only 5 guys out of the 20 who I gave high enough marks to that I might get a match . . . but I am not really expecting anything in return as none of them bothered to chat me up once the "mixer" portion started. So, whatever.

Despite my review above, I do think it was worth going. It was nice to get all gussied up and just get out there. Right now, I'm about trying to increase the number of guys I meet and just go out and have some fun. So in that respect, I did accomplish something. I would be willing to go again . . . but yeah, I don't think I found "him" last night. *lol*

(Swiped from my blog: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/blogs/20702-glib-gurl/23131-adventures-speed-dating.html)

So last night me and my BFF went to a black speed dating event. And here's how it went . . .

Despite advertising that it would be an equal number of women and men, there were at least 2 women for each guy . . . know how I know? Every other time the women had no one to talk to (they did a musical chairs kind of thing where the men rotated). In fact, the men were so slow in showing up they ended up pulling dudes OFF THE STREET (like, "Hey, there's a dating event - wanna come?") and started about an hour and a half late. *smh*

During the speed dating, I found that men have very limited conversation skills. Basically, of the 20 guys I talked to, the opening lines were generally one of the following:
  • "So, what brings you here?" (Duh, I want to meet a guy.)
  • "You got any kids?"
  • "You mind dating a guy with kids?"
  • "You married?" (No lie - at least 4 guys asked me that. WTF?)
Yeah. And then there was the one dude who said I looked like Queen Latifah. *blank stare* (Really, though?) And some dudes were straight rude. Talking to you, but clearly checking out the girl to your right or left. Or acting uninterested, like, "So, which one are you?" Ultimately, there were only 5 guys out of the 20 who I gave high enough marks to that I might get a match . . . but I am not really expecting anything in return as none of them bothered to chat me up once the "mixer" portion started. So, whatever.

Despite my review above, I do think it was worth going. It was nice to get all gussied up and just get out there. Right now, I'm about trying to increase the number of guys I meet and just go out and have some fun. So in that respect, I did accomplish something. I would be willing to go again . . . but yeah, I don't think I found "him" last night. *lol*
I was thinking about going to a speed dating event.
I'm such a scaredy cat though.

Good for you for getting out and trying something new, Glib. Sometimes these things pan out, other times they don't.

As far as the conversational skills of them men, I'm not surprised. I've found it more and more difficult to encounter men who can initiate, lead, and sustain a stimulating conversation. Nowadays a lot of men think that asking a woman fitty-leven questions is conversing. Then they want to feel some kind of way when you don't ask them anything. They say, "Is there anything you want to know about me?" And I think to myself, ummm, I don't have a set list of questions that I want to know about every man. I simply tell them, "Nope," and keep it moving.

i commend you for stepping out, glib
i've always wanted to try speed dating but haven't seen any in my area

did you have to pay? if not, maybe that would increase the quality of the men

Good for you, Glib Gurl. You always seem to have a positive attitude about getting out there and dating.

I have always wanted to try speed dating...just for fun and giggles though. It's more like 2 or 3 degrees of separation in my city and I live in a large city. I like new faces...

YOU DO NOT LOOK LIKE QUEEN LATIFAH!!!! what in the world!!! :perplexed These rude arse men!!! arghhh

Not that latifah is ugly but you look nothing like her!!!

I've never gone to speed dating! Those can be tough... as we see from your post.

yeah I too think it's great that you tried it but I'm sure your [like] NEXT!! :ohwell:

You do NOT look like Queen Latifah. You look WAY better!!!!!!!

That was an unprofessional event. They are supposed to verify these things before it takes place. Shame on them.

I'm glad you went out. Just keep putting yourself out there!

Smdh. Hot. Mess. I wouldve left as soon as they started pulling dudes off the street!?

I didn't even realize that until one of the guys mentioned it. He asked me "What brings you here?" and when I turned the question back on him he was like, "Oh, this is just my usual hang out spot and when I came to get a drink, they asked me if I wanted to participate so I said 'Sure!'" :nono: Another guy was a "model" :rolleyes: and said his friend (the event promoter) called him and asked him to come. :look:

I'm such a scaredy cat though.

Me, too, girl . . .that's why I went with my bff. But we made sure to sit separate from each other so we wouldn't be busy talking to each other instead of the guys. It was funny, though. After a while, all us women were like, "Well, ain't nuthin' here so we might as well chat with each other." :lol:

did you have to pay? if not, maybe that would increase the quality of the men

Yes, but not a whole lot . . . basically the same thing you'd pay to get into a club

YOU DO NOT LOOK LIKE QUEEN LATIFAH!!!! what in the world!!! :perplexed These rude arse men!!! arghhh
:ohwell:

You do NOT look like Queen Latifah. You look WAY better!!!!!!!!

Thanks, y'all cuz I was like, :huh: If there's any "big girl" celebrity I resemble, it's Mo'Nique :lachen:

Glib your post reminds me of the speed dating event I organized last yr that was catered to black professionals. It ended up working out okay, but remember 2 night prior to the event I think I had 30 women signed up and less than 15 men. I was freaking out. I love planning things, but I swear that one event took about 3 yrs off my life :lol:

Sigh... never again. We did have 2 couples that came out of that, and they're still together 9 months later. One of them is on track to getting married! So I guess it was worth it. :rolleyes:

I only say that b/c I just wanted to let you know how difficult it is to plan these sorts of things! Maybe a multicultural one would have had a better turnout?

I'm glad you enjoyed yourself though. :yep:

^^^I'm sure it is difficult to get the guys to come out . . . I mean, what can you do really besides not have a cost of admission or offer free cocktails?

Back